View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Must read for curious beginners...
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 12:35 am 
Penguin

I have read alot of these topics time and time again on this forum. With the exception of B_Magic, Syntax5, and a few other helpful penguinites, not alot of useful information is being passed down to anyone who is considering entering this genre of Magic.
Some of you may be thinking, "who does this guy think he is?" As a magician I take great pride in what I do. I tend to commit more of my time practicing than typing posts(at least 3 hours a day). I have read several posts where people, who have only been doing magic for a very short time, considering Restaurant Magic as a venue to make money.
First of all, I would never flat out tell anyone not to do what they love doing. However, if you've only been doing this for a very short time than you should really take to heart what B_Magic posted as far as waiting at least a year before working.
I waited 4 years before I worked my first restaurant, and even then I didn't think I was ready. I've been performing for 15 years now, and I can honestly say that working a restaurant is more than just walking up to someone and saying "hey, would you like to see some magic?" There are alot of other factors to consider.
My advice is, if your young, start as a server somewhere. Casually start introducing your magic to your customers little by little. Slowly gain some knowledge as far as dealing with the different types of personalities you will be dealing with. Communicating with the patrons is your most powerful weapon. Regardless of how many One handed shuffles or Charlier cuts you can perform, if you have no personality than you will go nowhere fast. Learn how to deal with troublesome customers, management, the wait staff, the bartenders. All of these things are integral if you're really serious about this.
Now for your magic. I can't count how many times i've read someone say "I have the Stealth Pen, Pyro Perception, and a Svengali Deck, how can I get a restaurant job?" I firmly believe that you have to have a strong variety in order to please the multitude of personalities you will be dealing with. Eventually you will learn how to "fit" your magic with the people you are performing for.
Just to give you an example, here's how I prepare before a performance. The first thing I do is plan at least four different routines consisting of 3-4 effects per table that I will alternate during the evening. I would normally perform for two hours so I have to prepare ahead of time. Then I do a checklist to ensure that everything is in it's right place before I even show up. Third, I make sure any promotional material that I need is stocked. I usually have alot of giveaways to promote my business, the restaurant, and the clothing store that sponsors my wardrobe (i.e. business cards, magician' assistant patches, diplomas, free magic tricks {provided by Sherman's Specialties}). Then I do a final check before I walk out the door.
I sincerely hope that if you're considering going this route you take the advice that has been given by all of us workers. After all, we are here to help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 4:51 am 
Emperor Penguin

I'm not a working performing paid magician ...never have been and never will be (it's just a hobby with me), but I know good advice when I see it, and this is good advice. The youngsters who are looking to advance in magic should pay heed to your excellent advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 5:34 am 
born to perform.

Thanks alot. I really appreciate your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 11:55 am 
born to perform.

What you have to say is very helpful along with B and syntax. Thanx to you all. Keep up the good advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 1:19 pm 
born to perform.

Thanks a ton.

That is great advice!

I'm 15, and until a day or two ago, I was busy practicing my brainwave, ID, twisted sisters, etc. Then i checked out these forums and sleightgeek's board, and realized that haveing the latest gimmicks werent everything. Now, i am just working on a solid routine made up of sleights and flourishes with just a plain deck o' cards. I have incorporated the brainwave deck into this, and hope to do so with my stealth pen that should be coming in soon.

Thanks a ton for the magical inspiration...

BTW, does anybody have any tips for the riffle/classic pass? PM if possible, thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 6:59 pm 
Penguin

Its posts like this what makes me like this site. Thanks for your advice. I'm sue it helps all of us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 9:51 pm 
Penguin

Great advice.

Post subject: Well said!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 5:29 am 
Penguin

Edar1:As a fulltime restaurant performer myself,I have to say you told it like it is.
I will just add a few things:To be successful as a magical entertainer in any venue,but especially Restaurants,one has to have their routines so well down that PRESENTATION can take top priority.Anybody can buy a few tricks and string them together,but to make them your own in an entertaining way takes work and serious study.If this is not done you may last a couple of weeks,but it will eventually catch up with you and you will be out the door.
I have been performing at one of my restaurants for 15 years.I see lots of new GUESTS,however,I also see many over and over so I have to keep my material fresh.This does not necessarily mean just buying new effects,but makingig changes in presentations and recycling in past routines.
My humble advice:Read about The history of magic.Read books on routining and presentation.Apply these theories to effects that you enjoy doing.Watch,but don't copy the styles of some successful performers.This will greatly help you develop your own perfoming personality. Good luck to all. <(*g*)> Rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:48 pm 
Penguin

i'm nobody to be giving advice, i live in a small town, around 50,000 or so when college is in, it's a college town pretty much and lots of college students, I recently started performing at local night clubs and bars just walking around, and i've gotten good reactions so far. To me it seems like this is a good way to gain a reputation and have people talking about you all over "locally" so this is what i've been doing... I usually do 2 card monte to start things out and blow their socks off, then i'll throw in fish sandwich, do as i do,daleys last trick, and to top it off i'll do synergy. anyway, i think practicing in front of people is the only way to get good witjh people and your handling!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:46 pm 
born to perform.

You are right wishingforit, the best way to get good with people (people skills), is to perform as much as you can in front of them. Handling improves, not nervous no more, ect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 4:29 pm 
Penguin

Nice....Long....lol good advice though seriously