View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: what do you wear?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 7:05 am 
Penguin

i was just wondering, what do you guys wear while table hopping/restaurant walkaround magic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 8:25 am 
Penguin

I generally wear part of a suit that the jacket no longer fit. (Pants and vest only).

I like the vest, because it's got pockets on the inside and outside, and I've got a topit setup in it as well, so that I can handle the "can you make this disappear" request.

The pants a loose, with deep pockets, which is one drawback, because the back pocket is a little to deep to smoothly use my Real Man's Wallethttp://www.magicpatter.com/modules.php?name=Reviews&rop=showcontent&id=2 (the link is a review). The loading is a little tricky, and works best with shallow pockets, but other than that I am good to go.

I wear a white long sleeved shirt, with the sleeves rolled up, mostly because I don't want to be bothered with the "its up your sleeve" mentality.

I know there are a lot of things you can wear around your waist and on your belt for holding stuff, but they get in the way, and interfere with my elbows, making me feel unatural.

David.

Post subject: Mainly...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:06 pm 
Penguin

I mainly wear suits with a nice dress shirt and tie. If the event is exclusive from restaurant work and more formal, sometimes a tuxedo is in need, which I would wear as well.

Andrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:41 am 
born to perform.

For restraunt work I wear something somewhat formal (not a tux) but a nice vest and shirt with slacks as well. A fancy flashy tie. You want to stick out but you don't want to be too far above your audience...relate with them instead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:25 am 
Penguin

Ask the restaurant what they would consider appropriate. Follow their advice but in your own style and interpretation. Personally I wear black (I know it's a cliche) Trousers, sshirt and an expensive black wool/cashmere jacket. I wear a small circled pentagram round my neck. I'm never mistaken for waiting staff but certainly stand out as SOMEONE from the restaurant. So it's a compromise between what works for you and what the venue wants. I've worked in everything from a tux to jeans and vest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 10:39 am 
Penguin

It depends on the type of restaurant. If it's a family fun type restaurant I do a simple pair of black slacks and a black short sleeved collar shirt thingie if it's a more fancy type of place I wear a nice suit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 7:30 pm 
born to perform.

Don't know if you know what this place is, but what should I wear if I go to the Sunshine Factory? Also do you suggest using a briefcase

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:11 am 

Unless I am working a show in a nudist camp, I wear whatever clothes I feel comfortable in.

You NEVER EVER wear blue jeans and a tee shirt. I don't care if Blaine does it, he is not an entertainer he is a street showman. If the place is where the cusomers wear suits, YOU wear a suit. If customers are casual, you can wear dress pants, shirt and tie.

Remember that you are a professional and you are representing the profession but most importantly you are representing the restaurant that hired you.

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 5:37 pm 
Penguin

i wear a very heavy pair of trousers that has lots of pokets and is dark cream...it also has a big leather belt...i also wear a black t shirt and white trainders......the trousers are a god send they can have over 10 packs of card in them and ime bieng dead serios...no one would ever know!.....i work at all diff restraunst and street magic and bars...this is the best dress wear i have...its the only one i have...and it works 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 5:38 pm 
Penguin

oh btw if u have a masters time mashine that gives u the ultamate finish...i also style my hair....rember the masters time mashine is the best watch to wear when doin gmagic........trust me

richard evans ^.^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 11:16 pm 

tamiyakingblackfoot wrote:
i wear a very heavy pair of trousers that has lots of pokets and is dark cream...it also has a big leather belt...i also wear a black t shirt and white trainders......the trousers are a god send they can have over 10 packs of card in them and ime bieng dead serios...no one would ever know!.....i work at all diff restraunst and street magic and bars...this is the best dress wear i have...its the only one i have...and it works 8)

Tami, in another post you said you are 14 years old. So I know that you are not allowed to be in bars and the curfew would keep you off the street. In short, stop telling lies we don't respect you for it nor do we believe what you say.

Now about what you wear. If you came to one of teh restaurants I work at, the G.M would throw you out for being a ragamuffin. If magi want to work in restaurants taht pay and you get tips, look like a professional!!! if it is a family type place, wear dress pants, shirt and tie. If you don't, you won't work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 7:58 am 
Penguin

1...ime not telling lies...u dont know me nor do u know my manager

2...second ill wear what i want thank you very much

3...i dont lie so i advise u chnage yer views on me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 8:00 am 
Penguin

oh and 4th i live in england.u ameroicans have way different laws to us...ure much stricter over there

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 11:01 am 
Penguin

Tell him Tami!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 12:30 pm 
Penguin

lol yea....btw me names richard ^.^ 8)