View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:35 am 
born to perform.

I'm not surprised that ITBTWC never lit your wick. It's not the source I'd recommend starting with, just as I'm not one of those guys who will advise beginner cardworkers to rush out and buy Born to Perform.

Get Bobo's Modern Coin Magic. If you are on a tight budget and are uncertain about whether or not you want to really commit to coin work, you can get the $10 Dover version (which is actually in the public domain); however, I'd make the effort to find a copy of the Magic Inc. edition (The New Modern Coin Magic) which contains additional material that I believe is worth the extra bucks -- plus it's a hardcover.

Also buy David Roth's Expert Coin Magic DVDs, which I believe are currently available in a well-priced 3-volume set. Bobo's book and the Roth set are perfect complements. To be honest, that is really all you need. Seriously.

There's some other stuff I can suggest, but not until you've picked up that material and decided how much you wanted to commit to coinwork.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:37 pm 
born to perform.

ravanah wrote:

Yep i have the Magic menus.

And again, I'm not looking for magic tricks but rather for Miracles.

I just ordered Richard Sanders Extreme Burn. I know how the trick works but i am getting the DVD for the special something and for his teachings. This looks like real magic .... Cutting a rope and restoring it is not a miracle to my eyes.

Any advice?

Don't discount the rope. Have you seen Richard Sanders' Fiber Optics? It's beautiful eye candy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:52 pm 

ravanah wrote:
...And again, I'm not looking for magic tricks but rather for Miracles.

I just ordered Richard Sanders Extreme Burn. I know how the trick works but i am getting the DVD for the special something and for his teachings. This looks like real magic .... Cutting a rope and restoring it is not a miracle to my eyes...

That's because you have no idea how to perform. No if you do it as a trick it is not a miracle, however, if you perform it as a magician it becomes a miracle. That's the difference between doing tricks and being a real magician. I constantly get comments like "how did he do that?" And "That was a miracle!" from my audiences because each effect is performed and has a story that interests the people.

To see the difference watch Eugene Burger. Everything he does is very simple but knocks people on their butts.
Paddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:38 am 
Penguin

I'd recommend any multiple effect DVD by Jay Sankey. He is a restaurant worker himself, so all the effects are audience-tested. Added bonus is that his magic is often off the beaten path, making your magic likely unique compared to other magicians in your area (unless you live near Sankey himself).

Of course, he's got a somewhat crazy performance identity, so it has to fit you already, or you need to be able to adapt the routines to fit your own needs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:59 am 
born to perform.

I agree that Sankey's coin work is great but,

Dude!!! Some of it is SERIOUSLY difficult. Part of it is that I have long lankey fingers (which suck for coins). Part of it is that I'm a little lazy to practice. Part of it is............. it's just plain hard. I'm not a beginning coin worker, but I wouldn't recomend his stuff unless you are ready to put in some serious work.

Ted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:36 pm 
Team Penguin

macgyver5111 wrote:
I'd recommend any multiple effect DVD by Jay Sankey. He is a restaurant worker himself, so all the effects are audience-tested. Added bonus is that his magic is often off the beaten path, making your magic likely unique compared to other magicians in your area (unless you live near Sankey himself).

Of course, he's got a somewhat crazy performance identity, so it has to fit you already, or you need to be able to adapt the routines to fit your own needs.

I agree, with most of it.

I highly reccomend anything by Sankey you can get your hands on. However, he is not a restaraunt worker anymore, and a lot of the stuff he releases he hasn't tried on anyone.

That isn't to say it is bad, it might even be that it is good in that all of it doesn't have to be done in Sankey style.

I really like everything he has ever put out. Buy as much as you can!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:34 pm 

Popchris wrote:

I agree, with most of it.

I highly reccomend anything by Sankey you can get your hands on. However, he is not a restaraunt worker anymore, and a lot of the stuff he releases he hasn't tried on anyone.
That isn't to say it is bad, it might even be that it is good in that all of it doesn't have to be done in Sankey style.

I really like everything he has ever put out. Buy as much as you can!

That doesn't at all concern you? :? The test of an effect is in its performance. I will NEVER knowingly support any magician who is marketing untested stuff.

It's one thing to publish incomplete ideas for others to (hopfuly) improve on - Marlo did it all the time... It's quite another to not have 'quality control' standards like that. I'm a little disapointed in Sankey.