View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Balloon sculpture?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 2:34 pm 
born to perform.

I am a long way away from doing restaurant work but wanted to ask everyone who is currently working them a question.
Is balloon sculpture a must or maybe a novelty to know and be able to do?
If this is something that is an important part of restaurant work,Can you list some resources for learning?
Thanks in advance for the input.
Wade

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 3:41 pm 

I dont do balloons nor will I ever, mostly due to the fact that I hate being considered a clown, jester, juggler, or something like that. People like to categorize magicians into these kinds of categories and I really can't stand it.

"My kids love clowns and tricks and stuff, so would you come to our party?"

"No."

That is why I stay far away from juggling (I know how to juggle but I don't do it anytime Im in magic mode), ballooning, and all that kind of stuff. I do quite fine and handle myself well without it. And although people like something they can take with them, and have fun with balloons...based on response I'd say people appreciate magic more...when its good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 5:34 pm 
born to perform.

Thanks B, Thats what I was after,I guess if you have good visual effects then if there are kids present then that would be better for them instead of "Here is a balloon doggie for you" ,Thanks for the input as always.
Wade

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 1:14 pm 
Penguin

I totally agree. I tried for awhile to practice doing balloon sculptures, because someone told me that I HAD to do balloons in restaurants if I wanted to make money. I practiced making them for awhile but I didn't like them near as much as doing magic, so I decided to just forget about the balloons and approach restaurants as a magician. Well I found out the my the guy that told me to do balloons was WRONG. I make more money than he ever has and I never even touch balloons. Just make sure your customers really have a good time and you'll be successful.

PS- someone also told me that if you give the customer something (a balloon) that you'll get a better tip. My philosophy is maybe you should give them a good time as a gift. And if you do want to give them something tangible, there are plenty of good magic effects where the spectator leaves with a cool souvenier.

The main point is to do what YOU like to do. If they sense that you're having a good time, then they will have a good time, whether you're doing balloons or magic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 2:16 pm 
Penguin

This has been on my mind lately as well, and I agree with much of what was said, especially about moving away from being thought of as a clown and such. I do balloons if I feel like it, but I have been kinda lucky at some gigs where there's been a clown or two working so I stood out.

I must say, though, that much of my living as a professional magician comes from word of mouth gigs, and to be as blunt as your response, B, could cost me a dozen gigs down the road from bad referrals.

My thought is that it's nice to have as much as possible in your bag of goodies, so that no matter what the occasion, you're ready. Penn Jilette, one of the coolest and most popular magicians around, still juggles in his act, and no one yells out "Look at the clown!" It's all in how you carry yourself, I think.

But again, like BMagic said, I try to let my magic get to my spectators more than anything else. I also list the skill as balloon sculpting rather than "makes balloon animals," as this slight difference sounds much better. It's like "Performs magic" and "Does card tricks..." there's no comparison.

All this said, I am now considering nixing balloon sculpting for a while to get back to pure magic gigs, thanks guys!

Pj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 2:21 pm 
born to perform.

Thanks for the input I appreciate it. I was about to waste money buying a book or video but i think i will not get anything and then once I start performing if it is something that keeps coming up then I may rethink but I like the concept of being thought of as a magician and not a clown.
Thanks again
Wade

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 7:33 pm 
Penguin

I only use balloons for children's birthday parties. Sometimes these are my saviour. If the kids are getting out of hand and I feel that I am loosing their attention then I pull out the balloons to regain control.

Jason

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 11:19 pm 

I have nothing against others who do juggling, ballooning, the whole nine...but for me its just not my style for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:11 am 
born to perform.

B_Magic wrote:
I dont do balloons nor will I ever, mostly due to the fact that I hate being considered a clown, jester, juggler, or something like that. People like to categorize magicians into these kinds of categories and I really can't stand it.

"My kids love clowns and tricks and stuff, so would you come to our party?"

"No."

