View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: looking for a good routine
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:25 pm 
Penguin

Hey guys , Im from Montreal . Im 22 years old and i just discovered this website recently. Ive been trying to construct my own routine for a few days now . Im thinking about doing restaurant work in the near future. Ive been doing magic for about 10 years now , mostly with cards . Ive been looking for a few NON-CARD effects to add to my repertoire . If you guys could recomend some tricks,books,dvd , it would help me a lot. And if you guys have any killer card effects you know , let me hear about them ... I never really had the chance to test what works/dont works in a restaurant. Heres what i had so far ,but like i said , im building my routine , a lot of stuff will dissapear from there and i plan on adding a few more tricks..

-Ambitious card
-Red hot mama
-Twisting the aces
-Linking cards
-Torn/restored card the Guy hollingworth version (is that how we write it ??)
-The thought trasmitter (mentalist trick)
-las vegas leaper
-Folded prediction in paperclip
-Finger on a card (this usually has the biggest reaction from lay people)

These are just a few of the tricks that i wanted to include . Ive been visiting this site for 2 days now and i saw a few tricks that looks pretty cool.Most of the tricks by Jay sankey are superb (snowstorm,Flash *something* and public transit) I saw a few tricks like One and only by paul harris ... But now , im fresh out of ideas .. can you guys help me ? ...

Oh and by the way .. nice meeting you all .. ;o) :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:11 pm 
Penguin

Hey what's up man? I too have been planning routines for my restaurant act. I haven't rushed into to things like a lot of young magi on here sound like they have. I really think the lack of preparation is going to get the best of them (but thats a whole nother post). It sounds like you have a pretty strong card arsenal, and I'm going to assume that you also can perform some of the more "simple" strong card effects like, here to there and 2 card monte. I also feel that cards are my strong point, and something that I can always fall back on but here are some of the non-card effects that I will be using when I go:

-effects with my TT
-stealth pen
-coins across
-raven
-nickels to dimes
-crazy man's handcuffs
-sponge balls
-rattle box
-air borne glass
-and some watch steals

And this is one of my routines that I'm excited about:

Set up: coin finger palmed in one hand and giant "contact" from rattle box palmed in other hand.

-giant contact from eye
Patter: "I always have trouble with those things" As I put the contact in my pocket produce the quarter from spectators ear. Take coin and fake pass it from right to left, blow on it and drop from nose . (taking the audiance into concideration)

-Bring out "4" more coins and do my coins across routine in their hands (utilizing the classic palm) After all the coins jump, a possible watch steal as I explain to them how it works.

Goodness that might be enough right there!!! what card tricks? but if not and time permits anyone of my favorite card tricks:

-my card trick (that is one I made up)
-here then there
-dunbury aces
-club sandwich
-anniversiry waltse

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:57 pm 
Penguin

crazyman handcuffs is also in my repertoir ... ill probably do coin in bottle ... im not sure about sponge ball , i mean , i dont think its professional

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 8:50 pm 
Penguin

sponge balls is for the kids, you can't forget the kids!!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:44 pm 

drakebauer wrote:
crazyman handcuffs is also in my repertoir ... ill probably do coin in bottle ... im not sure about sponge ball , i mean , i dont think its professional

It is VERY professional. If you don't consider Jeff McBryde a professional then maybe not. Or David Ginn, or Samuel Patrick Smith, or any of us who make our entire income as a magician that do sponge balls.

I have entertained kids, adults, at nursing homes, on military bases with my sponge ball routine.

If the sponge ball routine is interweaved with other material it is a completely professional package. I go from my ball routine to silk routine to sponge ball to changing colour sponge balls to transpo from sponge balls to spring flowers. The reactions have been wonderful with all audiences and have gotten me booked at some really good gigs.

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 8:28 am 
Penguin

ill admit that the only magician i saw doing the sponge ball routine was david hutpack ... plus , all The other magician ive met do the exact same thing that i saw on that tape (guess david hutpack is making money , or prehaps they all watched the tape together hahaha) ... I love the work that Jeff mcbride does , so i guess i could inspire myself if i could see him perform .... Hmm.. it is true that what really counts is the layman's reaction ... maybe ill give it a shot .

Post subject: Re: looking for a good routine
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:11 am 
Emperor Penguin

drakebauer wrote:
-Ambitious card
-Red hot mama
-Torn/restored card the Guy hollingworth version (is that how we write it ??)
-Folded prediction in paperclip

Those will get your great reactions I'm sure. Hopefully Paddy can shed his opinion on that.

One effect I always perform, is a self-working card effect called Three Card Surprise. It gets me excellent reactions. Always.

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:12 am 
born to perform.

I did a show the other night, check out my routine.
http://www.penguinmagic.com/discuss/vie ... highlight=

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:32 am 
Penguin

SPONGE BALLS IS NOT JUST FOR KIDS. I frequently open with sponge balls and it gets one helluva reaction from the adults. I have had adults scream, shout and almost fall off their chair in suprise with sponge balls. Some of you guys are missing out big style if you think sponge balls are for kids. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 1:51 pm 
Penguin

I think ill get myself the trick killer key by jay sankey ... packs small , plays big ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:07 pm 
Penguin

I also got the trick SINGLE AMBITION from jay sankey ... i placed it in my ambitious card routine .. at the end of the routine , i show that the card came back on top (again haha) and then i do the erdnase colour change . The ink of the card apears to have vanished from the face of the card to the back of the card ..... its hard to be more ambitious then that ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:34 am 
Penguin

I bought 2 items this weekend . one of them is called a ''caps on fire'' wallet . Its a fred caps wallet and a fire wallet (hey hey) at the same time . Ill need to incorporate this in my routine . I bought also a pen trough bill ... (hey , it was only 15$ , canadian ... thats about 465.37 $ US) haha nah im joking . I did get the pen , a simple black pen with wich you can pass thru a 20$ bill .. the pen and bill can be examined at the end .

Ive been working on building up my routines for the restaurant work .. tell me what you all think.

Routine 1
-Twisting the aces
-cross twist
-Linking cards

Routine 2
-Crazymans handcuffs
-Linking headbands
-(a trick i do with 2 rubber bands and a paperclip that jumps from on band to the other 3 times)

Routine 3
-Ambitious card
-Invisible rising card (same effect as invisible pask but with normal deck)

Routine 4
-Las vegas leaper
-Card to wallet

Routine 5
-Folded prediction
-Torn and restored card

Routine 6
-Pen through bill
-Star warp (like cardwarp , but with a bill and card)

So heres a sample of what i would like to do ... i would do the same 2 or 3 routines over and over at each table ... 1 routine per visit ... each one would last about 5 minutes ... what do you all think ? ... Should i change anything ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:24 pm 
born to perform.

Less cards....Add a chop cup routine...Add sponge balls....Try Pinnacle from Russ Niedzwecki. Learn a few coin tricks...If you are not good with coins like me get an okito box a half shelf and a quarter shell. You can do A TON with these three devices...If your slieghts aren't up to par....Look into a topit. Learn a good epic routine. I use the X-pert for mine. Delve deep into books and find 2 or three things you never heard of ask if others have heard of them then practice them. The audience will see something NEW for sure that way.

On the Spot is a great DVD for this kind of work.

As is Carroll Bakers On the Menu DVD...NEW came out this Tuesday. For me it was some of the most functional material...

Hope this helps

Adam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:30 pm 
Penguin

Yeah , maybe ill go with the jay sankey ear plugs sponge balls ... ill see about that . thanks :shock: oopps , wrong smiley :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:19 pm 
Penguin

Jay Sankey Jay Sankey Jay Sankey - do you have shares in this guys company?? :roll: