View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Does anyone have advice for advertising for kid show?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 1:44 pm 
Penguin

I'm thinking about starting to preform at kid shows, but I don't know how to make myself known. Does anyone have any advice for this? Like what kinds of advertisements I should put up or maybe doing free shows?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 2:25 pm 
born to perform.

alright, what u have to do is go to ure local library and ask to do a free kids show there if they advertise it.

get prepared for it and im sure there will be a bunch of kids and their PARENTS.

if they like u the parents will want ure # or bussiness card.

so u just go to the library ask if u can speak to the person in charge of kids things or whatever, say ure a magician and u would LOVE to do a free show for kids at the library.

trust me they wont say no, and if u have a good performance the kids will love u

another thing u can do is go to a childrens hospital and ask if u can perform there for kids, this is more for experiance and giving back to the community.

they will love u there and ure confidence will soar high up.

so if u want do some shows at a hospital and try to get a gig at ure local library

good luck

-Alex-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 5:33 pm 
Penguin

Thanks. I'll try that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 10:44 pm 

It has been my experience that anybody doing a free show will get publicity. Then when a parent wants to hire you and you quote the price that the pros charge, they swallow their underwear.

Remember they think that if you give a free show you are not worth what the "professionals" charge. So it the going rate is $125 to 150 a party, they expect that you charge $50 to $75.

Seen too many of my students get this result and either had to drop their rates or lose out to the entertainers that didn't do freebies.

Your choice.

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 11:26 pm 
born to perform.

well paddy, if they find out about it from the library they wont know that u arent getting paid....

also if they find out it is for free they think it is really nice how u give back to the community and they will want u.

people will obviously know ure worth money if they want u for a party...

they will never think ure for free
and its not only bout getting paid it also is great for experiance for u as a magician and a person, its nice to give back to the community.

if u know who tony clark is, well i was talking to him at the cafe and this was his advice and considering hes an increddible magician i would deffintly go with his advice

but whatever u decide to do, best of luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 6:27 am 

tocatcher2 wrote:
well paddy, if they find out about it from the library they wont know that u arent getting paid....

also if they find out it is for free they think it is really nice how u give back to the community and they will want u...they will never think ure for free
and its not only bout getting paid it also is great for experiance for u as a magician and a person, its nice to give back to the community.
but whatever u decide to do, best of luck

To answer you seriatum. It has been proven that when the public asks about the magi that did the library show and "how do I get ahold of him," the librarian will answer; "oh thats Whats Hisname. He did that show for FREE! Here is his contact info." Now this does not happen all the time, only 98% of the time. Therefore the public knows you're a freebie.

Now the old "giving back to the community" bull. It doesn't work. I have been a full time professional for several years now and I get calls every week from some outfit asking for a show. Then when it comes to the rates they always say "Think of the free advertising! People will see your show and book you for parties!"

Now think about that. If people see a show that you charge for will they call and book you for parties? Yes, if you're good. Now will the same happen if the show is free? Again yes. Now the REAL question. Will you get MORE calls if the show is free? Yea, sure, you will get a total of ZERO additional calls from a freebie. So you have achieved NOTHING and it has cost you in time, money, and effort. The "great for experiance for u as a magician and a person," (to use your phrase and spelling) gains you ZIP and costs you. Sorry but I make a living at this, I practice for a minimum of 4 hours a day on both my standard everyday effects and new effects I bring into my act. In short I put a lot of effort to be the Marines of magic "the best magi I can be."

The new customers can see me at the restaurants where I perform of at Birthday parties and corporate events where I perform. Remember EVER time you perform it is an audition for a new gig.

Now to show you that I do have an altruistic side. I do give free shows to certain charities. The Red Cross and United Way are not included in that group. My requirements include that if anyone is paid by the "charity," then I am paid full price. If it is entirely made up of volunteers then I will give of my efforts too. Make a Wish is one of these along with certain other religious groups, both Jewish and Christian.

It appears by your staements that you seem to forget that You are part of your community as I am part of mine. So when I get paid by a library, I am helping out my community by working for a living so I don't have to live off of the community.

Freebie shows hurt EVERY magician.

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 8:37 am 
born to perform.

yes i do agree that freebies arent the best, but someone who is new to doing kids shows isnt going to be able to get a show right away, if u go to a library or hospital u will automatically get one.

again, i know ure correct that obviously paid shows are better but when ure starting out and u do a paid show u most likely will get VERY nervous and not be prepared.

if u do a couple of fun free shows before u will have confidence and experiance.

i know this from my own experiance that it helps a lot when u do it a library. And after the show u hand out flyers saying u do kids parties etc.

its fun, u get called, its great expericance, and it feels good to give back to the community. this is just my opinionon it all.
but paddy ure advice is also great but this is just what i would have to say
thanks
8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 11:38 am 
Penguin

i total agree with paddy on this one...
tocatcher2, i think ur'e wrong, the dude might not get a job for a show for kids right away.
first of all, he can still try getting one, i bet he's parents could fix him with their friends kids or somethin for their birthday's...
second of all, he could get a job and then publish himself, like working at a libary, BUT getting payed in it as well. serving ur own community doesn't have to do with the fact that ur'e a freebie.
u can take me for an example in it, i served my community by being an assistant-coach in tennis, i got payed for it AND it counted as a help for the community.

no for u slamball,

i would never, and let me repeat that: NEVER do a free show. it's just like paddy said, but it's true... i talked to many expert magicians, and they all told me the same thing. now, do to kids shows, u can go to the public school or to preschool and ask the managers if u could publish urself there... i never tried it, so i don't know if that would work... maybe u could do it befor a holiday or somethin, i don't know... i didn't really need any advertisment myself coz i got known pretty fast (i live in a small place so it's a lot easier-450 families).
anyway, i wish u the best of luck at start performing!!!