That is why I stay far away from juggling (I know how to juggle but I don't do it anytime Im in magic mode), ballooning, and all that kind of stuff. I do quite fine and handle myself well without it. And although people like something they can take with them, and have fun with balloons...based on response I'd say people appreciate magic more...when its good.
Guess what lets say a mom calls for her little jhony and wants a kid show and your trying to figure the budget..she says HOW much do you cost??this is tipical say well depends on couple factors well to cut to the chase what im trying to say is you can have 3 types of shows 30 min magic show say 125 or 30 minutes of comedy magic and balloon scuplting 150 or the deluxe show where I do all of the above and produce a live bunny at the end of my act blah blah ...so on the prospect and get$200 dollars out of her so in my opinuion I would say its good to know how to do balloon sculpting ...most mom's want this and ask for this alot.

just my two cents hope it was worth every dime by the way there is a video on the subject its called balloon sculpture made easy just ask your local magic shop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:14 am 
born to perform.

knowing more than magic can make you money ...also was Houdini just a magician NO! he studied art of Regurgitation.
cant spell it but basicly coughed up keys lol and he studied locks and on top of all that MAGIC so think about stuying other things ..If you want to make a living at entertaing.

IN responce it's aways good to learn other traits in entertaing.

Last edited by timtim6575 on Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:19 am 
born to perform.

timtim6575 wrote:
art of grurduation cant spell it

Regurgitation.

There ya go :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:28 am 
born to perform.

I keep comming up with more good stuff...maybe this will my last post tonight.
it's always good to know a alittle about alot ..then it is to know alot about a little.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:24 am 
Penguin

Quote:
it's always good to know a alittle about alot ..then it is to know alot about a little.

But it's better to be amazing at a little than just okay at a lot of things. Be a jack of all trades, yes, but be your absolute best at as many of those as you can...the number will likely be far less than the number of things you can do.

As far as balloons, you don't have to be really good at them. It's not like magic where the entire routine is an experience. With balloons, the amazement comes with the final product. Learn a few of them, like ten or less, and you'll be able to turn a larger profit on your shows. Being a working pro means being flexible to your audience. Word of mouth is huge in this business, especially when you're just starting out, and if you say no to balloons, and another magician says yes, you may have lost quite a bit of business. Giving balloons out at the end of my show has gotten me a lot of business as of late, so I'm still unsure about continuing with them, but now I'm leaning toward yes.

Pj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 2:49 pm 
born to perform.

Location: asylum Occupation: unemployed Hobbies: full-contact origami
I actually do a couple of tricks with balloons, so it is still magic.

1 the pregnant dog. this is a classic. you make a balloon dog right in front of their eyes and when you give it to them, there is a small balloon inside. to get the parents startled, i ask the children if they want a male or female dog. female = puppy. male = soccer ball. many mothers put up an eye when they hear i can make a male dog. it's a grown-up joke, but has always gone over well

2 stick an open pocket knife into a balloon without popping it. also a classic and done right in front of their eyes. this amazes the parents as well as the children.

3. coins in a balloon. two versions, both easy to do.

however, this fits my style. this has been a part of my routine for a while. personally, as i haven't done many paid or public presentations, i like having this to fall back on. i have a lot of effects, but like to know that i definately have something that will go over well. and the best part is that you don't have to practice once you learn it well. it's like riding a bike. the right patter and it's easy.

i don't know if i would advise someone to go out and learn this, but if it interests you, go for it. if you aren't interested in it, either forget it or just learn a couple of things like the dog (dog = giraffe = mouse = horse = etc) and a hat and you are set

Post subject: balloons
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 3:41 pm 
Penguin

:D
If you work at a family restaurant same on you if tou don't do a few simple balloon, that child is also a guest of the restaurant and should be entertained as much as the adults. They are not going to enjoy your 4 phaze pocker deal but a simple balloon will light his face up. Shame on you if you think doing balloons beneth you. It is all about being a PROFESANAL entertainer.