View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Restaurant Salary
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:42 pm 
Penguin

What is the average restaurant salary for a magician. Is it possible if some of the more experienced magicians post their salaries or yearly incomes. I know its considered taboo to ask what someone makes, but Im thinking about entering the field full-time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:12 am 
Penguin

Around 50.00 (U.S.) per hour

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:29 pm 

WRONG ANSWER kconnors. As a rsetaurant entertainer you don't make a salary. You don't work for the restaurant at all. You work for yourself and the restaurant pays you what you can charge them, that amount will vary depending on your location.

If you get a salary, then the restaurant covers your benefits and takes out taxes, working for yourself YOU have to pay all taxes and provide liability insurance. Last year 2008, I paid taxes on income (strictly from magic) of over US$40,000. The exact figure is between me and the I.R.S. But that is lower than my taxable income. My gross was obviously much higher.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 1:50 pm 
Penguin

paddy wrote:
WRONG ANSWER kconnors. As a rsetaurant entertainer you don't make a salary. You don't work for the restaurant at all. You work for yourself and the restaurant pays you what you can charge them, that amount will vary depending on your location.

If you get a salary, then the restaurant covers your benefits and takes out taxes, working for yourself YOU have to pay all taxes and provide liability insurance. Last year 2008, I paid taxes on income (strictly from magic) of over US$40,000. The exact figure is between me and the I.R.S. But that is lower than my taxable income. My gross was obviously much higher.

why is it that I find this rather unbelievable?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:21 pm 

I'm glad you find my amounts unbelievable. You are right that is not the actual amount I make. It is only the amount I admit to making and pay taxes on. My income is actually higher.

If you can't make a lousy $40 grand a year it's not worth the effort to be a magician. When I went full time 15 years ago my goal was to make enough to live comfortably on. I visualized myself and the results and set my goals. I wanted to get a new car every 4 years. I have achieved that goal and been successful. I will not tell anyone my exact income but it is higher than that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:52 pm 
born to perform.

$40,000.00 a year is totally doable. I made that 10 years ago when I was in restaurants full time. That's the key though. FULL TIME! You can't expect to make a living working 2 nights a week in a restaurant for 3 hours.

I found that I needed to do some other things with magic until I got to where I was working 6 nights a week. For example, I taught magic and balloon animal making at the Arvada Center for the performing arts during the day for a while. I also did as many private parties as possible during the day.

This year I'll make $40,000.00 performing eight weekends at the local theater. Our last show (which ran two weekends in April) sold over a thousand tickets. The theater only charges us $550 dollars to rent it out for two weekends. That means our $10 dollar tickets raise over $10,000.00 dollars.

My point is, I'll make $40,000.00 this year doing magic and I consider myself a part time performer who's just in it for the fun. Our cabinet shop will gross 10 times that. Stop thinking small and you will be successful. Check out our websites if you want;

thpmagic.com
tedpancoastwoodworking.com

Good Luck
Ted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 12:09 am 
Penguin

I work at a beach Bar/Grill in Florida (part-time on Fri/Sat).

I am paid by the "house" 50.00 per hr for 2 hrs. per night = 100.00

No taxes are taken out...I am paid cash directly from the bar.

(B.T.W. if you are in business for yourself...then no taxed should be withheld as you file your own taxes)

On top of that...I also make around 50.00 per night in tips.

On top of that...I have people invite me to perform at their private parties etc. as I always give out my cards.

Now, that's me...I'm not saying that is the "goal" for you....don't sell yourself short...But you must be realistic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 12:38 am 
born to perform.

I'd like to add this,

You'll get paid what you charge! The thing is, whatever it is, you'd better be worth it. Ever hear the old axiom,

"You can shear a sheep many times but skin it only once"

You need to provide value when you perform. Be it for the restaurant, birthday party, stage show audience, whatever. If you do you can charge what you want.

Ex. David Kaye has a $500.00 minimum appearance fee (he freely states that in his book). He also performs over 300 show's a year (also freely stated in his book). Add that up, that means he makes a MINIMUM of $150,000.00 dollars a year doing magic. Like I said before, stop thinking small.

Ted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 am 

KCCONNERS, $15,000 is not bad for working an extra 4 hours a week. Now the next vacation you take do some busking while on the road, you'll probably pay for your whole vacation plus make a sizable profit busking a couple of hours a day while playing around at your favourite vacation spot. That's what I do, It is really fun and makes the vacation more enjoyable. That way I can afford to really spend on luxury stuff.

Post subject: Re: Restaurant Salary
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:59 am 
born to perform.

I've been seriously thinking about doing restaurant/private parties/strolling gigs. These posts really get me motivated. Can you guys suggests the best books on the subject?

Post subject: Re: Restaurant Salary
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:18 pm 
born to perform.

I don't know about THE best but here is a good suggestion;
http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=S9959

Also make sure to watch Benji's vids linked here on Penguin.