View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: David Stone tip collecting question...
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 7:53 pm 
Penguin

Location: In some sweet limo, with a hot girl *wakes up and cries*
Hey guys, I have a question that may be unanswerable, but if anyone knows, please help.

I watched David Stone's Real Secrets of Magic dvd set, and in it, he talks about how he gives out a notebook with bills slipped in to subtly suggest that "now is the time to tip".... I'm wondering... why else would you give them the notebook? To ask them to write something in it? Ask them to leave any comments or advice? What is the justification in giving them the book to start with?

Also, once the book has been given, how do you go about collecting it? You wouldn't want to wait for ten minutes for them all to sign it, or leave a comment, but you wouldn't neccessarily want to trust them to give it back to you while you go on to other tables, would you?

If anyone has any info on this, please let me know. I'm very curious, and I've got a couple new restaurant gigs lined up... I'm thinking about trying it at a fresh restaurant, if the solutions to my problems are answered... Obviously he has a reason to give out the book, and obviously a method to collect it, I just don't know what it is.

Thanks!
-Trix

Post subject: Re: David Stone tip collecting question...
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:50 am 
born to perform.

mmroczka wrote:
Hey guys, I have a question that may be unanswerable, but if anyone knows, please help.

I watched David Stone's Real Secrets of Magic dvd set, and in it, he talks about how he gives out a notebook with bills slipped in to subtly suggest that "now is the time to tip".... I'm wondering... why else would you give them the notebook? To ask them to write something in it? Ask them to leave any comments or advice? What is the justification in giving them the book to start with?

Also, once the book has been given, how do you go about collecting it? You wouldn't want to wait for ten minutes for them all to sign it, or leave a comment, but you wouldn't neccessarily want to trust them to give it back to you while you go on to other tables, would you?

If anyone has any info on this, please let me know. I'm very curious, and I've got a couple new restaurant gigs lined up... I'm thinking about trying it at a fresh restaurant, if the solutions to my problems are answered... Obviously he has a reason to give out the book, and obviously a method to collect it, I just don't know what it is.

Thanks!
-Trix

I have never tried it. But if I were to do it I wouldn't even mention the tips. Use the small book in a prediction or a trick of some kind. At the end just leave it there and say you will pick it up in a few minutes, write a comment about my magic or the restaurant if you wish. Go to another table or so pop back in 5 minutes and pick it up. I don't think someone would really want to steal the book to be honest, its a restaurant your not leaving it in a street show and walking away.

Post subject: Re: David Stone tip collecting question...
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:45 am 
Penguin

Location: In some sweet limo, with a hot girl *wakes up and cries*
Huh, a prediction trick could work. I could have people right comments about the magic and the restaurant. It'd make for an interesting piece to scrapbook as well. :D I'm not really worried about someone stealing the BOOK so much as I am the money inside it. *shrug* You're probably right though, still. :D

Thanks! If anyone has any more info on it, I'd be glad to hear it! :)

-Trix