View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: how much should I make working on tips?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:52 am 
Penguin

Just working on tips without pay from managment, how much money should I make for a four hour resteraunt day.

Post subject: Re: how much should I make working on tips?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:06 am 
born to perform.

Nobody can answer this question. How much you make depends on you. It depends on what restaurant you're at, where you live, how good your performance is, etc, etc.

My advice is that you shouldn't work for free.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:34 am 

Benji is right if you aren't worth a fee from the restaurant they aren't worth your time. Even a token fee like $50 a night (3 hours) shows you the restaurant values what you do.

As for tips it will vary, especially now fron Jan 15th to April 1st (In the U.S.) because credit card bilis from Xmas arrive around the 15th and Income tax refunds arrive around April so tips are lousy I've seen as low as $20 and a high of only $100 during this period.

Paddy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:47 am 
Penguin

well.....I dont know, im only fourteen. They might feel like im not a professional (which i am). As for the city thats no problem for me, I live in atlanta.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:50 am 
Penguin

also I preform angel cake from true astonishments. Which makes them think they get 19.00 or 4.00.

So based on that will they give me a high tip :?:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:59 am 
Emperor Penguin

RobertHanowell wrote:
well.....I dont know, im only fourteen. They might feel like im not a professional (which i am). As for the city thats no problem for me, I live in atlanta.

You're a professional? Really... your posts say other wise.
A professional would already know the answer to this.

Your tips wont be based on the effects you perform, but how well you perform them and how well you entertain the guest. Same as a waiter. He can bring you the most exspensive dish, but if he ignores you and is rude, he wont get a very nice tip if any.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:17 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Before you even decide to go to a restaurant and try to get hired, you need to do some research. Simply, you are not ready to try to do restaurant magic. Also, the fact that you are only 14 means that you have a lot of work to even get a restaurant to consider you. If you don't know what you are talking about, there is no way they will even waste their time.

Because of your age, you need to know exactly what you are doing, what you can do for them, and why they will benefit from having you there. Why should they have you their? If you can't answer these questions in a professional way, then you won't even have a chance.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:57 pm 
Penguin

I would never work for just tips alone. You should be paid by management and gain tips on top of it. It also doesn't help out other fellow Entertainers by working for dirt cheap.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:02 pm 
Emperor Penguin

RobertHanowell wrote:
Just working on tips without pay from managment, how much money should I make for a four hour resteraunt day.

Nothing. You're too young.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:55 am 
born to perform.

He isn't too young. I started performing in restaurants when I was 13.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:33 am 
Emperor Penguin

benji11 wrote:

If you succeeded, then you are an exception. This particular person, based on his posts here, as well as other threads, has shown that they are simply too young, as well as uninformed about this area of magic.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:53 am 
Emperor Penguin

benji11 wrote:

Depends on local laws buddy!

In some states that child labor.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:19 pm 
born to perform.

Child labor laws only restrict hours of kids under 16.

But he has to start somewhere so either you walk around on the streets and perform or perform in the restaurant. It would be ideal to have them pay you but due to lack of experience I'm sure they wouldn't feel they are getting a return on their investment so they would stop paying anyway. When I started, I did it for tips and a meal.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:52 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Child labor laws do more than restrict hours of work for people under 16. They also set a minimum age of working. I believe that is generally 14 years old here in the states.

Also, looking at the maturity that he has, getting hired to do walk around simply won't work. He cannot take criticism, which will end up badly for any restaurant that would choose to hire him.

Yes, everyone must start out somewhere, but that somewhere does not need to be something that pays.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:31 pm 
Penguin

Value is important. The management needs to see you are worth something. Working only for tips may seem like a good way to get into the door, however you reduce yourself to a peddler when you do that. What you want is for them to feel like you will bring in more customers by increased word of mouth. They will pay for this. I work for an hourly fee. I tell them its a "performance fee ". I also let the management know that I do not ask for tips but if they insist I do not want to make them feel uncomfortable and turn them down. Most tables tip after the closing effect and I do not ask or hint. Other tables see this and offer me a tip as they leave.
Carry yourself like you have value and the management will pick up on that. You will also get more bookings for outside shows this way. Many times the management will bring their family and friends to see me perform and this gets me work for corporate gigs and private parties.
Also let the management know right off the bat that your performance fee is less than your private show, because it is a good venue for you to advertise while you also bring more business to the restaurant. They will feel they are getting a deal and it will let them know you are also available for events when you are not working there.

Carry yourself like a pro and you will get paid like one. Ask equals get.

Last edited by senxo on Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.