View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 1:52 pm 
Penguin

well isnt a restaurant magician sum1 who does magic for a waiting table or people waiting for their food therefore u wouldnt be handleing drinks cause ur not the actual waiter. so that wouldnt concern u (the drinks)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 7:55 pm 
born to perform.

I dunno, he just told me to stay away from the bar....i like the job so i stay away from the bar

Post subject: Is it illegal to do street magic?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 3:26 am 
Penguin

Yo Roat, i've been thinkin you were older than you were until now. Well at least it's good to know there are others that are 14.

So, I have two questions for the adults...
Is it illegal for us 14 year-olds to do street magic and collect tips?
And, is it illegal to run your own magic buissness, such as performing at birthday parties and ect. :?:

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 5:03 am 
born to perform.

Government ? Taxes? What money? I dont make money, I do it for the fun of entertainment?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 11:51 pm 
born to perform.

i was thinking along the same lines as frijid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 5:19 pm 
Penguin

yeah roatc...you're like fcchief; cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!

Post subject: Re: Is it illegal to do street magic?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 6:49 pm 
Penguin

iamthegoat2003 wrote:
Yo Roat, i've been thinkin you were older than you were until now. Well at least it's good to know there are others that are 14.

So, I have two questions for the adults...
Is it illegal for us 14 year-olds to do street magic and collect tips?
And, is it illegal to run your own magic buissness, such as performing at birthday parties and ect. :?:

Thanks!

Sorry, I'm not an adult; (16) but I can answer your questions. As far as doing streetmagic...you can do magic on the street; however, you cannot collect money (tips) or draw a large crowd. If you would like to be able to receive tips and make money off the streets you will need what's called a busking liscense. This makes it legal for you to be able to make money off of public places. I strongly recommend that you don't do streetmagic without this liscense. If you are caught drawing a crowd or making money you will pay and spend a night in jail; although I doubt the jail part because you're a minor. But still your parents will not be pleased to find out they have to pay a large fine.

If you're interested in getting a liscense check with authorities in the county you want to perform in and they can direct you in what you need to do to get a liscense.

Let it be made clear you can perform magic on the streets guerilla style which means you show some people 1 or 2 tricks then move on. This is ok as long as you don't draw a crowd or collect any money.

Hope this helps and good luck with the magic :D !
BAM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 7:43 pm 
born to perform.

Restaurant work is illegal if your income is above the tax limit somewhere between 6-8k of ALL of your income...But it is legal if you come in under that. It is IRS Monitered.

Street magic probably becomes a solicitation issue....

I am pretty sure this is how it works however,

I AM NOT A LAWER OR IRS OR THE POLICE!

I could be wrong......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 5:36 am 

Adammcd wrote:
Restaurant work is illegal if your income is above the tax limit somewhere between 6-8k of ALL of your income...But it is legal if you come in under that. It is IRS Monitered.

Street magic probably becomes a solicitation issue....

I am pretty sure this is how it works however,

I AM NOT A LAWER OR IRS OR THE POLICE!

I could be wrong......

Yes, you are wrong. Restaurant work is not illegal, depending on local ordinances. Your city, state, province, or other government agency may have regulations re: age, curfew, whether entertainment is allowed in places, etc. When refering to the IRS regulations check with the publication on how to handle tips. I do not have the publication number but it is there for all to read. In the U.S. when a restaurant pays you more than $600 thay have to report it and give you a form 1099 for money paid without withholding. THIS is reported income and must be declared.

If you follow the instructions from IRS re: tips 100 percent to the letter of the law, well that is another problem you should talk to someone about. Me? Of course Mr or Ms IRS person, I certainly do follow and report EVERYTHING. Sure I do.

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 9:35 am 
born to perform.

RoatC wrote:
I believe Collin is only 14, and he works in a restaurant. I'm 14, too, so I'm looking forward to hearing everyone's responses.

wow man I'm really shocked that you are 14...I've seen you review TONS of dvds (on a lot of different boards too: slieght geek, magic cafe, Penguin, etc)

HOW DO YOU GET THE MONEY FOR ALL YOUR MAGIC!? I'm 15 and I'm currently working on a strong routine to get a job...somewhere any more tips will be a lot of help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 10:09 am 
born to perform.

Sorry I meant to say that restaurant work is illegal if you don't report and if the restaurant doesn't report sorry for confusing post.... Never new they had to report at $600 though.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 8:40 pm 
born to perform.

i've really only done full session of a walkaround i went into the manager and i showed him my intro duction trick (which is like hitman only instead of hitting them i just lay all 4 on the table and tell him to pick and 2 cards then one card......so he said ok i went around for like an hour...i really had no spot in my pockets for tips cuz i had like 8 decks in my pocket...but all in all i made 10 bucks it is a start though!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 8:34 pm 
Penguin

I just got hired for a b-dy party and i'm 11

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 8:10 pm 
Penguin

first you need to know if you are ready enough and if you are you should know enough tricks to "trick" them into hiring you :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 1:52 am 
born to perform.

ok, this is great to know we have a mod that is our age. i too am 14, and i love doing tricks for people. but, i am very interested in resteraunt work. i wonder if the resteraunt could hire you but not pay you much, and just let the tips be your money. this way you wouldnt really be getting paid from them, and you would be collecting money, it sounds like a good idea to me.