View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: My routine
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 7:28 pm 
born to perform.

how does this sound for a restaurant routine?
Scotch and Soda
Invisible deck
Daley's last trick
Pyro perseption
leviating dollar bill or hummer card

any advise is highly appreciated

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 7:40 pm 
born to perform.

Short....
You need lots more and be wary of hummer at a table..
Get On the loose
Etmcm
Etmtm
On the spot
and a few others put a good 3 hr.s worth of stuff and then let us know....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 7:43 pm 
born to perform.

no for table to table stuff. Like 4-5 min routine. You know while people wait for their food

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 7:46 pm 
born to perform.

[edited]

Anyways, on to your question. You have all gimmicked tricks/effects except for Dr. Daley's. I'm not saying this is bad, but they can not be examined if I'm not wrong. Isn't it a bit suspicious if you do the invisible deck, then switch your deck for a non gimmicked trick (even if you do a deck switch-you'd better have a pretty good one if want to fool people). Then you do pyro perception, and if I'm not mistaken, this is where the blister goes on your finger representing a card they (the spectator) selected from a pack of cards. In a restaurant, this would not be a good trick. It may make some people feel quisy or sick, seeing you burn your finger up so that it blisters. And then the hummer card, the IT doesn't always stay on the wax for this one, but is a good effect if there are no black lights in the restaurant.

I am not a restaurant magician, so please, any of you who are say what I missed or what was incorrect of me to say. I hope this answers your question. And I wasn't trying to be harsh about the spelling (I'm sure you will find errors in this piece of writing here), but it is so very common on these boards, not just you, but many people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:42 am 
Penguin

i totally agree with ll the post above, even the last one ;)
anyway, i think u should put away the gimmicked stuff and start getting some stuff with ordinery objects. i recommend:

Art of Astonishment books vols 1-3 or dvds vols 1-5
On the loose vols 1-4
On the Spot vols 1-2
Born to Perform
Stealing Pips (if ur'e advanced in cards, if ur'e not, get BTP first)
Encylopedia of Card Magic 1-7

i think these r the stuff that anyone should get first. i personally have the 1st 2 that i stated, and in the mail i have on the spot. i do have some gimmicked tricks, but i try to avoid them. i also think u should get some con magic as well. something of Jay Sankey maybe... well, i hope i helped u out a bit,

Tomer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:13 am 
born to perform.

I agree. It will be pretty hard to secure a restaurant job with gimmicks only(unless your presentation is ridiculously good). Learn some good sleights and the possibilities become endless(practically).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:00 pm 
born to perform.

:arrow: um hockey
Dr.Daley's last trick IS EXAMINABLE
and the way you treated this I have to say sorry to everyone on this forum, no, on the SITE that I'm sorry that I mis spelled Levitation I'm so sorry so someone shoot me now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:36 pm 
born to perform.

Yes, that trick is examinable. I'm just saying you need more than a single routine. You shouldn't do the same routine all night long. If you were only posting one of your routines, then this doesn't apply to you.

A suggestion though... when building a restaurant routine, be sure to choose effects that are quick and effective... visual effects are always a plus. Also, it should flow somewhat. If that is the order you plan on doing your tricks in, then won't it be kind of awkward to pick up your invisible deck before pulling out another deck for pyro perception?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 3:04 pm 
Penguin

Location: ... the halls of Valhalla. Where the fallen warriors awaken, and the brave shall live forever.
[edited]

Walk around routines should be quick, but pack a decent punch. They should also be cohesive. By that I mean one effect should flow into the next, and whatever props you use should relate to each other. Example, I use a lot of silver & gold coins and ornate brass and wooden props, so trying to throw in a Healed & Sealed with an empty and crushed beer can doesn't really make much sense for me. Remember that the tricks that you choose to do and how you lead into them is just as important as how well you do them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 9:11 pm 
born to perform.

