View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 6:20 pm 
Penguin

Do money tricks to them, where you borrow a short amount of money. And as you are done with the trick, and you go to return it, they usually will let you keep it. Just make sure you do money magic at the end of your routine. Because you dont want them to tip you in the middle of a routine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 1:02 pm 
born to perform.

I just ordered the resaurant workers handbook by Jim pace from Daytona. I cant wait to get this book , from what i hear it is well worth it for anyone that works restaurants.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:33 pm 
born to perform.

Alright guys here are my views.....people like to be entertained, and from what i can tell in my little bit of experience in restraunt work is people may feel bad if you reject a tip, always take the tip if offered, even if you do give it to the waitress/waiter they will usually decline, so i usually keep the tip. I dont wear a button that says "please tip 5" or anything like that. Also i have found ending with a money trick makes people feel intruded upon and it is not very often someone will let you keep this tip. Well i am kinda tired i will post more on this subject later

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:06 pm 
born to perform.

pretty good article
http://magic.about.com/library/weekly/aa082999.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:05 am 
born to perform.

collinjones812 wrote:

That was a great write up by Rick, I learned a few things and also disagree with a few things he has to say. The one major thing I disagree with is where he says not to do card magic in restaurant work. I understand not to do alot
of card magic because you will remind them of one of their uncles that does card magic. But if you do Slither on them for the 1st trick their mouth drops to the floor and right then they know you are the real deal.
As far as asking for tips I also understand how alot of magicans feel not to ask for tips if you are being paid big from the owners. But also if you ask less from the owners with the agreement that you work on tips the owner will see that you will work harder so that you make more money by getting tips. At outback steakhouse the owner is so impressed when my tips jar is full because he knows that I worked hard that night to make the tips. Understand what im saying? Anyways that was a great write up and im thankful you posted that for me to read.
If you have any other articles that help with restaurant work please post I would love to read them so that I can better my routine at tables.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 5:56 pm 
Penguin

I'd just set up my tip jar by the host stand and tell them that I also practice voodoo and remind them of ther jar's location. :X
gf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 8:49 pm 
born to perform.

flippin707 wrote:
I'd just set up my tip jar by the host stand and tell them that I also practice voodoo and remind them of ther jar's location. :X
gf

lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 4:31 am 
Penguin

Personally, I don't solicit tips, but then again I have always been well paid for my bar and restaurant work. HOWEVER, there have been times when someone at a table wants to tip me, sort of spontaneously. This is not the sort of sheepish "uhh, how much do I owe you" sort of tip offering that you sometimes get (which I always decline), but rather a genuine expression of the people wanting to say they had an especially good time. In these instances, to refuse the tip would be rude, even offensive. So I accept it (and these are usually quite big tips... I have received as much as a fifty like this).
It doesn't happen too often, but be prepared for it, as it will happen eventually.