View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 9:18 am 
Penguin

Here's a true life example, that might make you think. I'm a pro magician who's been in the game for over 20 years. I've done kids magic (stopped after 17 years), I've had my own cabaret illusion act (did it for 3 years) and I've done close-up ( 20 years and still do.) I'm working Christmas day (lunch time) this year at a major hotel in a city in Scotland. The client calls me and asks if I could do a couple of balloon models as there MAY be some children having Christmas lunch too. Sure I can (one very happy client) Okay says the client we'll give you an extra $130 for your trouble (one very happy magician.) Now if I had been unable to do ballon models I would have disappointed the client and he would have had to hire another person to do JUST balloon models on Christmas day, which would have cost him mega-bucks. Hey, if some guy thinks I.m a kiddies magicican I don't care I'm probably making his weeks salary in two hours - WOO HOO!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 12:12 am 
Penguin

You need to ask yourself a little question..

Q.Do I like MONEY?
A. ____________

If you said yes.... learn ballons it is a great skill to have.
But Buy a GOOD PUMP I had to blow up over a 100 a night for 5 nights in a row for over 1 and 1/2 years :shock: You need a pump.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 9:51 am 
Penguin

My post appeared twice for some weird reason, both before and after MagicManCoryHolder, so I've deleted it from here :D You can use a pump or train your lungs and diaphragm to blow them up in one go. It's hard but not impossible. Once you can do it you'll never need a pump again. Also you can give out these wee silly modelling balloons to some huge macho guy and ask him to blow them up. There's no way he will. Then you can do it in one breath. This will really impress the girl he's with and make him look a total wimp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:43 pm 
born to perform.

I think it all depends on how you want to be seen. Personally, I'm into magic only. I don't wear clown makeup, don't make balloon animals, etc. That's just me though. Clowning and all are perfectly valid. As a street performer, I have noticed that balloon artists are almost always guaranteed a tip. (Where I work we work for tips only, no flat rate, and we are not allowed to force money from people) so the balloon guys must hand the balloons out and may not say "ok, that'll be a dollar". People however, since they are receiving something tangible, are much more likely to pay then if they have just watched some magic as entertainment is in the mind, and not something people can physically take with them. Some people will come watch magic for two minutes, leave a few bucks, and move on. Others will come watch for twenty minutes and leave nothing. So, if money is ultimately your goal, I'd say ballooning is probably a good idea. If you're not going to enjoy making sculptures for several dozen children at a time, stay away from it. It's all personal preference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:08 pm 
Penguin

Id say that yes , i would do balloon animals .. but if you want to step away from that clown/magician relation (beleive me , i hate people who think that way too) try to personalise your balloons . Ive red in a issue of magic menu that theres some books on how to do personalities and they show how to to portraits of people with balloons ... now THAT would be my kind of balloon sculpture ... leave the little poodle to Bingo the laughing clown ... (sorry bingo)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 6:49 pm 
born to perform.

I used to do balloons but am in the process of researching Pearls...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:21 pm 
born to perform.

In reference to specific personality for balloon sculpture, awhile back I was reading on various people who did the bullet catch, and one guy who no longer performs the bullet catch is now a balloon sculpture guy for Disney. The article said that he uses 14 balloons to make goofy's head, and the sculpture includes teeth. I'll take a look and see if I can find the article again and post it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:24 pm 
born to perform.

In reference to specific personality for balloon sculpture, awhile back I was reading on various people who did the bullet catch, and one guy who no longer performs the bullet catch is now a balloon sculpture guy for Disney. The article said that he uses 14 balloons to make goofy's head, and the sculpture includes teeth. I'll take a look and see if I can find the article again and post it.