View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: how old???
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:30 pm 
Penguin

sup i am debatin on wether to do resturount magic or not.
i do parties for all ages and they said i can get big money by going to
a restureant :lol:. so my quistion is how old you have to be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:16 pm 
born to perform.

self-edited for a stupid error. Advice posted here that no one should follow...

Last edited by tallant on Sun Aug 01, 2004 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 2:53 pm 
Penguin

First I hope your magic isn't like your spelling Cameron, atrocious/horrible!!! That makes me think that no matter how old you are, you're not professional enought to approach a ...r e s t a u r a n t. You have to tell me what kind of tricks your doing because they have to good with that spelling... seriously what's your top 5???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 3:01 pm 
Penguin

tallant, ur'e right about the laws and all that, but ur'e totally wrong about not doing ur best tricks to the manager!!! the manager is the 1 person u wanna show ur best tricks to, he's the only 1 u need to impress. u don't need to "save the best tricks for later", what did u mean by that anyway? he won't need to show the manager any tricks again. anyway, i think u should wait for someone with more experience to answer this question, it would help if u post ur age. but i personally think u can start street magic if u want, it would help u to go to strangers and aproaching them better. i'm corrently doing the street magic and would go to restaurant later on, i first want to improve my performence.
anyway, good luck on getting the restaurant work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:56 am 
Penguin

[quote="soupersexy"]First I hope your magic isn't like your spelling Cameron, atrocious/horrible!!! That makes me think that no matter how old you are, you're not professional enought to approach a ...r e s t a u r a n t. quote]

:oops: i was in a H-U-R-R-Y
I do all types of magic tricks......so what kind do you think is the best

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 11:04 am 
Penguin

I'm 16 and just got my first restaurant job. You don't need a permit, you just need to manager to hire you. I get paid 70 bucks for 2 hours. I find that rather decent. Do tricks that the spec's won't want to grab at. I do use gimmicked tricks however I make sure they are examinable, like In A Flash! (I reccomend this for restaurant walk-around) or make sure you present the trick so they wont want to examine it (i.e. Invisible Deck). Get a good solid routine, and you'll be in. Hope this helps.

Shane--

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 2:01 pm 
born to perform.

wow, holland, a brand new penguin getting a job so quickly. Looks like you just came in a hit the goldmine!
Inform us on all your routines and where you work and such! :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 6:02 pm 
Penguin

Thanks Flip!

Well to start off I work at a restaurant called The Crab Barn. It's not a chain (which are the BEST places to work at) and the lighting is dim, and it's just so.....well....perfect if I must say. haha. Anyway, my routine conisits of really whatever I judge the spectators might like. Some people just don't want to be bothered when you walk up to them, other's love it. I usually use the Invisible Deck as an opener, because if there's any mentalism/card trick that'll grasp their attention, it's definitly that one. Once I'm in with the table, they usually let me know by their body language whether or not they'd like to see another one. If I cant tell, I'll ask them if they have time for another trick or two. Most of the time it's a "sure!" If all goes well I usually preform 3 tricks per table. I like to rotate tricks between tables, because you don't want the table next to you watching the SAME trick you just showed them. These are what I usually preform:

- ID
- In A Flash!
- 2 Card Monte
- **Working on an Ambitious Card Rountine**
- Scotch and Soda - (Making the Centavo appear in their pocket pending they have a jacket or easy to reach pocket)
- Coins Across or Another Matrix routine
- B2 Bomber
- Bite Out of Quarter
- And I'll usually carry along Fadeout if I need another trick
- Great impromptu card magic besides the 2 Card Monte & Ambitious
- Twisted Sisters

I find that not having a routine that [i]flows works excellent. People, I found, love the variety in having different tricks. It does get boring if you'd play with a deck of cards for 3 tricks in a row. I know a lot of these are gimmicked but they work and people love them. Someone said that Twisted Sisters was quote "the best trick I've ever seen." I love my job and I hope all of you hoping and trying to get a job dont give up. Because it totally rocks doing what you love while making some big bucks. Good luck to all of you, and please feel free to PM me with any other questions!

Shane--

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:37 pm 
Penguin

First Cameron I didn't mean to come at you in an attacking manner; I just think little things like spelling mean a lot when your talking about professionalism. To answer your question about what I think is best here are some things that I plan on using when I approach my local restaurants this weekend:

Cards:
-torn and restored
-ambitious card
-here then there
-jumbo card pridiction
-2 card monte
-an ace trick (from michael ammar's videos)
-anniversiry waltse
-an original (really strong)

As well as:
-effects with my TT
-stealth pen
-coins across
-raven
-nickels to dimes
-crazy man's handcuffs
-sponge balls
-and some watch steals

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:47 pm 
born to perform.

Going back to my post for a sec;
I really should have checked my post again before i posted it. Of course use your best tricks for the manager (I dont know why I said what I said- typing mistake). :oops: :oops:
What I meant to say was, dont use the exact same tricks every night you perform incase you are performing for repeat customers (you may not recognise them as you will perform for a lot of people, but they will remember what you did). If you perform the same routine every night, people (including you) will become bored. So save some of your other tricks for later- I mean, make sure you have a good selection so that you are able alter your routines.
And of course, tomer is write- use the best tricks you have as s/he is the guy who hires you.
Also, you will be able to find a lot more helpful advice around from a lot more helpful magi's. :oops:

Post subject: how old
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:26 pm 
Penguin

thank you guys so much for the fyi :P :lol: :P :lol: :P

Last edited by cameronbrown on Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: how old
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:28 pm 
Penguin

P.S.
if you have any more tips please send them to my msnm e-mail :P

Last edited by cameronbrown on Sat Feb 14, 2004 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: No True Age Limit
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 8:56 pm 
Penguin

There's not really an age limit when it comes to working restaurants. The first work I ever did in a restaurant was at 12. So if you can do work at that age, thereafter, it isn't so hard. Some restaurants however will choose not to let you work until 21 for legal reasons and liability. Those restaurants are the ones that sell and serve a lot of alchohol. By law, at least in the states, minors are not allowed to roam through those areas. If the restaurant you work at has a bar area, that's different. That just means you stay away from that section of the facility.

Andrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 10:23 pm 
Penguin

i only have 3 pices of advice

ure only good to work in restraunt when u feel ready if u dont feel confatble with yerself or yerself give i ta few more years

use tricks that yer good at...i say a trick is a trick they are all the same its how u perform em and how well u pull em off thats why i have a go at any trick i can get hold of just aslong its had some hardcore practice

dont stikc to rotines yes they say do this ect ect i dont ime 14 i dont like rotines personally i like to be spontanios and seace my chance when it looks like a good time.....i like doing the masters time mashine the most tho......whatever yer good at and the ones that ure not good at...get practicing!