View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Begining!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:33 am 
Penguin

Q. Do you live in a place where there is a magic studio or shop where fellow magi gather on a regular basis?

A. If so join them as often as you can, ask questions, lots and lots of questions!!! We have two ears and one mouth, who cares about your latest routine, do you want to be a busy entertainer or a by name only "magic" guy (..."Oh, look the magic guy...show us that one neat trick"...)

Your best advice is not the how to make money in the field you are delving into from those who have only read the "how to book", "watched the masters of walk around magic video collection twice" or ..."knew a friend that had a cousin, who was married to a guy named Billy Bob, that did a pick a card trick once at a truck stop and received a FREE cup of noodle soup and a coffee!!!

If I want to be a great football player do I ask my grandmother for pointers (though I love her dearly)? GOD FORBID-NO!!!. I want to listen to Dion Sanders, Ray Lewis, Johnny Unitis, Etc.

If you desire to become a millionaire will you listen to a broke person. NO!!! , of course not.

The field of entertainment is like any serious endeavor, you must:

1. Be willing to do what other's will not, to have what other's do not

2. Be teachable (No matter how well I do my comedy magic routine. When a senior magi is present that has had success doing what I am now attempting, and he approaches me and gives me advice the one liners may be dated, but baby those principles will always be the same!).

3. Continue to be HUMBLE!!! People do not want to be 'fooled', they desire to be entertained-period! Realize when you are entertaining for people in a restaurant, you are not at a FISM, IBM or SAM convention...no awards, nothing to prove.

4. When a fellow or senior magic attend your walk around sessions, do not become fear filled. "Oh, what did I bring that he might not know" or "Wow, this is embarrassing, I am performing the professors night mare. I will not approach his table with magic."

Entertain him and his party, you may be surprised to find out that he will be your biggest fan at that moment and bring serious attention to you. I type this from experience. While performing at one of my restaurant shows, a master magician came in to dine with his wife. Upon approaching their table, I began my patter (Which I had learned from him), and the illusion (I knew he knew, no doubt), after the first effect he and his wife began to clap and cheer. My friend's this started a buck wild evening, that has only intensified!

Hope this helps,

More to come soon.

email:david@davidbreth.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 12:23 am 
born to perform.

Great advise, i can not believe people have not said that before on this thread. that is some of the most usefull advice anyone could give. all said above is stuff that would normally take 10 or 11 years to figure out on your own, and is packed into one session. great work, i will use every bit of it on my road to becoming a proffesional magician.

thanx again!