View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Monroe's motivative sequence
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:56 pm 
Penguin

So you approach the restaurant on whatever day and get the manager to come over to you. While there are many different ways to go about getting the managers attention, many people often wonder what is the best things to say to him or her. Being prepared and having your speech ready and rehearsed is the most important thing you can do. I am going to teach you a quick way to organize your speech to present to the manager in a very effective way. It is called "Monroe's motivative sequence." This trick is used on any type of sales pitch, from cars to medicines, to your magic pitch. Picture yourself speaking to any potential client knowing this sales trick. You will guide them fluidly through your sales pitch, and change their emotions to fit your needs. It is as simple as making a proven structure to your speech. Just click this link for a quick understanding about what Monroe's sequence is. I used this structure on this opening paragraph.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monroe's_m ... d_sequence

Post subject: Re: Monroe's motivative sequence
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:03 pm 
Penguin

Of course you want to introduce yourself first but do not tell them you are a magician...yet.

Step 1: Attention

Quote:
Get the attention of your audience using a detailed story, shocking example, dramatic statistic, quotations, etc.

You must bring attention to a problem. The restaurants problem, is they do not have you working there. You can say things like "I noticed you do not have any forms of entertainment at your establishment" or something along the lines of that. Still, not mentioning you are a magician, just pointing out the problem.

In my original paragraph I said. "So you approach the restaurant on whatever day and get the manager to come over to you. While there are many different ways to go about getting the managers attention, many people often wonder what is the best things to say to him or her. " The problem is what to say to whoever is hiring you. I gave a quick image of a situation you'll be in and made you think there might be a problem.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:11 pm 
Penguin

Step 2: Need and Step 3: Satisfy

Quote:
Show how the topic applies to the psychological need of the audience members. The premise here is that audience needs are what motivates action. Go beyond establishing that there is a significant problem. There are many problems that are not particularly relevant to your audience. Show that the need will not go away by itself. Use statistics, examples, etc. Convince your audience that they each have a personal need to take action.

Quote:
You need to solve the issue. Provide specific and viable solutions that the government or communities can implement to solve the problem.

I like these two to go together because it flows naturally together, sometimes into one sentence. You tell them why they need to solve the problem previously stated. For example "while you have a fine establishment, having entertainment can prove to be beneficial because it helps with down time...ect" and then you satisfy their needs by saying "I am actually a professional magician who can help solve those problems in a positive way."

In my original paragraph I stated how "Being prepared and having your speech ready and rehearsed is the most important thing you can do. I am going to teach you a quick way to organize your speech to present to the manager in a very effective way. It is called "Monroe's motivative sequence." This trick is used on any type of sales pitch, from cars to medicines, to your magic pitch."

The need was to be prepared, satisfying was me teaching you this method. Then I threw in a bit of qualifying by saying it is effective and where else it is used. Not a part of the sequence but it does help with the "satisfying"

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:16 pm 
Penguin

Step 4: Visualization

Quote:
Tell the audience what will happen if the solution is implemented or does not take place. Be visual and detailed.

You want to make a picture in their mind. Showing someone how you can be beneficial is better than telling them what you can do. For example "Picture a long line in main entrance on a busy Saturday night, if there is a long wait I can fill that void and keep people entertained. Without an entertainer, people will start to get antsy" What you are doing is taking a real life situation and showing them why you are important. I bolded BE VISUAL AND DETAILED for a reason.

In my original paragraph I said "Picture yourself speaking to any potential client knowing this sales trick. You will guide them fluidly through your sales pitch, and change their emotions to fit your needs." Any time you have someone picturing a problem being solved using you, they will certainly be interested.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:23 pm 
Penguin

Step 5: Action

Quote:
Tell the audience what action they can take personally to solve the problem.

This is as simple as telling them what they need to do to hire you. This can be where you say "Next (pick a day), if you'd, like I can do 1 free hour of work to show you just what I can do" Or "If you are interested in making a memorable experience for your guests we can...." Try to keep this short and to the point. You want to be as direct as possible. The simpler you make it for them, the more likely they will go along with what you are saying.

In my origional paragraph I said "It is as simple as making a proven structure to your speech. Just click this link for a quick understanding about what Monroe's sequence is." This is the end of your pitch, but still the beginning of your conversation.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:53 pm 
Penguin

Closing thoughts:

If structured correctly this is a very effective sales technique that you can use in any part of your life for any show, not just restaurants. I posted it here because most people these days start out in restaurants. While this does not guarantee you getting a job, it will increase your chances greatly.

Random thoughts:

You want to keep this short sweet and to the point. NEVER insult the restaurant/client. Always be professional and make sure you don't cross the fine line when pointing out a problem. Rather than "whenever I come here I always have to wait 20 minutes to even be seated" it is better to say "I understand you have many people who enjoy coming here, but that volume of people can build up in the main entrance." You always want to compliment them and show why they are great, and you can make them even better.

When making your structure you want to start out short with the Attention phase, Your Need should be a little detailed, your Satisfy phase should be the same as your need. The Visualization phase should be very detailed, but don't go overboard. I like to stick around 3 examples. Also, try using the same examples from your Need phase. So if you say, "Things happen and sometimes there may be a delay in the kitchen" in your need phase, in the Visualization say "Suppose there is a delay in the kitchen, I can...." so you address the problem early, and they picture you solving that problem in their head. Your Action phase should be the shortest part. Quick and to the point. If it is a long detailed process on how to hire you it makes it seem like more effort and not worth it.

I have a speech written that I use every single time. I may make minor wording adjustments here or there but it is the same core speech. The more you use it the more comfortable you will be saying it and the more confident you will become.

If anyone needs help writing this up or has any questions about anything please post here and I will answer your questions to the best of my ability.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:30 am 
Penguin

Thank you for the great advice!

I'll definitely try this.