View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What do I say?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 9:10 pm 
Penguin

I'm new to performing in restaurants, so i was wondering: How do i approach a table? What do i say to them when i approach them?

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

ZSC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 9:15 pm 
born to perform.

i think its much more fun if the spectators approach u, try some U.F.O. card trick and that usually attracts ppl...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 9:22 pm 
born to perform.

Scorpio wrote:
i think its much more fun if the spectators approach u, try some U.F.O. card trick and that usually attracts ppl...

At a restaurant? I think they'd prefer it if you go to them.. Scorpio, you must be referring to street magic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 9:26 pm 
born to perform.

...ok, i just luv the U.F.O.!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 9:55 pm 
born to perform.

What do you guess use for your "ice-breaker" tricks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 10:09 pm 
born to perform.

i don't get the question...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 10:56 pm 
born to perform.

Sorry if I was not very clear. What tricks do you use to get peoples attention (ice breakers). Like for example starry eyed surprise is a ice breaker trick. Something very visual and fun to watch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:14 pm 
born to perform.

look at wut i said b4 in this thread and u'll know wut a great ice breaker is...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 7:32 am 
born to perform.

long distance spinnner! People will surly approch you and say, "how did you do that?" Then just move into your routine

http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=643

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 8:25 am 

If you wait for people to approach you, get into street magic cuz you'll never make it in restaurant entertaining.

If working on a "plus tips" basis I go up and say "Hi, welcome to (rest. name)" and start with a hot rod or some other effect. Then do a couple more effects and move on to the next table. By this time someone has handed me a tip or they will come over to the table I am at and put money in my tip cup. In restaurant entertaining I always do effects that are lower key and more effective for a very small group. I stay away from effects like long distance spinner that are designed for a larger street type crowd.

If working on a "fee only" basis I do everything the same except say "Hi, I am Peter the house magician, can I show you some effects."

Notice I always say "effects." Dogs do trucks, magicians do effects.

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 11:53 am 
born to perform.

How many hours a week do restaurant magicians normally work? I've been really curious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 10:09 pm 

Traylen wrote:
How many hours a week do restaurant magicians normally work? I've been really curious.

Depends on what you consider "work." I have 7 restaurants I perform at in six days (Sundays I have 2 gigs.) So I am performing for about 24 hours a week. Plus add another 4 hours of researching for the new effects to keep my act changing and up to date so that the customer doesn't say "you did that last time we were here."

Plus rehearsal time for new material of an hour a day, add 7 hours.

Plus office time with invoices, bookkeeping, ordering new effects and booking birthday parties. Add another 8 hours.

Plus time talking with the general managers of the restaurants and the constant sales effort to keep busy, add at least 4 hours.

And that is the minimum amount of time I put in a week. Total of 47 hours. But remember that this is my full time job and I treat it as such.

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 10:17 pm 
born to perform.

Hey Peter, I love your advice. If someone said to go away I'm trying to eat, or just didn't want you to perform to them, what would you say. I doubt this happens at all, but I'm just wondering how you would deal with people like this. I guess it comes all down to people skills.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 7:39 am 

hockey wrote:
Hey Peter, I love your advice. If someone said to go away I'm trying to eat, or just didn't want you to perform to them, what would you say. I doubt this happens at all, but I'm just wondering how you would deal with people like this. I guess it comes all down to people skills.

I have been waved off before and I just say "Ok thank you for choosing (restaurant name)." Then go to the next table. About half the time the people will tell the server to have come back to them. There could be a lot reasons for being waved off. Some fundamentalist Christians believe that magic is "satanic." Sometimes people are talking business*. Heck maybe the guy is proposing to his girlfriend. So I never take it personally if someone does not want me at their table.

* Short comment on business thing. I was waved off from a table where one woman was talking to a man and wife. She just raised her hand and shook her head at me so I split. About a half hour later she waved at me and signalled me to come over, so I did and performed a couple of effects. They actually asked me to sit down with them and perform longer. She slipped me a $20 bill as a tip and explained that they had just signed a deal on a $300,000 house and earlier they were checking the contract to make sure it was the way they wanted. Obviously she was happy that she closed that deal.

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 6:43 pm 
Penguin

paddy wrote:
Notice I always say "effects." Dogs do trucks, magicians do effects.

Actually, dogs chase trucks most of the time. ;)