View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Restaurant Magicians in Vancover?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:44 pm 
Penguin

Very good advice, however I don't necessarily agree that the dishwasher has as much power to get me into the workplace...it will be the General Manager that hires me, not the dishwasher. Although I'm pretty sure that I'm just taking your comment wrong and not fully understanding your example...

Thanks for the advice Paddy!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:50 pm 
Emperor Penguin

BiggerBetterMagic wrote:
Very good advice, however I don't necessarily agree that the dishwasher has as much power to get me into the workplace...it will be the General Manager that hires me, not the dishwasher. Although I'm pretty sure that I'm just taking your comment wrong and not fully understanding your example...

Thanks for the advice Paddy!!

Ya, you totally missed what he was saying about the MANAGER & DISHWASHER.... not the General Manager & Dishwasher.

He said you go to the General Manager to get hired... unlike what you said, which was to 'go to the Manager first'. Going to the manager first is wrong, they have as much power to hire you as the dishwasher does... which is None.

What I dont understand if why you gave advice on a subject you seem to know very little about- as you gave bad advice.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:39 pm 
Penguin

ahaha I follow. Well in my original message I mixed up the titles of Manager and General Manager, for that I apologize for the confusion. However I do in fact know quite a bit about the subject as I've been going around to several restaurants such as White Spot (corporate) and Boston Pizza (corporate) and have received the same response that I had given in my original message. That the request needs to be approved by the levels of management and entered into the quarterly fiscal budget. Please do not confuse the Boston Pizza I tried which was a corporate location with the one that Steve [edited], my previously mentioned friend works at as his is a privately owned franchise with some of the nicest people you'll ever meet. and DavidTheCryptic, I'm curious however to know as to why you would be scanning a thread about tips on restaurant magic being that you seems to know so much about it yourself when you told me that I don't seem to know much about it and gave "bad advice" ... Your clearly experienced and professional insight is greatly appreciated in response.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:01 am 

OK you give 2 examples of a corporate chain needing higher levels of approval. Do you know the difference between success and failure? Hard work. I know for a fact that you aren't looking for gig.

You totally missed the point of what I said in the first post. There are restaurants out the kazoo where you live and every one of them is looking to increase business. Show them that you can solve their problem and you have a gig. Identify their pain and solve it and you succeed it's that simple. As I said earlier you should be able to see their pain, you just have to show them the problem and then how you can solve it.

I have been a full time performer for 15 years now with my main income from restaurants. It's worked for me.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:30 pm 
Penguin

thats great! You're semi correct when you say I haven't been looking around too hard. I've just bees browsing as I am a student still and a part timer at Safeway as well as balancing with other gigs. I'm really interested in getting a solid restaurant in the next couple months once im graduated.

Thanks so much for your great advice paddy, i really appreciate it!