View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 4:39 pm 
born to perform.

Its on wheels and is more like a teachers Podeam. So its not like an acualt table so its not too big, But I will definatly need AOA uh and On The Loose. How about Green magic? how would that work for a restaurant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 1:39 pm 
Penguin

As mentioned before. Try to have as few gimmicked effects as possible. I wouldnt get rid of the invisible deck so fast. I recommend having no more than 1 gimmicked deck on you, and invisible deck is a great finisher, and it takes about 5 seconds to reset (I perform Sankeys "X-Deck" from his secret files DVD, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED). Learn to perform with ordinary borrowed objects (On the Spot is great for this). Also, try to involve your spectaors as much as possible. Sponge balls is almost a must. People find this so amazing. You should try to keep your pockets fairly empty by having as few gimmicked effects as possible. You should be able to take a handful of change, a pack of cards, a few sponges, and any borrowed objects and perform for a whole night. Good luck and PM me if you have any other questions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 2:46 pm 
Penguin

right get these three books

125 card tricks the $4 dollar one

royal road to card magic the newest one

and encyclopida to card tricks by jean hugard and jj crimmins the one with the picure of cards wit ha red background the card s making a nice 8 shape patteren...the patteren on the cards is the same for royal road to card magic

with these three books restrarunt work is a breeze...dont forget yer cards lol

Post subject: Table Work
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:10 am 
Penguin

I have to put my tuppence into this one- stay away from work ON the table or bringing one with you. It is cumbersome (at least it was for me) and can get messy using the table (I have worked before and after the meal). I use some of Troy Hooser's stuff- set up to work standing. The free-standing style works for me and is quicker to disengage if the meal comes too soon.
Also- if you use gimmicks, bring 2 of whatever you use. Places I work allow me a space to keep my case close at hand for refills/spares.
I try not to use more than one gimmicked item in a show (short ones, at least).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:02 pm 
Penguin

I would suggest to begin with some reading:

Huggard's Royal Road to Card Magic
Bobo's Modern Coin Magic
25 Tricks with Sponge Balls (balls or bunnies)

Also, I would stay away from anything that does not instantly reset (e.g. scotch and soda)

Good advice has been given about not using too much of the table, not bringing one with you, and staying away from too many gimmicks.

Try to use effects that involve your audience where they can hold the coin/card/sponge... or where you can use borrowed items (like a bill switch or coin routine) and keep each effect short so you can end if the food shows up, or you sense you're loosing the audience, etc...

And remember that you are the entertainer, not the props! And always leave them wanting more...

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:29 am 

Don't use too many card effects. There is the "Uncle Henry" syndrome that you will run into if you do. The "my Uncle Hery used to do card tricks all the time" line followed by "they are so boring."

Start with a good sponge ball or coin effect, then you can do a card effect and finish with something memorable. Then get your butt to a different table with 3 different effects.

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:24 pm 
Penguin

Everyone has made very good suggestions. Remember that you need effects that instantly reset because the restaurant is not paying you to sit in a corner and reset your tricks. It also looks funny if the magician is "playing" with his props after every table. Be careful with thread effects and make sure you have the right lighting. Loops are good because you can "shadow" yourself with your body. No tables! It makes you less spontaneous. The most I ever use a table for is to maybe set one card down for a moment. Don't invade their table space! I will also name some good effects to get you going in restaurants:
Openers: You need good quick visual magic. I never open with card effects. Some good ideas are hopping half, coin flurry to jumbo production, copper/silver/brass, or any good visual opener. flash paper is a must! Get em watchin!!
Middle: Cards? sponge routines? Chicago opener type card effects are easy to follow. Skinners monte or color monte is good. gimmicked decks like brainwave or invisible deck are good. Good visual magic is always important. color changing knives or a good paddle routine...
Closers: You need something they will never forget. I usually close with card on ceiling or card in wallet. Ambitious card is a must. Folded card to impossible location, i.e. Sankey's paperclipped, card in shoe, kennedy's mystery box,etc. Something with a borrowed bill is always cool.
Hopefully these ideas will get you goin, keep skatin!

Post subject: newb
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:18 pm 
Penguin

you sound like you are new to magic. you shouldnt get a job this yet. ive been doing amgic for 5 years and go a job a year ago. you need preparation and practice and experience.

your tricks are all gaffs except daly. get some DVD's and VHS'.learn the art better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:53 pm 
born to perform.

Ive been doing magic for a while. I have alot of stuff other than gaffed!OK I have alot of experiece and I can do a 45 min routine with normal cards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 11:53 pm 
born to perform.

ultimate transpo
2cm
biddle trick
stealth pen
a gambler trick i made up
a two card transportation i made up
magic stoplight cards
color monte
transpozition or emerge triumphant
a couple things from etmcm 1-6 and awaiting 7-9
a couple things from green magic 1-6 such as snap deal and xirtram
a few things from east to master money miracles 1-3
cigarette up the nose
daryls full monte
hundy 500
questionable trick
a couple of card vanishes and productions from art of card manipulation

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 11:55 pm 
born to perform.

and then ill pick the ten best tricks that get the greatest reactions :lol: :shock: 8) :lol: :twisted: :) :lol: 8) :twisted: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 2:56 pm 
born to perform.

and you have to relize that its only goin to be a 5-10 min routine too