View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Working at Restaurants that serve alcohol?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 8:24 am 
born to perform.

Hello, I was wondering how old you would have to be to work at these types of restaurants. I am a legal worker, 16 but was wonder how old you would have to be to be at these restaurants. Such as applebees, texas steakhouse, macado's, cracker barrel, etc. Anyone have any input?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 9:21 am 

No one here can answer that one because the laws vary from state to stae and even from county to county in some states. (Kentucky has some dry counties including the one where the Jack Daniels distillery is. You can make it there, just can't drink it there.)

Call the local district attorney and ask them, or talk to a general manager of one of the places and ask him (her,) they should know the laws. Remember to explain that you will NOT be working FOR the restaurant. You will be a self employed entertainer working AT the restaurant.

Here in Cincinnati OH I have had a 14 y.o. kid do one of my gigs at a Texas Roadhouse with no trouble. He is one heck of a magi and balloon twister and made over $150 in tips in 4 hours.

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 10:32 am 
born to perform.

Whoa cool!
Are balloons ALL he does or what?
What other tricks help him?
Also, about self employeed....so how does that work? Do they pay you just like any other waiter?

Post subject: Re: Working at Restaurants that serve alcohol?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 3:12 pm 
Emperor Penguin

flip2005 wrote:
... Such as applebees, texas steakhouse, macado's, cracker barrel, etc. Anyone have any input?

Of those you listed, Cracker Barrel doesn't serve alcohol...at least they don't at the one I go to. But this may differ depending on State and City!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:38 pm 

flip2005 wrote:
Whoa cool!
Are balloons ALL he does or what?
What other tricks help him?
Also, about self employeed....so how does that work? Do they pay you just like any other waiter?

No, he does magic then ends up making a balloon hat for the kids. He does all the effects I do, some cards, some coins, one or 2 gimmicks, not many.

They pay my company (which I own) a fee for me to be there for 2 to 4 hours a night one day a week. Plus tips plus a free meal. The fee will vary depending on where you are in the country. New York City may get as high as $150 a nite, some $100 a nite and other areas of the middle U.S. as low as $50 a four hour night. I am paid out of cash on 2 of my restaurants and corporate sends me a check on four of the restaurants. I get more money when corporate does it cuz they pay once a month instead of nightly.

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 1:18 pm 
born to perform.

You only have to be a certain age IF you are serving alcohol.