View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What type of resteraunts?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 9:09 am 
born to perform.

im not sure if any1 posted this already but i couldnt find one..

what type of resteraunts do magicians usually work at?? or what resteraunts do u have a better chance of getting a job.

fancy resteraunts? non-fancy??

im just wonderin cause eventually i want to start doing resteraunt work but i dont know which type of resteraunts are best to try and get a job

thanks for the help
-Alex-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 10:10 am 

I've always geared my job search to more laid-back/fun restaurants. After lots of trial and error, I feel I do the best in places like that. Steakhouses, American Grills, Burger joints (like Red Robin and such) are all good places that usually welcome a good magician.

The restaurant I work at is Joe's Crab Shack. Good place, very fun atmosphere...I do well there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 10:32 am 
born to perform.

alright thanks alot for the help B

im thinking maybe in a year or so to start doing resteraunts but i just wasnt sure what type i should do.

B, do u also do other sort of gigs such as parties and bar mitzvahs, etc??

and how were u able to get ure name out

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 4:18 pm 
born to perform.

What Types of places are tip oriented vs. flat pay if some one could generalize....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 4:56 pm 
born to perform.

Most restaurant s wil usually pay you and then you can make tips on the side. Sometimes when restaurants are thinking about hiring you they will just have you work for tips and see how you are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 10:02 pm 

tocatcher2 wrote:
B, do u also do other sort of gigs such as parties and bar mitzvahs, etc??
and how were u able to get ure name out

I do all kinds of things. Every week I work at a local nightclub and Joe's Crab Shack...and I am hired to do all sorts of private and corporate parties all year round.

How do I get my name out there? Well, first off working at Joe's helps a lot. That's in fact my primary reason for working there (the pay is good, but Im there to get my face out to different peeps). I get a lot of business from people who saw me at Joes and Rumbay (the nightclub).

I also try to be creative in getting exposure. I've been on the local news here in Colorado Springs a few times doing magic, which gives me a good amount of business. Im always talking to media, as usually can find my way onto a newsspot or a section in a paper...a lot of times the media is searching for cool things to talk about and are all too eager to spotlight a good local magician.

I hand out my business cards...all the time!
All...the...time.

Lastly, but probably the most obvious...I try to do magic all the time when Im in public. I'll draw a crowd downtown and do some streetmagic, or I'll do magic in the mall, in front of a megatheater...wherever I can do magic. I just try to get out there all the time.

Im also in the process of building a flash website.

Im always trying to think of new ways to "get out there," right now looking into even getting a spot in the yellow pages and other advertisment (met a guy at the nightclub, a publicist, who's interested in getting me some exposure). Stuff like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 12:31 pm 
born to perform.

Hey B, im actually gonna start working in a resteraunt in abuot 5 months cause i met someone who got me connections. But i can only work there later on. But i was wondering what do u wear when u go to perform? anything that stands out or that is special?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 2:12 pm 

In restaurants I always wear black cargo pants (baggy style), and a sleek flashy button up shirt (with a black undershirt underneath). I got quite a collection of "magic shirts" now in fact. LOL.

I just look for very flashy looking, but still nice looking, shirts for the restaurant/club scene. All are short sleeve, of course.

Sometimes I'll wear a white dress shirt, untucked and halfway buttoned
(black undershirt underneath) and a flashy vest for those days I want to dress it up a little. I've got a couple magic vests (flashy dress-vests with pictures of cards on it, or card suits).

For the streets I usually wear everyday clothes or my all black set. All my clothes I wear I make sure are nice, but still urban and fit my style. You'll never see me wear a suit, a tophat, none of that stuff. Doesn't work for me.

I hope that answers you're question, sort of.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 7:26 pm 
born to perform.

thanks a lot for the help, i really need to get some good ideas, so thanks alot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 9:18 pm 
born to perform.

I think the white shirt untucked and halfbuttoned with the black undershirt sounds like it would work well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 7:35 pm 
born to perform.

Heres a good way of looking at it stay away from loud rowdy resturants.I dont do much any resturant shows but i know that I would hate to me doing magic for a non-laid back resturant!I just wouldnt do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 8:41 pm 
born to perform.

It's nice to see you B on this forum again. You have been an inspiration and have had a whole ton of advice that has got me that much closer to being a restaurant magician. Thanks again B!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 8:46 pm 
born to perform.

B_Magic wrote:
In restaurants I always wear black cargo pants (baggy style), and a sleek flashy button up shirt (with a black undershirt underneath). I got quite a collection of "magic shirts" now in fact. LOL.

I just look for very flashy looking, but still nice looking, shirts for the restaurant/club scene. All are short sleeve, of course.

Sometimes I'll wear a white dress shirt, untucked and halfway buttoned
(black undershirt underneath) and a flashy vest for those days I want to dress it up a little. I've got a couple magic vests (flashy dress-vests with pictures of cards on it, or card suits).

For the streets I usually wear everyday clothes or my all black set. All my clothes I wear I make sure are nice, but still urban and fit my style. You'll never see me wear a suit, a tophat, none of that stuff. Doesn't work for me.

I hope that answers you're question, sort of.
Yeah I dont think Yoda whould look very good in a top hat and suit. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 9:08 pm 

mostly like b said steakhouses and 'slow places' are best.... i have however seen magicians in buffets and worked a couple myself....

my personal opinion is you can pull it off in just about any resturaunt (minus fast food and such)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 9:30 pm 
Penguin

Glad to see you B-Magic! Thanks for the input!
I may look into doing a gig this summer! I'll be off for summer break and I graduate in May, so no more night school(for now). The only problem is I'll still only have about a year and a half of Magic experience(not counting when I was a little tike).
We'll see...
- Brian