View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: ok, I'm trying to work up...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 5:45 pm 

the nerve to get a job at a restaurant, any advice, warnings, or otherwise well wishers :wink: .
they just built a Chilis out by my house, hopefully I will get it.
BTW how do you aproach the managment about it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 6:05 pm 

1. Go to dinner there, show your waitor some magic (blow them away, you want them talking/vouching for you later when you'll need it...so really blow them away).
2. Contact the management when you eat there.
3. Introduce yourself, compliment on the restaurant.
4. Tell him what you do, and that you would like to share that there.
5. Explain how both of you will benefit from this, and how he's getting an angle other restaurants in your area wont have.
6. Converse.

Make sure to have some cards on you, or whatever it is you do. Have them in sight, or mess with them at some point in front of the management. When you get their attention, blow them away. Don't do any floofy little trick...you want to literally floor the managment better than anyone you've ever showed magic too. You do that, you got the job.

And be charming. That's whats going to really impress them. Don't just do magic, but be charming and gentlemanly about it.

Want more tips on restaurant work, landing a job, etc? Get Jim Pace's "Restaurant Workers Handbook." It's a great tool for anyone serious about working in the restaurant scene.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 6:07 pm 

thanks B

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 9:31 pm 
born to perform.

I think I'll take that advice, too. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 12:40 am 
Penguin

Good luck Bs. I wish you well!
-Magicfan-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 1:40 pm 
born to perform.

Good luck to you, bravesaint. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 4:14 pm 
Penguin

Good Luck Bravesaint, not that you'll need it :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:49 am 
Penguin

B_magic said to impress your waitor. I was thinking, maybe when they take your money for your meal, and give you your change, you could use a bill switch like visi-bill or something and change a one into a five and give it for a tip. Just an idea 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 8:12 am 
Penguin

nightcrow90 wrote:
B_magic said to impress your waitor. I was thinking, maybe when they take your money for your meal, and give you your change, you could use a bill switch like visi-bill or something and change a one into a five and give it for a tip. Just an idea 8)

Yeah, I like that idea. Sounds pretty cool to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 8:42 am 
born to perform.

very good idea. Thanks to B_magic though because I think a lot of people including myself possibly, could use all the advice you gave. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 11:16 am 
born to perform.

LOL. Very good idea. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 11:24 am 
Penguin

what wud u tell the manager? i like to do magic in ur restaunt?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 8:27 pm 

--Flatter the manager about the restaurant, the food, all that.

--Tell him/her what you do (at this point give a resume that flatters yourself).

--Tell him/her you would like them to consider you as a house magician.

--Tell him/her how the restaurant and yourself would both benefit. Time for bigtime communication skills. You can't act timid about it, can't act like your asking for a job (like they are granting YOU something), and you can't act like the restaurant is the only thing that benefits (that YOU are granting the restaurant something). You have to walk that fine, confident line saying that this would be a partnership where both of you benefit, as well as the customers experience. Tell them you want to give the total restaurant experience, and that the food and the atmosphere are already great, now time to add a little entertainment.

--Tell him/her how you plan to work there, making sure to speak a lot about the customers and the restaurant convenience. This is where you name you price, emphasizing how this is a deal your willing to make for a great place to perform.

While you saying all these things, be sure to have cards or whatever around so that you can amaze them with magic at some point. Your ultimate goal isn't to talk the guy to death, but to shock him so that he'll be proud to have you there. So you gotta set this up a little bit. I always try to amaze the host/hostess and waitors sometime beforehand. That way they are vouching for you when your speaking with the manager.

Again, goal is to shock the manager. You want to flip him out. Magic is always stronger when you can get people talking about it before you do it.

So the biggest thing you have to do is make sure your magic is strong and your confident with it. That is the most important thing, and its also the hardest thing. You need to get to a point in your magic where you are confident with people, confident in yourself, and confident in what you can do. Complete confidence is what will show through in your interview...so you cannot be timid at all. You can't act scared, or be intimidated, none of that. They will hire you if you show them you know how to handle people, that customers will like you, and that you know what your doing...then blowing him away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 8:34 pm 
born to perform.

Very nice, B. It's nice to have these really helpful posts every once in a while.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 8:51 pm 
born to perform.

How would you say something like that without sounding like you're trying to con them or something? Sounds really hard to me...maybe Im just a big sissy or something but--- :oops: How did you restaurant workers word that stuff, like referring to a partnership or benifits to the restaurant?