View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Any thoughts??
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:24 pm 
born to perform.

Long story short, i met a guy at a local bar where i live whom is the music act at the bar on tuesdays. we got to talking, i told him i did magic and he said to come back next tuesday, which is now tomorrow and he will introduce me to the manager to see if they want me to do walkaround at the bar. any thoughts? i know there isnt a question in this post but anyone with experince have any comments on what the "boss" or whomever i talk to will ask of me. i am asking just to be prepared more for what i may be walking into.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 1:48 am 
born to perform.

Dress / Attire:

- Dress neatly and smart don't wear a shabby t-shirt and torn jeans
- Shave (depending on age) or at least trim so you look ad appear clean
- Shower (Basic necessity) before interview / talk
- Wear deodorant and brush your teeth (Obvious)

Basically you want to maintain a nice clean look, that shows your not some no hoper, who desperately needs the job or hasn't eaten in weeks.

Proposal:

- BE READY!
- Have a small proposal drawn up, what you will do, how long, pricing and such
- If you have a contract its nice to give them the contract at the end if they seem interested, (Contracts = Safe = Guaranteed Work)
- You may have a small resume drawn up with your proposal about what you will do, how you will do it, and at the end one or two client references.

Tricks:

- This is not necessary, I have gotten gigs without showing one trick, but someone who doesn't know you and hasn't seen you before might want to see something.
- I recommend you bring something small like a 3 trick routine that will take 5 - 10 min or so. Something that's very strong and visual (preferably something that has a nice bit of comedy in it with a lot of entertainment value, and make sure it doesn't have any offensive jokes in it that you will know a drunk will be rifled up over)

Finally:

- Act and "Be" professional in everything you say and do
- Be CONFIDENT!
- Be Polite

And that's about the basics that I would recommend you. Tell me how it goes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 2:11 am 

EXCELLENT advice, Orcishorde!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 1:55 am 
born to perform.

paddy wrote:
EXCELLENT advice, Orcishorde!

Thank you Paddy. . . I am honored . . .

Although I am only 16 soon to be 17, I have had a lot of experience in restaurant work so far and been quite successful on that front. I am "planning" within the next few weeks or so to either write up a essay on restaurant magic or write up a small PDF booklet which I will post up on the forum for a free download. Although I will intend it for people who are trying to enter restaurant magic or beginners to the topic.

- Anthony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:08 am 

Great idea. My book (which is no longer available so I can mention it0 "Making a Living Performing in Restaurants" sold OK. I printed up 100 copies and sold hem all but it took a year to do it. The PDF idea is a lot better than printing them up.

I am surprised at your age! From your posts and the way you answer some questions I really thought you were much older. I assumed that you were in your 40's and worked restaurants for several years your answers and insights are that good.

Paddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:24 am 
born to perform.

paddy wrote:
Great idea. My book (which is no longer available so I can mention it0 "Making a Living Performing in Restaurants" sold OK. I printed up 100 copies and sold hem all but it took a year to do it. The PDF idea is a lot better than printing them up.

I am surprised at your age! From your posts and the way you answer some questions I really thought you were much older. I assumed that you were in your 40's and worked restaurants for several years your answers and insights are that good.

Paddy

Well thank you :oops: . I just seem to learn from my mistakes and others quite fast. Even though I am 16 I will have fun when working and doing magic for others, but when it comes down to business it is strictly business and the point of a business is not only about making money but providing the customer with a top quality service that very few others / or no one can provide.

You cannot expect to run a business if you have no idea on how to operate your business properlly

And the same goes with that you cannot expect to know how to run a business, but not provide a good quality service and value for money, because if you cant deliver in your services then don't expect to be eating everyday, because you won't be making enough money for 3 meals a day.

I still have much to learn about magic overall, I do very little kids shows, and are still pondering over to getting into them. I prefer the cooperate and restaurant scene it's so much more open and you have a variety of options over kids in what effects you can do, the presentations that you give and your overall style of entertainment.

In the mean time I work 2 jobs. 1 job at the cinema's which is easy and close to home and the other is restaurant magic, but recently I have taken interest in quitting the cinemas and working on getting another restaurant gig. Hopefully I can pick up another one. . . Only problem is my age is a burden here and there, but I look 18, so i guess that helps a little bit. . .

- Anthony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:18 am 
Penguin

paddy wrote:
I am surprised at your age! From your posts and the way you answer some questions I really thought you were much older. I assumed that you were in your 40's

This just goes to show that the way you act and how you present yourself, as well as your speech and grammar, play a role in how people perceive you and how seriously you are taken.

[sarcasm]
This is my constructive post on this forum.
I have goosebumps.
[/sarcasm]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 2:18 am 
born to perform.

DespoticDemagogue wrote:
paddy wrote:
I am surprised at your age! From your posts and the way you answer some questions I really thought you were much older. I assumed that you were in your 40's

This just goes to show that the way you act and how you present yourself, as well as your speech and grammar, play a role in how people perceive you and how seriously you are taken.

[sarcasm]
This is my constructive post on this forum.
I have goosebumps.
[/sarcasm]

Not always. . . On a forum it is very easily to see through ones lies, especially when they are trying to speak from experience. It's just how things work, and just because one is young doesn't necessarily mean they are not skilled in their art or stereo-type idiots.