View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: GREAT Tricks for walkarounds...
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 1:07 am 
Penguin

What do you think of this routine (for a resteraunt walkaround)...

-Club Sandwich
-Michael Ammars's Card to Wallet
-Go straight into Torched and Restored by having them sign the card the card that was in the wallet with missing corner (because you sneakingly made the gimmick on the card in the wallet.)
-With the lighter on the table, you might as well blow them away with Pyro Perception as a finisher.

Maybe a couple of filler tricks inbetween like the stealth pen.

What do you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 8:05 am 

Remember the fire in a club in R.I. caused by the props of the band "Great White?" Well since then you can not do fire magic in most restaurants. All the restaurants I perform at made it a point that I did not use, nor will I ever use fire at their place and have informed me that useing fire will get me fired on the spot without allowing me to complete my gig that night. The restaurants are REAL TESTY about fire.

They must be, cuz I never used fire in my act before and they still warned me about it in those very strong terms. So I would drop the pyro perception.

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 9:49 am 
born to perform.

Location: asylum Occupation: unemployed Hobbies: full-contact origami
paddy wrote:
So I would drop the pyro perception

What about Torched and Restored? is that any less dangerous?

paddy wrote:
Remember the fire in a club in R.I. caused by the props of the band "Great White?"

I thought that the "great white" fire was done with pyrotechnics (aka Fire Works)? is lighting matches or a lighter actually the same?

paddy wrote:
The restaurants are REAL TESTY about fire.

I wish the restaurants where as TESTY about employees washing their hands. About once a year you hear about a salmonella outbreak or other cases of food poisoning.

Is it really fair to compare this tragedy in a night club done with fire works to a magic trick done with a lighter? If so, I'm glad that i don't smoke. I mean, lung cancer is bad enough, but risking my life like that about 20 times a day just while lighting the cigarettes :shock:

On the other hand, i would recommend against pyro perception as I believe the blisters may be too small if you are performing for a large table. they don't last that long, and you don't really want to have to walk around a large table showing each person individually that you burnt a blister with a card on your finger.

and one other question? can you still smoke in restaurants where you live? if not, you might not want to do any fire tricks as there won't be anyplace to put your ashes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:58 pm 

freiburgflyer wrote:
paddy wrote:
So I would drop the pyro perception

What about Torched and Restored? is that any less dangerous?

True. I only mentioned one cuz I figured that people were smart enough to realize it applies to all fire magic.

paddy wrote:
Remember the fire in a club in R.I. caused by the props of the band "Great White?"

I thought that the "great white" fire was done with pyrotechnics (aka Fire Works)? is lighting matches or a lighter actually the same? [/quote]

It was. restaurants don't care about the difference between pyrotechnics and fire magic. They only care that they can be sued if something happens.

paddy wrote:
The restaurants are REAL TESTY about fire.

The rest is liberal twaddle about smoking. I don't smoke but don't pretend to be better than others for that reason.

You are in Germany and obviously don't understand what is happening in the U.S. We have attorneys here that make their money on contingency fees. That is where they don't get paid unless they win the lawsuit. We also have runaway juries, where the average I.Q. is about the same as a good bra size, so they give the "poor victims" a lot of American money. This was intended and still is, to warn restaurant magi of the legal dangers that can fall on their butts if they are not careful about what is in their acts.

Remember your own German history, if they still teach the subject there, and you will see the result of this same felonious stupidity that you went through.

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:53 pm 
born to perform.

Location: asylum Occupation: unemployed Hobbies: full-contact origami
paddy,

I'm american. ex military. really don't have any reason to learn german history. (at least in the context of what i believe you are alluding to)

and the comment about smoking had nothing to do "liberal twaddle about smoking" nor about pretending "to be better than others for that reason". if smoking isn't allowed, there won't be any ashtrays. thus, no where to put ashes from any fire effects. the last comment about glad for not burning myself nor catching cancer was **sarcasm**. sorry i forgot to turn on the sarcasm signal.

turn on sarcasm won't let it happen again.turn off sarcasm

I still maintain that most restaurant managers won't object to pyro perception, especially if smoking is still allowed in restaurants. holding a bic lighter in one hand doesn't really scare that many people.

but to give credit where credit is due, there are probably people out there who manage restaurants and don't want the magician to hold any kind of open flame in their hand, including lighters, matches, candles, and flaming juggling torches.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 12:41 am 
Penguin

Um back to the topic, are there any other people who have any routines or tricks that are reaction machines?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 1:46 am 
Penguin

The best thing you could do walking around is something that is nothing.
Mainly like mentalism stuff or coldreading. It makes you seem more mysterious. For instance if you are not really into mentalism and want to look mysterious, so a classic force and build up on stating their card ex: your card is black... um it is a clu uh spade , it is the 3 of spades. This freaks people out when you are not even lokking at them pick a card and then you know it. My whole basketball team asked me to do some stuff and i only had a deck of cards that sucked i could barely spread them but i did this and they were on trip mode. So im sure people eating will surely spit their food out at that. Thats when you know they think you are good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:55 am 
born to perform.

ya... the classic force card guess(or whatever u call it) is easy, yet some ppl find it unbelievable... sometimes i like to let them pick a card, memorize it, and say "OK, put the 2 of clubs back in the deck and lets try to pick another one"....

that or an ID routine... my aunt told me she thought the trick was satanic when i did it to her...

ambitious card always works if ur not into the mentalism thing...
as does 2 card monte and a transpo... around here those three tricks just defy explanation for some reason(magic isnt exactly the biggest thing where i live, so ppl never know what i'm doing)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:24 am 
born to perform.

would you say that the 3 card monte is a good trick in front of a table full of people? Or is it better just for infront of one or two people?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 3:27 pm 
born to perform.

tallant wrote:
would you say that the 3 card monte is a good trick in front of a table full of people? Or is it better just for infront of one or two people?

not necessarily the 3 card monte...something with a story plays better with a full audience (like Color Monte)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 3:30 pm 
born to perform.

I agree with these other guys...bring in some sort of monte. Add a story to it...get some laughs.