View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Ever buy em' something?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:58 pm 
born to perform.

Have you ever told somebody dessert was on you to try and get a future show out of them or anything like that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:19 pm 
born to perform.

It could insult them - I mean generally RICH people will hire you, if they are rich, then telling them you will buy their desert may offend. It's also a risk, if dessert costs them... $20 - That is $20 that probably wont pay off.

Just some thoughs, opinion, ya know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:20 am 
Penguin

Just toss a cook 3 bucks and they'll usually make you anything you ask them to. LOL! (the cooks basically steal on your behalf so don't get caught)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:03 pm 
born to perform.

4_6 wrote:
It could insult them - I mean generally RICH people will hire you, if they are rich, then telling them you will buy their desert may offend. It's also a risk, if dessert costs them... $20 - That is $20 that probably wont pay off.

Just some thoughs, opinion, ya know.

I agree

Post subject: Walkaround Key
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:35 pm 
Penguin

The main thing that you need to have is a trick that will let you leave something with the laymen. If they receive a souvenir from you then they will think much more of you. Trust me, if you want them to remember you and think about booking you then leave them with something.

Jordan Merrick

Post subject: Re: Walkaround Key
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:05 pm 
Penguin

will_pay_for_LESSONS wrote:
The main thing that you need to have is a trick that will let you leave something with the laymen. If they receive a souvenir from you then they will think much more of you. Trust me, if you want them to remember you and think about booking you then leave them with something.

Jordan Merrick

yea make them balloons....

Post subject: Whatever is easiest for you
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:17 pm 
Penguin

If you want to leave them with a signed card, a paper rose or anything else. Leave them with something that they will remember you by. It's not your magic that you want them to remember, it is you that you want them to remember.

The magician should be remembered, not his magic.

Last edited by will_pay_for_LESSONS on Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:09 am 
born to perform.

Oh so your Zach Waldman? I was wondering when youd start pitching at penguin instead of the cafe. Still, your course seems good.

Post subject: Only A Friend
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:57 pm 
Penguin

I hate to tell you this, but I am only one of Zach's friends. Just helping him out, but I completely agree with you about how good the course is. It is an amazing course and if you are thinking of buying it then you should just go ahead and do it because you will make the money that you spent back in no time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:57 pm 
born to perform.

Sirbrad get a load of this lol!!! Just kidding, I am not planning on buyng the course $97 seems too steep. Maybe in the future though, why did Zach get banned from the cafe?

Post subject: Haha
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:26 pm 
Penguin

I'm not quite sure why he got kicked out of the Magic Cafe'. You actually aren't allowed to put that link onto here (and of course I did and got caught); I told him about it and he said that I have a long ways to go in order to catch up with him because he has been completely banned from the Magic Cafe'. If you want me to, I could ask him what he did to get banned from there.

-Jordan

Post subject: Re: Ever buy em' something?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:54 pm 

Sweepingreaper4 wrote:
Have you ever told somebody dessert was on you to try and get a future show out of them or anything like that?

I would highly suggest NEVER doing this. Buying dessert for a table is actually more likely to do the opposite than what you want. It lowers your social value big time. It seems like your just doing a nice thing, but people truly look down on that, especially if they can sense that you are looking for something in return (and they will sense your intentions no matter if its talked about or not).

It's like buying a woman you don't know a drink when your out. Soooooo many guys think that's the way to talk to a woman but it is actually the opposite. It's a great way to have an attractive woman maybe engage in some small talk with you then immediately kick you to the curb. Why? Because you've haven't proven your social worth to them at all. You don't look like a person of self-confidence, of pride in yourself, or that you consider yourself worthy or "same level" as others. And so, what you may think is kind act or gesture, immediately causes you to lose face and value.

You never want to approach your magic like a door to door salesman, i.e: "Hey do I got a deal for you!" You never want to appear to be begging, or in need of work. Instead, you should always strive to be fun, easy going, and worth something. Instead of presenting the image, "I need a gig please hire me," instead work on the image of "I'm in demand, and you want me. You need me."

Think about it. How many people who try to sell things by offering you something (like door to door sales or phone solicitors) get hung up on or a door in the face, and usually pretty immediately. There's something about that sales tactic that shuts people down. Now think about companies like Louis Vuitton, Gucci, etc. Super wealthy and popular companies that you'd be hard pressed to even see a commercial for! That's because products like that have spent a tremendous amount of time working on their image to the point that THEY are in demand. And because of that demand, the name immediate is extremely valuable. You want to be in demand, and always carrying yourself as if you are is crucial to success. You are Louis Vuitton... your not going to buy something for someone else! No way! They are going to buy from you, and by the end be begging for more!

Far too many magicians lose their social value before they even get a chance to show off the good stuff they've got. And in this business, your social value counts for so much more than your technical proficiency as far as making the first impression needed to get the gig.

The lesson: Never buy your potential clients anything as a way to entice them to hire you. And never buy a woman a drink who hasn't first earned that respect, (and knows she's got to earn it). :wink:

Post subject: Re: Ever buy em' something?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:04 pm 
born to perform.

B_Magic wrote:
It's like buying a woman you don't know a drink when your out. Soooooo many guys think that's the way to talk to a woman but it is actually the opposite. It's a great way to have an attractive woman maybe engage in some small talk with you then immediately kick you to the curb.

Unless you buy them REALLY big drink, then you can get em for a while. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:05 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Yeah I posted about Zach on the Cafe, as I wondered what happened to the posts. http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view ... 23&forum=5

I think I pretty much summed up what happened. He went over the line with his marketing. Also, very clever posting your "affiliate link" in hopes of getting your course free. :lol:

Post subject: Haha
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:10 pm 
Penguin

Well I do what I can for myself. I have to say that doing it here did work though, until I found out that I was doing something wrong. And they have now all been deleted. Oh well.

But as 4_6 said earlier, the price is too much for me. At least it is if I can get it for free by just putting a link into a forum after helping somebody out. Go to MagicianSchool.com and check out their forum. My name is 20magician20 and I have my link right under my name. Take a look. They don't sell stuff there, so I will be able to continue posting things over there. But their site isn't nearly as popular as this one. That's pretty funny that Zach did that though.

-Jordan