View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Getting a different job
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:50 pm 
born to perform.

I know there are already posts on how to get restaurant jobs, but I have a question on how to get hired for like kids parties and other small gatherings. How do you get noticed to do something like that? I would really appreciate any help you can give.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:29 pm 
Penguin

Do a couple of freebies for children's kindergardens 3 - 4 yr olds (if you can deal with that age group. Your name will get put about by all the parents that see you and you'll get a good reponse (assumming you do a good job) Put a card in your local store window. Make a professional job on a computer. Only do kids shows if you really believe you can do a good job. Do kids effects bought from magic dealers SDON'T try and do adult stuff dressed down for children, that's crap. If you do a poor show word will go round that your no-good. Make sure you can do a good job. I did kids for 18 years and loved it - good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 3:26 pm 
born to perform.

Getting more jobs is all through a network of people....if you do work I recommend getting a business card and handing out them during you preformances...The word will get across and soon you will get calls about parties (etc)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 3:31 pm 
born to perform.

Free gigs are always great to get your name spread around. Word of Mouth is great advertising.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 7:49 pm 
born to perform.

go to ure local library and ask if u can do a free kids show for kids as long as they advertise it.

u will probably have a couple of kids depending on how big the library is and u will be able to perform and u can hand out business cards or flyers to the parents that are there

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:50 pm 

Remember that FREE is always worth the price which is NOTHING. NEVER EVER do a free gig. I have more parties than I know what to do with and have gotten most of them because the parents saw me at a restaurant performing.

Always have business cards on you to hand out.

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:29 pm 
born to perform.

^not necessarily... im doin a free show for i believe a second grade classroom, but only because my aunt is the teacher...

and tho u prolly wont get much money wise from it, its always good to give back and maybe visit a childrens hospital... its good to be charitable at times...

BUT AS FAR AS GETTING GIGS, I CAN SEE RESTAURANT AS THE WAY TO GO... PPL SEE U AND U GIVE OUT CARDS... AND IT WILL COME TO U... had to edit that in, meant to say it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:17 am 
born to perform.

What if you aren't able to perform at a restaurant and just want to get gigs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:03 am 
born to perform.

Aaron123 wrote:
What if you aren't able to perform at a restaurant and just want to get gigs.

like i said doing a free library show works very well, many pros advise that this is the way to go because not only r u giving back to the community but adults that are there will most likely enjoy it too and might ask u for ure card

so trust me do the library thing, its also good for experience

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:53 am 
Penguin

Don't relate your fee to your performance. If you do a couple of gigs for free it doesn't mean you're crap. Think of all the top pop artists that perform free for a charitable cause, was their performance worth nothing? A few freebies to get your foot in the Kids Show door will cost you nothing and that means you can only gain. I agree, do the library thing. I did kids for 18 years, every show has an audience of potential customers, for every free show you do you have the potential for many many paid ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:35 pm 
born to perform.

yeah some of the best magicians started out working for free at libraries, hospitals, retirement homes etc

good luck by the way

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:49 pm 
born to perform.

a brand new, huuuuge library was built recently in my area... once i have enough kids magic, i might be tryin that library idea out to get more kids shows...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:59 am 
born to perform.

How long should a free show be and what effects would you recommend since it is a library. One last thing, how do you approach the librarian and tell them that you want to do a show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 7:12 am 
born to perform.

probably about 30 minutes. i reccomend peanut butter and jelly illusion a TT with ssilks, the little sponge rabbits, i cant think of the rest but ill let u know once i remember.

u can go up to the librarian and ask to speak to the person in charge of library events. and say u r interested in doing a free magic show for kids and most likely they will allow it considering its free and it helps out the library

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:48 am 
Penguin

If you go to church ask if you can do a show for their Children's Church. That's how I got my start in kid shows. Word will get around that you're doing a show with the kid's families at church and they will start asking you to do birthday's, schools, etc. if you do a good job. Plus the upside to this ,besides free publicity, is you can practice on the kids at church and get your routine down, find the areas that get more laughs out of the kids and adults. I also do a few gags for all ages so my show is not just about the kids but everyone is included. Senior Citizens are also just great big kids, they love to laugh and have fun. If your into old b&w movies or not check out some shows like Jack Benny, Red Skelton, Abbot & Costelo, you will get a lot of gags and jokes that work well for all ages. I've also found that if you make fun of yourself (without degrading your self) everyone will laugh harder. You can be a clown without having to put any makeup on if you don't want. Above all just be yourself and have fun. kids can see through a phony a lot quicker than you think. :D :D :D