View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:14 am 
born to perform.

I think the business card idea is very good for advertising in store windows and giving out to people, you could even show of your skill by using the business cards like 'normal' playing cards and encorporate them into a trick. That idea would be more suited to do infront of adult(s) though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 12:14 pm 
born to perform.

Isn't it somewhat odd to go up to the librarian and ask if they want you to do a magic show. Also , if you make the kids laugh then they will be to noisy in the library.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 12:29 pm 
born to perform.

it could be held outside maybe... the library they just built here has a few conference rooms, so it wont be a problem here, maybe your library has them too... but dont ask some librarian, ask for the person in charge of library events...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:17 pm 
born to perform.

So would that be like the childrens librarian.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:34 pm 
born to perform.

could be, just ask for the person who runs everything... cuz libraries always have events, and someone there organizes them....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 2:01 pm 
born to perform.

I am pretty sure that my library doesn't have"events". The most that ever happens is story time and arts and crafts. But it's worth a try. Is there a certain time you should perform at.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 4:13 pm 
born to perform.

I know where I live that on Saturdays after the scheduled story time that I take my 4 year old to that there is a magicain that performs a 30 minute act. So I guess what I am saying is try to start off for Saturdays and right after story time so the parents can stay a little longer and let their kids see some magic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 8:04 pm 
born to perform.

Aaron123 wrote:
I am pretty sure that my library doesn't have"events". The most that ever happens is story time and arts and crafts. But it's worth a try. Is there a certain time you should perform at.

actually, libraries have magic shows ALL the time for kids, and im not joking.

also libraries LOVE when magicians ask to do work for them because its great advertisement for u and the library.

so trust me on this libraries are the way to start out with kids shows

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:05 pm 
born to perform.

Turns out that my library has a room that is probably perfect for magic. I plan on going to the library tomorrow. Here is a list of effects with descriptions I have already come up with. Please make as many suggestions as you can.

Die Box- You show a box and a die, and place the die into a hat. Show the box empty by running a wand through it and then place the die from the hat into the box and close the lid. Snap your fingers and show the box empty and the die back in the hat.

Zombie Ball- You all know the effect, so I won't bother.

Streamers- The magcian invites an assistant to come up and help the magician. The magician hands helper a piece of tissue paper. The magician takes his and places it into his mouth and starts pulling streamer from his mouth until he runs out.

Silk trick- Magician has two helpers that each hold a silk. The magician also has a silk and make it dissappear. Magician asks someone to name the color of one of the other silks then the magician takes thatsilk and make st the first silk reappear before vanishing the second silk. Once more the procedure is repeated and the magican reappears the last silk from his palm.

Rope through body-Three helpers come up to the help the magician perform the saw the lady in half trick in full view with rope. Two helpers hold the rope to show it is strong while the other will be the sawed person. The rope is tied around the person being sawed and the other helpers hold the rope and pull on the magicians command and the ropes pass through the sawed person causing no harm.

Growing die- A small regular die is shown and place under a handkerchief and caused to disappear. The magician offers to explain but when he goes to show the handkerchief emty a jumbo die falls out.

Production box- A bow that is shown empty is covered by a cloth and when uncovered it is full of candy, or silks, or a small stuffed animal.

That is everything I got so far. Please give suggestions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 11:12 am 
Penguin

DON'T DO THE STREAMER TRICK - If a kid tries to copy you later and chokes on something you're gonna be in deep sh*t

SILK TRICK - why not do a "20th Century Silk" routine - you can also get a comedy version - search google.

Although I haven't done a children's party in 3 years I'll try and give you an idea of the sort of thing I'd do at a kids party.

Vanishing Hanky - Thumbtip vanish of silk, get kid up pull it out of nose (loads of gags, "what's your name? are you married?") get kid to vanish it using wand and tarbell type cone (loads of gags with comedy wands etc) Bring the hanky back in a realy funny way. Kid gets all the praise for saving the day etc. Ballon animal as gift for helping.

Sucker Type effect - Loads of audience participation with story about my aunt who could change the color of her bathing costume. Using a big picture card. Loads of turn it round gags - Oh yes it is - Oh no it isn't stuff with sucker finish.

Block of wood thru body - Made a long time ago by Supreme Magic Co Ltd Basically two woodwn tubes, one goes on the assistants tummy the other is held on the assistants rear. You slide a big red block of wood in the tube held against the tummy it travels down the tube and comes out the other end of the tube held against his backside. Really very very funny very visual, again loads of gags. Balloon animal given out for helping.

Ghost Hunt - Run - Rabbit - Run (look it up if you don't know this effect) type effect with a ghost in a castle theme Gets the kids going mad with excitement (often younger kids wet themselves they've got so excited.)

Dove Pan Production - Circus story with an assistant to help, losts of dressing up, magic wands and funny hats (bongo's giant hat by ali bongo) Climax being the production of a large spring clown from a dove pan (circus tent) I usually use the birthday boy or girl (if it's a b'day party) for the final trick they get a birthday card and a huge balloon rabbit for helping.

This routine plays for 40 mins. The props are big enough to play in a large hall to 200+ kids, yet it is equally at home in someones front room with 12 children. Everything is super visual, loads of color, comedy slapstick, exaggerated facial expression, silly gags, non-stop something happening the whole time. A lot of stuff isn't obtainable now but it might give you an idea of the ENERGY that you have to put into a children's show.

This is what children's entertainment is all about.

One small point my act was put together over time, there was probably about $800+ of props including the Rolon table (the case that carried the props converted to the table to do the show)

TO YOUNGSTERS THAT THINK KIDS SHOWS ARE EASY, THEY'RE NOT!
Sponge balls and card tricks - get real guys - give the kids a real show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 12:12 pm 
born to perform.

^^^^
There it is, I couldn't have said it any better....

Torn and restored underware......I love it
Vanishing Bandana........ Perfect
Hippity Hoppity rabbits......Kids will be screaming from their seats.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 2:44 pm 
born to perform.

kids love coin magic as well... and dont say they dont, i did coin magic for some kids the other day, makin em disappear and travel from hand to hand, and they loved it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 4:26 pm 
Penguin

sure, kids love all sorts of magic. I do a couple of coin tricks to some of the kids that hang around my local store, they love it. Do that stuff at a children's party and it's crap entertainment. Produce a coin at your fingertips when you're doin a school show for 350 5 - 7 yr olds, first off half of them wont see the coin and the rest will think it's boring. Sorry man but coins for kids is a no - no.

Aaron123 - just a thought don't start with the die box, this is too subtle for the first trick, ease them into the idea of a bit of rapport between them and the magician with a few more obvious tricks first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 6:43 pm 
born to perform.

The list I gave was not the order of my show but the list of my tricks

Post subject: Free/Library shows
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:45 am 
Penguin

I used to be in the military, so I got moved around a lot. The easiest way I found to advertise was word-of-mouth/business cards, but it takes a while to get a good base built up. I did shows for libraries and schools, which helped a lot. I also work as a clown, so sometimes (if I did it right) the shows got noisy. Libraries have no problem with this, if they scheduled the shows.
As to whether free shows are good- I do this stuff because I love it, and I always do the best I can for the same reason.
(Also, it seems to me that those who get into magic (and juggling, and clowning) stay away from recreational pharmeceuticals more often than not.) I got my start when I watched a magic show at school- and maybe some kid who sees me will be doing magic in a few years, and be as happy with it as I am.