View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

are you a comedy magicain?
yes 70%  70%  [ 7 ]
no 30%  30%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 10
 Post subject: comedy magic
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:02 am 
Penguin

ok... so all of my tricks have at least 2 jokes in them that always make people laugh. so im wondering should i have a few serious tricks with no jokes? or make every trick comedy.

Last edited by btmmy on Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:37 am 
born to perform.

The performance of magic does not require comedy. If you are a comedy magician, add all the jokes you can; if you are a magician, use jokes sparingly and appropriately.

There is no golden ratio of comedy to magic that will make yoru act an automatic success. The content of your act depends on who you are as a performer. Rather than asking us how many jokes you should include, you should ask yourself why you include the jokes you tell.

I do not bill myself as a comedy magician, and I make that clear to my clients. Nonetheless, there is almost always laughter during my shows. My performances almost always include humor, but very few of my routines include scripted jokes.

Last edited by TheCaffeinator on Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:24 am 

Caffinator, what you say is true but there is one exception. Busking, or if your restaurant gig depends on tips. Then the key is "FUNNY IS MONEY." When going for tips you got to keep them laughing. Humour releases the keys to the wallet.

Paddy

Last edited by paddy on Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:20 am 
born to perform.

paddy wrote:
Caffinator, what you say is true but there is one exception. Busking, or if your restaurant gig depends on tips. Then the kiy is "FUNNY IS MONEY." When going for tips you got to keep them laughing. Humour releases the keys to the wallet.

Paddy

Exactly. There is some truth to the "Funny is Money" rule for corporate stage work, as well. Like I said... add comedy where appropriate and with a clear sense of why you are adding it. You've given a perfect example of having a clear reason for adding the comedy to the magic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:35 pm 

Laughing sets off a psychological reaction. If people are laughing, then they naturally associate it with having a good time and associate that good time with whoever is causing their laughter. By making them laugh, you're making them like you. For that reason, I throw a lot of humor into my act.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:46 pm 
Team Penguin

I have never been THAT much of a comedy guy, but I always have a few laughs here and there and people always have a good time.

So, no, not REALLY, but I am not SERIOUS either, so...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:11 am 

One thing should be stressed and that is go with your character. Max Maven's character is very serious, like Eugene Burger's, but I have met both of them and in person they are funny as all getout. You'd never know that by their acts. If humour works for you, use it, if serious stories fut you, use that. If you can blend both, DO IT!