View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 9:32 am 
Penguin

ey b!...umm what trick would you recommend i do for the managers? say for cards..how many tricks or which trick do u think will shock them...other than cards what else will u think will impress them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 5:56 pm 
Penguin

I'm kinda wondering the same thing. oh b, just out of curiosity, which tricks do u perform for the manager?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 5:12 am 
Penguin

In addition to the above good advice, some things that have worked well for me are the following:
1. Show them some reference letters. These would be letters praising any previous shows or performances you have had. These are great to obtain. People like to see that you are a real magician, and these letters help establish your reputation. If you don't have any of these letters, every time you do a show from now on, ask for one. Also, ask that they be on official letterhead (obviously!). If the person is not sure what to write, be diplomatic and suggest a basic text for them.
2. Invite the manager to an upcoming show (even if it is just a kids party). The chances are that they will decline, but it also establishes you as a performer who is working.
And the best one of all (saving the best for last):
Use the "try it you'll like it" technique. Ask the manager if you can do a couple of tables right then and there. Then go for it! Make sure you blow their socks off, and have them laughing and smiling and talking (what you do is not so important, what is MOST important is that the guests are laughing and smiling and having a good time).
Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 3:16 pm 
born to perform.

The manager has now given me the OK....How do I discuss $$$ because magic ain't cheap...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 5:53 pm 
born to perform.

Hey can I get an update on this story?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 11:57 pm 
born to perform.

i have never worked at a resteraunt, and problably wont be able to for a few more years(strict management require people to be 16 years or older to work there) but if i were to give any advice, i would tell you to be confident but not cocky, you need to make sure the management is excited in your work and likes your attitude, nothing turns people off like cockiness. other than that, all of the rest was covered by b-magic.

i know im only 14 and you are problably thinking "hes to young to know anything about this," but you dont have to take my advice, i just thought i would offer it for anybody who wants it.

i wish you the best of luck, and do your best. :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 9:48 am 
Penguin

What I might start out doing is just going in and telling the manager that you're a magician who would like to try out some new tricks on the customers to see what works and what doesn't . If he says NO then you will know right away he doesn't want that type of thing in his establishment. If he says SURE enthusiastically then go ahead and WOW a couple of customers. Hopefully, the manger will look in on your "performance". But even if he doesn't go tell him/her afterwards the type of response you just got and ask if they'd considering hiring you. I have a part-time gum machine business(the large ones) and one thing I've found is that there are a lot of managers who would love to do things at their place but "company policy" prohibits it. So, don't be discouraged if you get turned down on this basis. Just go to the next one. Maybe even better than a restaurant would be a mall or special event like a car show. I just went to an IEEE show in Dallas and one of the vendors had hired a magician to attract customers to their booth. Just a few of my thoughts. Hope it helps.

Gary
Memphis,TN :shock: