View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: WHAT TO CHARGE
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 11:08 am 
Penguin

WHAT SHOULD YOU CHARGE FOR RESTURANT WALK AROUND AND WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO GET THIS TYPE OF WORK THANKS RICH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:27 pm 
Penguin

It all depends on your experience. If you dont have much experience with it. Then I suggest that you take a few free gigs to get experience. Then talk to a manager and ask him if you could do some entertainment in the restaurant. Even offer him to work for free one day just to see if he likes it. When it comes to how much you should get paid, then I dont know. Again it depends on your experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:42 pm 
born to perform.

There are several threads on this topic,if you want to scroll down or do a search. I will tell you that I don't have experience in restaurants yet because of the advice given by the people here that do perform in restaurants. The advice most generally given is to practice and make sure you know your material and then get a meeting or interview with the manager or the highest people that works for the place and blow them away with your skill. And I am sure that that the people here that do this type of work will give you more inforamtion but I have been reading a book by Kirk Charles and am planning on getting Jim pace's book.
Hope this and the other posts on this subject help you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 1:01 am 
born to perform.

Generally, people say that you should charge twice the price of the most expensive item on the menu.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 3:23 am 

baronen wrote:
It all depends on your experience. If you dont have much experience with it. Then I suggest that you take a few free gigs to get experience.

WRONG ! WRONG ! WRONG ! IGOR!!!!! If you ever perform for free you are worth what you charge, nothing!! Make sure your magic is impecable then go out and charge what the other entertainers get. Call up some restaurants that have magi and ask the general manager what they pay, then set your fee a little above that. The only free show I do is an audition, they get one 2 hour show free to decide to hire me.

Remember you may not have the experience, but the restaurant and the cusomers don't know that.

Please do not listen to the people that have not worked in restaurants saying "give freebies till your good." They will never get paid what you will make by having confidence in yourself and performing magic perfectly.

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 12:48 pm 
born to perform.

paddy wrote:
baronen wrote:
It all depends on your experience. If you dont have much experience with it. Then I suggest that you take a few free gigs to get experience.

WRONG ! WRONG ! WRONG ! IGOR!!!!! If you ever perform for free you are worth what you charge, nothing!! Make sure your magic is impecable then go out and charge what the other entertainers get. Call up some restaurants that have magi and ask the general manager what they pay, then set your fee a little above that. The only free show I do is an audition, they get one 2 hour show free to decide to hire me.

Remember you may not have the experience, but the restaurant and the cusomers don't know that.

Please do not listen to the people that have not worked in restaurants saying "give freebies till your good." They will never get paid what you will make by having confidence in yourself and performing magic perfectly.

Peter

if he hasn't performed at a restraunt before then he could do it for free to get the experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 1:23 pm 
Penguin

he could do it free at school or work, but not at a restaurant, or they will never pay him. get experience by doing magic 2 ur friends and family

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 1:48 pm 
born to perform.

break314dancer wrote:
he could do it free at school or work, but not at a restaurant, or they will never pay him. get experience by doing magic 2 ur friends and family

there is a pretty big difference in doing magic for friends and family then doing magic for people at a restraunt. there is a different feel, different enviroment, you barely know the people, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 9:53 pm 

Yes, smar99, there is a difference between friends and restaurant entertaining. If you do restaurant work for free, the managers know and will pass on to other restaurants, that they have a kid that's just plain dumb!! Any entertainer is helping bring customers to a restaurant. To help build restaurant sales and not be paid tells everyone just how smart you are (not.)

I will go in to that same restaurant you are being a freebie at and get a paid gig by taking it away from you. Why, because free is worth what you pay...NOTHING, but a professional entertainer that will gaurantee to build business is worth what they pay me for.

PERCEPTION SELLS!!!! stupidity loses every time! If the manager percieves you as being experienced that is what counts, he doesn't know that this is the first time you have ever performed.

Peter

Last edited by paddy on Mon Nov 24, 2003 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 10:24 pm 
Penguin

i haven't worked in a restaraunt yet but i plan on it. i get all my practice with co-workers and people that might be staying at the hotel i used to work at. sure after seeing your tricks over and over and over again they will begin to catch on but its great practice....especially if people know what to look for and cant see if after a while.

Post subject: What to charge & experience in restaurant entertainment
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:31 am 
Penguin

Q. Do you live in a place where there is a magic studio or shop where fellow magi gather on a regular basis?

A. If so join them as often as you can, ask questions, lots and lots of questions!!! We have two ears and one mouth, who cares about your latest routine, do you want to be a busy entertainer or a by name only "magic" guy (..."Oh, look the magic guy...show us that one neat trick"...)

Your best advice is not the how to make money in the field you are delving into from those who have only read the "how to book", "watched the masters of walk around magic video collection twice" or ..."knew a friend that had a cousin, who was married to a guy named Billy Bob, that did a pick a card trick once at a truck stop and received a FREE cup of noodle soup and a coffee!!!

If I want to be a great football player do I ask my grandmother for pointers (though I love her dearly)? GOD FORBID-NO!!!. I want to listen to Dion Sanders, Ray Lewis, Johnny Unitis, Etc.

If you desire to become a millionaire will you listen to a broke person. NO!!! , of course not.

The field of entertainment is like any serious endeavor, you must:

1. Be willing to do what other's will not, to have what other's do not

2. Be teachable (No matter how well I do my comedy magic routine. When a senior magi is present that has had success doing what I am now attempting, and he approaches me and gives me advice the one liners may be dated, but baby those principles will always be the same!).

3. Continue to be HUMBLE!!! People do not want to be 'fooled', they desire to be entertained-period! Realize when you are entertaining for people in a restaurant, you are not at a FISM, IBM or SAM convention...no awards, nothing to prove.

4. When a fellow or senior magic attend your walk around sessions, do not become fear filled. "Oh, what did I bring that he might not know" or "Wow, this is embarrassing, I am performing the professors night mare. I will not approach his table with magic."

Entertain him and his party, you may be surprised to find out that he will be your biggest fan at that moment and bring serious attention to you. I type this from experience. While performing at one of my restaurant shows, a master magician came in to dine with his wife. Upon approaching their table, I began my patter (Which I had learned from him), and the illusion (I knew he knew, no doubt), after the first effect he and his wife began to clap and cheer. My friend's this started a buck wild evening, that has only intensified!

Hope this helps,

More to come soon.

email:david@davidbreth.com