View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: tips
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:31 am 
Penguin

do any of you guys work for JUST tips? this was the way that i was thinking about trying, but i'm not exactly sure how often you actually get the tips. is there any certain things that you should consider that will get you the tips? and is it hard to get the restaurant to say yes if they are paying you, rather than the whole tips idea?

thanks for any replies!

Post subject: Re: tips
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:39 am 

You should look into Live At the Jailhouse. It's a DVD set on working restaurants that goes over EVERYTHING. It's a good set.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:15 am 
Emperor Penguin

streetmagician96 wrote:
do any of you guys work for JUST tips? this was the way that i was thinking about trying, but i'm not exactly sure how often you actually get the tips. is there any certain things that you should consider that will get you the tips? and is it hard to get the restaurant to say yes if they are paying you, rather than the whole tips idea?

thanks for any replies!

Take X's advice... and until you get the dvd set, why dont you look through the forum in this subject. This has been gone over and over again.
Most of us work for tips and an outside pay- either set or hourly.
You get tips based on how well you entertain, there is no set amount of tips or "oftenness". You wont know till you get out there, as it varries.
"What will get you tips?" Are you serious... what do they tip the waiters for? Answer that, then wonder what would they tip you for... "what are you doing there, what is your job there."

If you're really worth it, you can and should do both. Otherwise you're selling your self short.
If you're not worth both, then you probably shouldnt be working yet.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:26 pm 
Penguin

hahaha. sorry, i guess i didn't really make that too clear. an example of what i meant could be, there was this guy performing at a restaurant that i went to, and he had a pin that said "i accept tips". i wouldn't do anything like that, but is there any way to hint at your audience?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:21 pm 

streetmagician96 wrote:
hahaha. sorry, i guess i didn't really make that too clear. an example of what i meant could be, there was this guy performing at a restaurant that i went to, and he had a pin that said "i accept tips". i wouldn't do anything like that, but is there any way to hint at your audience?

I am paid by all the restaurants I work in but I wear 2 buttons, 1 says "I WORK FOR TIPS" and the other is "SUGGESTED TIP $2435.80" That way I get my money plus tips and can live very well on what I make. BTW if asked by the customers if I am paid I tell them "I live on your generosity."

Paddy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:48 am 
born to perform.

An easy way to get tips is to give a waiter $5 or $10 and in the middle of your performance at a table, the waiter comes up to you and says, "table 36 wanted me to give this to you." This shows the table you're performing for that you accept tips and that you must be good.