View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Interview soon.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:03 pm 
Penguin

Hey everyone. Im sure this has been posted before, but things do change. I called a local restaurant, not a chain (because I heard those are best to go to) and was wondering what I need to prepare for when I'm interviewed and showing them tricks. Also, they asked what I charge, Im assuming we can work something out. Anyway, like how many tricks to show, what are some ones that will make a lasting and good impression? Anything and everything would be awesome. And again, sorry for the same 'type' of post. Thanks a million!

Shane--

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:45 pm 
born to perform.

:D just make a search. There will be plenty of stuff available for almost all of your question

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:21 am 

You should have had your routine worked out before talking to the restaurant. What would you have done if the manager had asked you to audition on the spot.

Too late to ask that question now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 5:28 pm 
Penguin

david blaine, did the balducci levitatioin, and a trick were he launched the deck adn the guys card was on the other side of the 50 foot window. when he was trying to get into abc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:04 pm 

Mr Blaine knew someone at the network or he would not have gotten in with such crumby video.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 1:12 am 
born to perform.

Well he's not trying to get on ABC, he's trying to get a restaurant job.

Holland, maybe we can help you out more if you let us know what kind of things you own or know how to do already. I agree with paddy though, you should already have this worked out, as well as a few routines prepared in case he decides to hire you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 3:33 am 
Penguin

To maybe answer your question more directly. I'm kind of in the same position but have a good friend who recently made the leap (if you will to doing restaurant walk around) and I've asked him the same question he told me the must are:

GIMMICKS:
-invisible deck
-pen thru (stealth) with a possible bill change

NON-
-old faithful (2 card monte or an ambitious card routine)
*basically a strong but not too long card trick
-I do a coins across routine in their hands and a watch steal when i'm "showing" them how it works

I believe most people when thinking about going into restaurant (walk around) think too hard and worry too much. Agreeing with some advice someone told me you really only need 10 strong effects (3 per table by the time you repeat you should far enough away from the first table). Those are 10, minimum, that you work to build on.

f.y.i. My friend does "ring leader" a lot and it is very strong its a video that I bought/studied and then traded with him (temporarily). I don't really like writing long post so I'm gone, but I hope this helped some. pm me if you'd want more specific info. or whatever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 5:26 am 
born to perform.

This is what I would want to see if I were hiring someone;

I would ask what they planned to show, and I would want to see a fluid routine that was impressive, not necessarily out of this world,(no pun intended) but solid. During the interview I would not say," O.k heres a trick, and here is another, and my final trick, etc." I would start performing a little magic while just in casual conversation, then build into a routine. Only perform what you can do, don't try a trick you aren't comfortable with yet, because you will be nervous, and it will be a weak trick with either hesitation, or a flash.

Good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 10:45 am 
Penguin

Thanks for the tips guys. My interview is tomorrow and I was talking to a fellow local magician Wayne Hoffman, whom worked there before. He said to do like 3 tricks for a demo. An opener, filler, and closer. I appreciate your imput to! I think for the demo I want to close with Jay Sankey's "In a Flash" because its so awesome with card, coin and fire magic. Maybe Invisible Deck and the B2 Bomber. I know, I know theyre all gimmicked but to make a first impression I think that'd best. Anything else you want to comment or add about my demo thatd be awesome. Thanks again.

Shane--

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:04 pm 
born to perform.

If I had to do a demo, I would definitely include an Ambitious Card routine, but that's just me. It's a very entertaining trick, because the magic happens over and over again with no logical explanation for it. Those tricks you chose are good, but I would try something else(just my opinion).

For instance, Invisible Deck is an incredible effect, but it's much better when you can milk the effect with some good patter(and you're trying to keep it short and to the point).

The B-2 is a good choice. Just make sure you can make it fit into your routine smoothly.

As for In a Flash, it's a great trick, but it might not be one that the manager will want you to perform while table-hopping(considering the massive flame).

Like I said, those tricks are good, but it doesn't seem like your routine will flow that well. Maybe it's just me.

Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 2:56 pm 
Penguin

mysteriousone,

I know this probably sounds horrible, seeing how I love card sleights and such but I dont know any Ambitious Card routine at all. It's sad. Now, your saying it doesnt flow well, however in a demo I would want to show a variety of tricks I'd preform. Once I get the job, yeah I would want a smooth flowing routine. Any suggestions on a smooth good routine would consist of? Thanks!

Shane--

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 5:30 pm 
Penguin

listen i may be 14 but i know restraunst...dont do certain tricks...do tricks yer dam good at...me i just did a svengali and i got the job...mabie the manager was just nice...go for it mate make yer sle flook good and just...go for it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:29 am 
born to perform.

Wow, don't know an Amb card huh? It was my 2nd trick to learn and LAST trick to master/finish!

A routine that I see as SUPER FLOWING is my

Linking Rubberbands (aka Headbands)
CMH
Fake CMH Vanish of 1 band
Pinnacle
Then a Ring Effect!
Either Ring Leader or Ring Fright/Flite or Stirring Silver

Then if you want to go crazy bend their spoons.

That to me is fluidity. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:03 pm 
born to perform.

It only has to be smooth and flowy in the context of your presentation.....if your presentation is good you can string together any amount of effects and they will look or feel flowy.....Make sure you have motivation for going to your pocket EVERYTIME.....Don't set your effects up in a way that makes them look choppy if you do bill effects and do lots of them....ok but if you do unrelated effects relate them through patter...

You DO NOT NEED an ambitious card routine....

Hope this helped have fun and if you need more help or were confused just let me know and I will do my best to help you out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 3:41 pm 
born to perform.

Location: Oh yeah? Well a 7 nation army couldnt hold me back biaaaaaaaaaaaaatch
Fluidity does not meen the tricks have to be related. It just means that your presentation of effects has to flow. Watch a performer with good presentation skills. Take a look at jay Sanky on his TVBO dvds. Most of his effects are completly different but he has beautiful transitions.