View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 9:46 pm 
Penguin

Wow. Thanks Peter and BMagic. In most forums, it is suggested that you shouldn't accept tips and get a higher wage. The reasoning being that you hurt the servers and bartenders by diminishing tips for them. Valid. But in some cases, you need to work for tips and I rarely get to hear any really good ideas for asking for tips in a rest. setting. Of course... I haven't looked at this forum in a long time...

I like the button idea. You could be really creative, yet direct with it. I agree, you have to be direct. You're doing them a favor. People want to know if they are supposed to tip or not. I'm sure it's going through their minds, "are we supposed to tip this guy?" I hate that feeling, when I don't know if I'm supposed to tip someone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 1:51 am 
Penguin

Just a thought- both Gregory Wilson and Johnny "Ace" Palmer used to work at the Dave and Buster's in the same area as the magic store where I used to work. They made quite a bit of tips, although they never had a "I accept tips" button.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 2:18 pm 
Penguin

Why dont you make a load of there money vanish and then walk of without giving it back or at the end of your show say oh and heres your money and then they might let you keep it.

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 8:00 pm 
born to perform.

HakSawJak wrote:
jamberry wrote:
Do you mind saying what restaurant you work at? I've been to Nanaimo many times. :)

I work at the new Whitespot Restaurant on the north end of Nanaimo right next to the Woodgrove Mall.

Nanaimo, hey, I'm right across the Island from you. I live in Vancouver, BC, and have wanted to get a restaurant job for the longest time. Tell me how it goes. Seems like a dream job to me, ever since I heard about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 8:56 am 
born to perform.

make sure your last trick deals w/ money liek floating dollor bill pen tro dollor/coin :D it works w/ me

Post subject: This is how it is
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 1:03 am 
Penguin

If they don't tip you, insult their obviously ugly children.

Magi: That's the show, thank you for watching.
Spec: Ok, I think you should be leaving.
Magi: Hey, is that your kid. Does he have a pituitary disorder?
Spec: What's the matter with you?
Magi: Your kid is ugly, and stupid. TIP ME!!!!

That'll get you a few 20 spots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 12:41 am 
Penguin

I have never had a restraunt job but as i was reading some of the posts i came up with an idea. What if you use your favourite method of producing a silk and on the silk have something written like tips are appreciated or something like that

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 2:26 am 
Penguin

I have a question....where do you guys get those buttons that say "tips appreciated", and others ???.......I have never seen them to be honest..
Thanks, Sincerely,
JRdigitized.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 9:26 am 
born to perform.

Ejay wrote:
I have never had a restraunt job but as i was reading some of the posts i came up with an idea. What if you use your favourite method of producing a silk and on the silk have something written like tips are appreciated or something like that

i still think the button idea is better cause with the btuton u dont mention it once to ure specs and its not in a routine, its just something they see when they look on shirt.

but the silk is a good idea though i would rather do the button

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:34 am 
Penguin

I agree. The button sounds like a good idea, just not anything too loud. Something small with class sounds like the ticket. Not some big old Wal-Mart type pin. My buddy, who has been into magic for years, recently went to a restaurant where there was a magician. He said the guy was pretty impressive. It wasn't untill after he left that he realized that he had forgot to tip him. He went back a week later and saw him again. Too bad he did the same tricks for him but he still tipped him 5 bucks. Sometimes people just need to be reminded or they just don't know to tip. Magicians in restaraunts just aren't all that common. I would say most people have never even seen one there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 8:55 pm 
born to perform.

i read this somewhere on this board. you do a trick that involves a pen or a marker. then you take off the cap and borrow a bill, and try to keep it in small amounts, i dont advize using anything over 5 dollars, i dont even think using 5 dollars is good. but you take the pen and dollar and put them in the same hand. then you point at the top of the pen, and say "what is this?" they will most of the time say a pen, then you say "no, this is the tip," turn over the pen and then say "and this is the end." This will give them a little laugh, and will let you keep the bill most of the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 2:02 am 
Penguin

i've never performed as a restaurant magician--in fact, till i began participating in these forums i'd never even known there was such a thing as a restaurant magician. Now, if someone who's had an off-and-on (but increasingly on) lifelong obsession with magic isn't familiar with the idea of a restaurant magician, i imagine that it's kind of a surprise for many restaurant patrons as well when their nice dinner is suddenly enhanced by a little tableside magic show.

And there are already so many people to tip: the maitre d', the waiter, the busboy--edited, some places have some guy just to grind the friggin' pepper mill...

It seems to me that if i were a restaurant mage, one thing that would factor heavily into just how much i wanted to assert my tipworthiness is whether the establishment advertised my presence or not. If i knew that patrons came in knowing/expecting to see some magic with their meal, i would have a lot less compunction (almost none, in fact) about somehow putting across the fact that tips were a big part of my earnings.

By way of comparison, say you go to a Spanish restaurant and discover, after being seated and having your order taken by the waiter, that there is a strolling Mariachi band going from table to table. When they come by to entertain you and your date, you are in a potentially awkward situation. Is a tip expected? What if you just want to be alone with your companion--is it okay to politely decline being entertained? Assuming you welcome this unanticipated entertainment, how much of a tip is appropriate? Do they share their tips with the wait/kitchen staff? Etc., etc. Now if the restaurant in question had simply put out a placard out front that said LIVE MUSICAL ENTERTAINMENT, or even better STROLLING MARIACHI BAND, you'd have gone into it with eyes wide open...

Hmmm...i guess i could have just said i would try to ensure that the restaurant that hired me did its best to make it clear to patrons that there was a working magician performing there.

One last thought...

Pianists who perform in piano bars usually have a brandy snifter for tips sitting on their piano. Bands in bars/restaurants often have a coffee can or bowl prominently situated with a FOR THE BAND placard in front of it. People understand and respond to that. Perhaps the restaurant could put out, say, a tophat or something with a FOR THE MAGICIAN sign on it. Might alleviate any potential awkwardness.

"i am not a professional magician, but i play one on the Internet..."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:48 pm 
Penguin

Interesting info guys. I'm a DJ and a magician. I do table magic and balloons when I'm out taking song requests at receptions and other events. I've never considered the "tip factor" for my magic, because the host (bride and groom) tip me for all my work. I do the extras to make my DJ work unique and fun for the guests. I've been working on landin a magic gig at a local restaurant, and I never thought about pay vs tips. Thanks guys, for the topic! Ken :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:52 pm 
born to perform.

Tip buttons is a great idea. Non-intrusive way of suggesting tips and even a bit humorous. Well done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:58 pm 
Penguin

One way to encourage tips is to have some small advertising signs made, to go on each table. The sign can say that "The Magician So-and-So is working tonight and will be glad to come to your table. No charge, but tips are gladly accepted." These can be small "tent signs" and are pretty inexpensive to make up.

Anyway, something like that on a small sign does a couple of things--you won't visit tables where you're unwelcome, and it lets folks know that you don't get paid unless they tip you. Be sure to share your tips with the waiters and waitresses and bus-people, as they're the ones who will swing business your way.