View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How Much Pay?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:47 pm 
Penguin

I went to two "Martini and Magic" nights at a local club. Both times the magicians really sucked. I've been doing magic about 3 or 4 months now and I swear my tricks (stuff like Lethal Tender and Color Deception Brass) were better than BOTH of these guys had. Not only were their tricks bad but their presentations were terrible. The next time I saw the manager, who is a friend of mine, she asked me to do some tricks for her. After doing about a half dozen simple tricks she really got a kick out of them (there were about 6 other people sitting at the table and they said they enjoyed it also). It got my wheels turning. I am very comfortable doing magic in public and am thinking that maybe in a few months I could possibly pull something like this off. I have no idea what to ask for a fee, though. I have a partner and we are thinking of performing at his mom's senior citizens home for Christmas for free. We are thinking this would be a good way to try to work out an act.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 7:59 am 

You say your friend is the manager, ask her what she pays for restaurant gigs. The fee will vary from where you are. between $50 to $100 a gig PLUS TIPS which should be more than your restaurant fee.

For the Senior Center figure $100 for the first hour and $75 an hour for each additional. i.e. 3 hour show = $250.

If you are in a major metro area like NYC or LA then it is higher.

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 9:58 am 
born to perform.

Location: asylum Occupation: unemployed Hobbies: full-contact origami
was this a show or table hopping?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 12:55 am 
Penguin

Table hopping.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 12:29 am 
Penguin

2 1/2 hours 150 is my fee and Im worth it. Icarry over 500 dollers of magic on me at all times and can work the H@#* out of the crowd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:56 pm 
born to perform.

High-priced magic props do not a good magician make. I'm not insulting your talent, you may be very very good, but I've seen guys entertain the pants off people with stuff that costs mere pennies, and seen other guys be total flops with expensive props. It's all in the presentation and personality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 3:39 pm 
born to perform.

I COULD carry around $25 of magic and work the H%$@ out a crowd........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 5:29 pm 
born to perform.

maybe magicmancoryholder was sayin that the restaurant pays him what they do because he invests alot into his magic(time and money) and they know it... or maybe hes good with the expensive stuff... or maybe he meant somethin else and im just ramblin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 5:42 pm 
born to perform.

Pugdaddy, why don't you offer to work for your friend for just tips the first time through and see how it goes. If it's a big hit with her regulars then maybe you could talk money with her. If it isn't, heck, you got to spend a night performing Magic....either way it's a win-win situation.

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:19 pm 

I carry a hot rod, a deck of cards, bridge size, and several half dollars and work the he^& out of crowds 6 nights a week in restaurants. I have been to North Carolina and I will be honest and say the $150 for 2 1/2 hours as a restaurant fee sounds like a New York City rate. I don't see anybody getting that in Mt Airy NC. If you include your tips Yes but just as a "show up fee" nah.

You may get it, but I think you're what the Texans call "all hat and no cattle."

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:17 pm 
born to perform.

whereever i go i always have a deck of cards if u were to walk and sit then maybe bring stuff but just table to table quick then i say no gimmicks :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:53 am 
Penguin

Here in the UK I generally charge a minimum of $146 per hour - remember I wont make much if anything on tips 'cos tipping isn't part of our culture (thank goodness!!) At the restaurant where I work, I do an hour on a Fri and Sat I get $100 per hour. This is really cheap but it's regular. If I'm doing Christmas day or New Years day then It's around $450 for 2 Hours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:31 am 
Penguin

I will be honest and say the $150 for 2 1/2 hours as a restaurant fee sounds like a New York City rate, But that is what I was traned to ask for. Yes I carry alot of magic because I work to same spot for over a year. Some regs that come in every time I am there will get to see something new every time and not the same old thing.
I carry a deck of cards
cups and balls (+the 3 loads for the final)
ninja rings
M5 + coins
2 gimic decks
a fake toung
2 T Tips
key binder (Spare keys)
pens
and just a few other tricks of the trade
I did not say that you had to carry all that, It is just my way. I was working 5 diff spots 7 nights a week some I would make 75 plus tips others 150. With me takeing tips I felt that the waitstaff would hold a grudge to me that I took there money. So I did not work for tips.(Good Rule to follow) They respect that. Then free food. My fee is a tax rightoff for the restaurant.
Well I have said enuf. I hope I cleared myself.
TMMCH
One :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:49 pm 

My schedule is about the same as yours, Cory. However I always have tips as part of my deals and I wear two BIG (3" diameter) buttons, one says "I WORK FOR TIPS." The other is "SUGGESTED TIP $2435.80"

All the servers at all the restaurants say they like it when I am there because their tips are larger. Remember our job is to make people happy. I have servers come to me and say "they just screwed up table ### order and have to redo it!" So I will go to that table and entertain, flirt with the women, make the guys look good, etc. Yhat way the time seems to go a little quicker for them and they don't notice that they are waiting so long for their food. Remember when the customers are happy they are more generous, to us and to the servers.

Peter

Post subject: k
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:45 am 
Penguin

I agree with you on all that you said. I also feel that if you do a trick with money more than likely they will give it to you. Ex...Can I borrow a 5 doller bill..thanks...(Pen threw bill) cool put it in your pocket do one more trick...then pull it back out and say who gave this to me?
Them: "I did"
You: Thanks and put it back in your pocket..then when you try to give it back they say NO No keep it.. Well It has worked for me.
You and I are close to the same page peter. I like the way you thank on some things.
OneTMMCH