sk8board wrote:
:arrow: um hockey
Dr.Daley's last trick IS EXAMINABLE
and the way you treated this I have to say sorry to everyone on this forum, no, on the SITE that I'm sorry that I mis spelled Levitation I'm so sorry so someone shoot me now

Lol...I put (quote)You have all gimmicked tricks/effects except for Dr.Daleys last trick(end quote). Yo, I don't want you to shoot yourself over nothing, but, I was just asking you to maybe put a little more time into your posts. I'm not looking for a fight-if I want to fight I'll fight in my next lacrosse game. The point, by the way, wasn't that you misspelled levitation. Sorry that you took offense. I think that your routine would be great if you took each one of those effects, and added different tricks to them, it might work quite well. For your Dr. Daleys last trick, put it in a routine with other ungimmicked effects-I'm sure that you have many. For the gimmicked effects, put them with each other, and finish with the invisible deck, making the deck dissapear (by spinning the deck and letting it fall in your inside pocket-I saw Ammar do it once) So that is my input.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 9:13 pm 
born to perform.

tomer wrote:

Art of Astonishment books vols 1-3 or dvds vols 1-5
On the loose vols 1-4
On the Spot vols 1-2
Born to Perform
Stealing Pips (if ur'e advanced in cards, if ur'e not, get BTP first)
Encylopedia of Card Magic 1-7

Tomer

This would be very helpful, I agree with tomer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 11:59 pm 
born to perform.

I have born to perform, I have a bunch of sleights, but these are quick, and pack a punch.The patter is short so people aren't like " Ok but what about MY card?" but yeah I have Sankeys coin stuff and am good at that. And I have a bunch of other stuff so I can have different routines. Maybe get rid of the invisible deck so I dont have to switch cards. How about a matrix routine? or Jokers wild? perhaps a mini-Dover pan and make like their recipt appear or somthing around that idea?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 11:11 am 
born to perform.

sk8board wrote:
I have born to perform, I have a bunch of sleights, but these are quick, and pack a punch.The patter is short so people aren't like " Ok but what about MY card?" but yeah I have Sankeys coin stuff and am good at that. And I have a bunch of other stuff so I can have different routines. Maybe get rid of the invisible deck so I dont have to switch cards. How about a matrix routine? or Jokers wild? perhaps a mini-Dover pan and make like their recipt appear or somthing around that idea?

In resturaunt magic, you shouldn't being going to the bathroom after each performance just to reset your tricks....Scotch and Soda although a great trick, isn't really made for a resturaunt magician...the reset after each performance is just too impratical.
Matrix is the same way....do you think the spectators are going to move their plates around to give you enough room to perform this? You have to expect that they won't...
Joker's Wild is a good trick to perform because it instantly resets, its quick, not confusing, and packs a pretty big punch...something that is definetely opening material.

I would honestly suggest thinking over doing looking for a job...the 5-7 tricks you mention might pass for the first time, but what about people who come to the resturaunt often? Are you going to show them the same trick?...Just think it over...I for one am not going to get a job for atleast another few months, just to be 100% I am ready (also to make-up a bunch of routines that would work for me)...

Hope this helps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 12:20 pm 
born to perform.

Well when i get a job I have my own stand so that the plates aren't a problem. And I can perform Scotch and Soda somtimes. Not every table, but like every other. Would you suggest Jay Sankey's wrap it up for an opener. Saying "excuse me I should never talk to people when I have gum in my mouth" So what else would be good considering I have my own stand. And I do have alot of magic books so i can change my routine like every week

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 2:59 pm 
born to perform.

sk8board wrote:
Would you suggest Jay Sankey's wrap it up for an opener. Saying "excuse me I should never talk to people when I have gum in my mouth"

Sticky Situation is a 100x better...you can hand the piece of gum out for someone at the end...

Also are you sure the resturaunt will allow you to have your own stand...at a local resturaunt that I might be working at soon, they said they would only hire me if I didn't need my own table...