View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: A Question for the Restuarant Worker
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 11:27 pm 
Penguin

Anyone here that works restaurants, I have a question for you.
Do you use your close-up pad for restaraunts? Because I was wondering where you would put it, except on the table that the people are eating at, but wouldn't that be a hassle, due to their plates getting in the way (and it wouldn't it be a little annoying for them too!)
If you didn't use a close-up pad at a restaraunt, then that would rule out some great card and coin tricks that you could otherwise perform...so what's the solution. Close-up pad or not?
Thanks
-Magicfan-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 7:27 am 
born to perform.

I am not yet a restaurant performer, but have been learning about it the past several days. What I've found out is that it is not a good idea to use a close-up pad. Yes, maybe this will rule out some great tricks, but you simply have to perform tricks that don't need it. This isn't really a big deal because you only have to perform a few tricks, so you can get some very solid tricks. Plus, it would be a hassle to carry the pad around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 11:20 am 
born to perform.

Yeah, it'd be a major hassle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 5:00 pm 
Penguin

I was eating with my family and I brought some magic to practice while I we waited for our food. A man from across us sitting at a table noticed wut I was doin and asked me if I would do some magic for his family while THEY WAITED for there food. I was happy to do this(more experience).I gently pushed there glasses and plates aside and did it. I know that it is a bad idea to use cards although I did. I learned my lesson during twisted sisters when I was holding the cards onto the table because the waiters and waitresses where blowing them off whenever they passed us and one of them finally bumped intop the table knocking the water onto my cards.So cards are a bad isea yet I got away with some thread and coin magic.Greg

P.S I would not recommend using a close up pad.
and bring magic next time you go out to eat to see if this happens to you!

Post subject: Close-up Pads
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:40 am 
Penguin

Common guys! I do close up for a living and a I always use a pad. You just have to bring your own table with you. A bit of investment, yes, but if you are going to be a pro, then expect it. I use a Spyder Stand with a DJ CD case. on top. On the DJ CD case is a framed close-up pad. To keep things organized inside I use a drawer orgqanizer. The whole thing cost me about $275 to make, but it gets used at least 10 hours a week. I charge $95/2 hours in a restuarant, so it pays for itself quickly. I can carry a lot of props easily. I keep the case in my car all the time so I don't have to lug it in and out of the house, and I never forget it.

Post subject: Kacy
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 7:53 am 
Penguin

Kacy,

I have a strong feeling I know who you are! See you Monday!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 11:49 am 
Penguin

Okay thanks for the feedback guys. :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 6:08 pm 

Been working in a restaurant for years, and would never carry a close up pad with me. Just a big hassle, having to carry it everywhere and having to move stuff around on the table to perform. Too much invasion for me. I like to just go....not have to set up and all that. Takes away from the performance, and will prevent people who are kinda unsure about having some magic from having you over.

Im all about convenience and practicality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 6:56 pm 
Penguin

Yeah, I am currently developing a routine where I don't need a close up pad. It should be pretty good, even though they are pretty simple tricks...I am more of a presentation guy than a rely on gimmick guy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 9:33 pm 
Penguin

Hey Kacy,

Do you think you could post a few pictures up of your table/close-up pad.

Thanks.
James Lee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 12:41 am 
Penguin

I feel that using a "table hopper" close-pad in a restaurant is ideal. It takes up little space and you can just roll it up and carry it with you. I invested a short while ago on Kennedy's "shuffle pad". This thing looks like a little address book when it's closed but when you open it up there is a padded section that's about the size of a mouse pad. I just stick it my back pocket and go. If you have a normal sized pad and you don't feel like carrying around to every table just sweet talk the hostess into letting her put it away for you in her podium, i'm sure she won't mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 9:11 pm 
born to perform.

I have really been interested in working in a restaurant. It seems to pay good, and not to mention your doing your hobby, something you love and getting paid for it!!! What tricks would you show a manager to become hired? Something visual? Also, for a coin matrix, even one as simple as imposs. matrix by JK, couldn't you use a couple of napkins? Or possibly the table might have a cloth over it already, or even placemats. I think these would work fine instead of a close up pad (ie. they don't take up space and you don't have to cvarry them around), as long it has give and can blind out the sound of a coin, I think it will work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 7:10 am 
Penguin

Table hopper style close-up pads are not only small, they also add a "touch of class" to your act.
I can't even count how many times I have placed the little pad on the table, only to have the guest go "ooh" and "ahh" upon seeing it.
As Gary Ouelette was fond to point out, you need to make your own stage. A close-up pad really helps with that.