View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Must Haves for Resteraunt
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 4:53 pm 
born to perform.

I hope this wasnt asked already, I couldnt find anything like it, so I dunno. I think in a few months, I wanna hit the resteraunt scene. Im wondering what some must haves are...I was thinking a few easy, self working, awsome tricks, like d'lites, scotch and soda, svengali deck, and stripper deck. I think d'lites would really hit the little kids, and get some attention. Any suggestions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 5:11 pm 
born to perform.

I'm not sure if D'lites would work well in a restaurant unless the lighting is very dim and it is nighttime. Scotch and Soda is very good and so is dime and penny (for something like dime in saltshaker). Svengali deck is good, although a bunch of people already know how it is done. You don't really need a stripper deck.

I would also recommend the Mind Bender DVD, stealth pen, 3 in 1 quarter, Color Monte, Quick Trick, Cannibal Cards, Crazy Man's Handcuffs, Linking Rubber Bands.

There are many other choices, but those are a few that I like :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 2:17 am 

1. Get out of the self-working tricks phase and start working serious sleight of hand.

2. Not a few months...a year minimum, maybe more. Enough time in serious study of magic that the next time you post about working in the pro scene you won't be talking mostly about easy, self working magic. My suggestion, get to a point in magic where most of what you ever buy are books/videos and barely any gimmicks. That's usually just about the point when someone is serious enough to be able to handle the pro scene.

3. Sleight of hand is your best friend in the restaurant scene. It is also your worst enemy. Sleight of hand will be what makes you, what makes your magic, and even what makes your gimmicks. But it will also be the thing you have to practice, and to get good, practice when you don't feel like it. You will have to practice and practice all the time, everyday, fanatically. Unfortunately for most people, this is the only thing that keeps them from being real and from just buying easy gimmicks for a few laughs. There is no escaping this if you want to work pro...you will have to work. Work meaning non-gimmick work. Work mean practicing useless moves that you have no tricks for kinda work. Work meaning not touching a deck of cards and learning how to deal with all sorts of people work.

Without that kind of work, my friend...you will not succeed in the restaurant scene at all. Even if you do get lucky and amaze a person or two who land you a job...you will most likely hate the job, and forever quit from magic all together, without the kind of work Im talking about. Everyone thinks that working and making money doing magic is all fun and games...but to tell you the truth, after years of working doing magic, there are many days that I wish to be away and do something else. It's hard work...and most of that hard work has nothing to do with the magic itself (which, as you recall me telling you, is a heck of a lot of work....so that should tell you something).

My suggestion...forget about it for now, get a grip on your magic...and talk about it at a later time after you've had a bit more work and experience. You're not ready yet, nor will you be in a few months time. I'd say for you....about a year minimum...maybe more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 8:24 am 
Penguin

Some great resources that I've found for restaurants are the Mike Close "Workers" books and anything by Carl Andrews. These two have been working in restaurants and have been making a very good living at it. They're advice on the topic is priceless and the effects they've developed are tested in real world scenarios. The difficult part of learning from people who are so successful in what they do is that you end up mimicing their every action to get the same reactions from an audience. You have to strip down the routines and make them your own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 10:50 am 

EDITED

Last edited by paddy on Sat May 07, 2005 5:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 7:55 pm 

As I said in my last post, it is possible for you to make it in the restaurant scene using only gimmicks...but I would never, ever recommend doing it. Why would anyone? I've been working magic for over 10 years, and a good handling on sleights is what has saved my butt several times. It doesn't matter what gimmicks you do, its how you do them, and what tools you have in your arsenal to deal with people. In the restaurant scene, you don't only show off a gimmick or two and walk away. No, you have to deal with hecklers, skeptics, the whole bit. Dealing with people requires both people skills and what I call "outs": sleight of hand and other tools to use when dealing with "not so easy" people.

Additionally, if your friend does not do sleight of hand at all, and works only those gimmicks, well then, my friend...he's not really a good performer to tell the truth. Even gimmicks often use or can use sleight of hand to make them phenomenal...and quite honestly, anyone working and getting paid for their magic should be concerned with performing the best they can. Otherwise, in my opinion, your not a magician...just someone who buys a couple things to make a cheap buck.

And why would you ever tell someone who's just started doing magic to get a job now???? That's probably the stupidest thing I've ever heard here on the boards. Someone just getting started may lack the confidence and ability now to really impress an restaurant manager. If that happens, what might have been a great venue and maybe an awesome pay that the magician would have recieved is now gone, probably forever. Screw up once and don't really impress the person hiring you, and you can pretty much forget EVER working in that place....ever. You get one shot, and if you blow it, that venue is done for. Why would anyone recommend an amateur go out and risk that??? So, some guy you know lucked out and landed a job. That's great for him, but I don't advise people on luck. I advise people to be the best they can be. Otherwise, I'm not helping anyone...

So theoretically, yes, you can "make it" without learning the trade or being for real. Anyone here, anyone...even if they are 8 years old can buy a couple gimmicks and make some cash amazing people. But, I'm talking much more about being a professional than some dude trying to make a quick and easy buck while putting in minimal effort. I have respect for the art of magic, respect for the venues I work at, and respect for the people paying me for the magic I do, which is why I don't recommend "the easy road" and encourage people to be the best magicians they can be, for themselves and for their future patrons.

Besides, I know madferit personally, and although he is definately the most naturally talented person I've met in magic...he needs just a little more time. Then, with a little work and dedication, he will be great, and rather than him searching for work and hoping to land a job (and maybe not doing his best and ruining his chances at a good venue), he will be in demand, and be virtually begged to work (and be able to get a great pay too).

I would never steer anyone wrong here...and especially a friend like madferit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 9:59 pm 
born to perform.

Yeah! I would take B's word over anyone on these boards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 11:18 pm 
Penguin

I've been doing magic for over 4 years and I'm still reluctant to join the restaraunt scene. I'm not willing to get paid for what I do until I am willing to call myself a professional.

More practice for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 11:39 pm 
born to perform.

shibaz, thats EXACTLY the point that all younger magicians miss. I dont know if your younger but many many young magicians say "hey im getting paid midas well just do it even though i have no routine put together and am going to tottally embarress myself"...........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 1:00 pm 
Penguin

Yeah I'm still pretty young, I'm 17. I'm expecting to start up restaurant working as a summer job during college, because I will be doing a ton of strolling while I'm in college to give me experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 2:32 pm 
Penguin

i thinik , personaly, a must have for a resturant is airborne coke can

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 4:49 pm 
born to perform.

haydini wrote:
i thinik , personaly, a must have for a resturant is airborne coke can

What's that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 9:59 pm 
Penguin

butter coin raven and maybe a good book like royal road to card magic

--MARK--

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 12:41 pm 
born to perform.

Royal Road is a great book to get started with. It has some great tricks and some basic sleights to get you started. I just want to thank B_magic again for all the time he has put onto this board to help us all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 4:19 am 
Penguin

With regards to gimmicks in restaurant magic:
The problem with something like a Svengali deck is that you will get a LOT of people who had one as a kid. Boom, your reputation instantly suffers. They will either want to grab it, or will say something out loud (many people take pride in "knowing" how something works.
There are hundreds of great routines out there, many of which are no harder to perfrom than a good Svengali routine (please note, I said a GOOD Svengali routine!).
You need outs, and you need things that make you look like a PRO. A Svengali deck will usually not fit that bill.