View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 4:21 pm 
Penguin

Work on some tricks that don't really involve gimmicks...instant dloads are good but from what i've heard some require homemade gimmicks and if you do use a gimmick it's all misdirection...make them think that nothings going on and you have nothing unusual and they'll be less likely to grab for stuff and if your really familiar with them say what I told my uncle when he wouldn't stop trying to grab in my pockets to see if I had any gimmicked tricks "Reach over here one more time and your coming back with a bleeding stub" :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 5:29 am 
Penguin

I've also had problems with people grabbing my tricks to examine them. It doesn't matter if they're family, friends, or even people you don't know, when they start doing that, move on to someone else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 4:33 pm 
born to perform.

ive been performing 4 almost a year with hard core stuff and ive found out that with the right patter u can easily pocket or switch your props. it can work to yo advantage and many times people think my invisible deck vanished right in front of their eyes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 6:52 pm 
Penguin

Responding to an earlier post...the raven isn't clean, especially with grabby spectators. Clean deck effects that involve sleights instead of gimmicks are usually the ones that slay people. Create a clean ambitious, sandwich, or changes routine and you can slay, and they can even be rude and steal the cards!

Second of all, don't get me wrong, everyone has done magic for the jerk that continually messes up your performance. What we as magicians have to understand is that we are here for the audience, not the other way around. Usually a well placed joke, a look or even a hand gesture can convey a message and get your trick back on track. If you are constantly losing audience attention it may be time for you to re-script, re-routine or find a new hobby. As a magician you have to be aware of and flexible to the audiences desires, even if that means sometimes dumping your own. Sorry to rant, but I've seen too many poor magicians throw itching powder at a spectator that asked a simple question. :lol:

Sly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 1:02 pm 
Penguin

I just moved my sor year to NJ from Cali but yeah back in the CA I strruggled doing tricks at school due to the same problems as you. It wasnt that my performance was in anyway bad...infact I put hours upon hours of preperation in before ever showing a trick..Many people wanted to see the tricks and would gather around to see them but the second that any of the trick destroyers saw the crowds, they would rush to ruin me. I really think it was due to jealousy that I was getting attention and that they needed to feel better..I know that these situatiuons can really put you down so low that you question whether you should even continue on with the hobby. The simple solution is to not do tricks around these types of people..you deserve more respect..When I moved to NJ 3 months ago, everything changed..people love my art , and cant stand it when I decide to call it quits..haha..Anyway man I hope you got something outta this so peace

Kason

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 1:34 pm 
born to perform.

i have a problem like that too. for instance, i do a pwerful ambitous card or snap change and many other visual effects, and some loser comes along breaks away the crowd and throws my cards around. now when i do tricks i always choose people i can trust, and who are not big headed [people who are big headed will just do anything to get attention] and then do trixcks 4 them

Post subject: Keep them talking
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 7:53 am 
Penguin

What I have always found is that as long as you pick a small enough group you are usually able to engage them from grabbing by simply focusing on them. If someone goes to grab a card simply explain to the rest of the group that "Someone looks eager to pick another card for the next trick ! I know that my tricks have amazed you so much to turn you into an eager little school boy but if you wait one second I'll let you join in with the next one - then stun him with a trick where he is able to study everthing at the end. A good card trick for letting the audience examine everything is eyepopper - not sure if they sell it on here but it is a great effect for showing to nosey friends.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 3:27 pm 
born to perform.

most people, if you can get in a really fast and good opening, they will be entranced and not do anything. if they still insist on grabbing your cards, back away and say "im sorry, people who cant be good spectators dont deserve to see magic" and just walk away. you dont have to put up with it, im sure you can find at least one good group of people who will have enough common sense not to do that(i hope so).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:17 pm 
Penguin

its just that there jealous because they suk and cant do itImage

Ma 2 cents