View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: closer than ever to a job...
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:51 pm 
born to perform.

ok, well awhile back i posted how i did some magic for one of my managers at outback, and how i suggested that i do magic for the tables... he said it was a good idea, but he wasnt really the right manager to approach...

well i did 3/4 across to my other manager today, and he was blown away(hes seen other magic, thats all i did to him today tho)... and soon after, a server begged me to do magic for their table, so i did and the table loved it... so i knew it was time...

using the advice from Pace's Restaurant Worker's Handbook, i started to tell my manager how ive been learnin alot, and i offered him a free night(like the book suggests) to show him what i could do for the restaurant... and he said it was a great idea, just let him know when and i could do it... so pretty much, im gonna practice my a@# off and set my goal for a month from now... as much as i'd love to go ahead and do it this weekend, i wanna be ready...

anyways, i didnt even have to give him the speech i planned on givin, the free night thing sold it right away... theres never been any kinda restaurant magic around here(let alone any magic), and i explained how it would make outback a unique dining experience... so if uve never had any restaurant experience(like myself), i think it would be a good idea to try out the free night thing, they dont know what to expect, but if u do a good job, they will have no problem hirin u to do it on a weekly basis(which is what my manager said... good job=future job)

just thought id post this to give others lookin for jobs hope... i kinda had an advantage since i already worked here, but the free night should work just about anywhere provided u can impress the manager... what do they have to lose? nothin at all...

so good luck to everyone, and sorry for the long post!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 6:45 am 
born to perform.

Are you ever going to review that book!?!?!
It's coming in the mail for me!
Anyways, so you just asked for the manager?
What day and time?
How old are ya?
What routines do ya plan on doing?
Any other tips would be cool, a longer post would have been awesome.

I'm really in your SAME situation, where the rest. have never seen a magician before and have no idea what they do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:16 pm 
born to perform.

heres the review:
http://www.penguinmagic.com/discuss/viewtopic.php?t=43078

Quote:
Anyways, so you just asked for the manager?

Well, yea, but like i said, I already work there as a busboy, so it wasnt too hard.

Quote:
What day and time?

My answer to this isn't so important(because it was about 11:00pm last night when i was leaving work), but the best time to go to a restaurant is usually between 2-4. Restaurants that aren't open for lunch usually have a certain day set aside for applicants to come between 2-4(at my Outback, its Thursdays).

Quote:
How old are ya?

I'm 19.

Quote:
What routines do ya plan on doing?

Not completely sure yet. That's why I am giving myself a month to prepare. I plan on using tips from Pace's book on routining, but I have a few routine ideas of my own. I'll update on this question.

Quote:
Any other tips would be cool, a longer post would have been awesome.

Well, the most important thing I've done so far was offer the free night. I've talked to my manager before about magic, and I could see he thought about it, but probably didn't know if it would work. As luck would have it, the restaurant has goals to increase profits this year by doing things differently(many things have changed, they even added theme nights). So I suggested a free night, and immediately he realized he had nothing to lose, and he could get a firsthand look at what I would be doing for his restaurant. I also focused on one of my major selling points- Outback would stand out among restaurants because it would offer a package including dining and entertainment. No other restaurant does this, and my manager realizes that it would help to differentiate his business from others around the city.

Wait for Pace's book, it will tell you everything you need to know. Put his ideas together with other sources about performing and you'll be set to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:43 pm 
born to perform.

Thanks for the tips!
I've been doing this magic thing for a year now and I know that I have the skill (in terms with sleights n' all) but the one thing I have problems with is performance. I'm overall a shy guy when you first meet me, but once I get rolling, there really is no stopping...so I plan just to work on my performance skills before even considering to get a job...

I would be interested in hearing routines you plan on doing...I read your other post so whenever you have it thought out I would love to hear it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 6:33 pm 
born to perform.

I'll do that. Good luck working on your performance. Luckily, performance is my stronger point, especially once I have an effect down. It comes to you over time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 7:36 pm 
born to perform.

There are no restaraunts with magicians in them anywhere near me. I think I'll need to break the ice for those other magicians that are to scared.