View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: few questions for people who have done retuarant magic
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 7:58 pm 
Penguin

can u please answer these questions

1. how much do u get paid hourly (not including tips) and what restuarant pays u that?

2. what is the average amount of tips u make in an hour?

3. from ur experience, what day do u usually get the most tips? (if there is a difference)

4. do u use routines or just show people effects as u go?

5. what is ur favorite magic trick that u preform at restuarants?

thanks in advance!

Post subject:
    PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 8:52 pm 
    born to perform.

I do a little work at a TGIFridays, but mostly at a comedy club.
    At Fridays I just work for a free meal that evening plus whatever tips I make off of the tables. Weekends are by far the best nights for tips.
    At the comedy club I table hop before and after the shows and they pay me $100 a night plus my tips.

As far as a routine...I usually don't do a specific one. I like to mix it up and get a feel for the people/table I'm performing for. I'll do three to four tricks per table and move on. Anything from cards to coins to gimmicks (Stealth Pen, Bite Out Quarter, Floating Dollar Bill, TT, etc. - maybe even Sponge Balls if there are some kids around)

Some of my favorites to perform are Ambitious Card, Cross Twist, Dime and Penny, Color Monte.

Let me know if that helps you out at all.[/quote]

Post subject:
    PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 9:14 pm 
    Penguin

thanks for the info. how long is a nite of work at the comedy club, retrac?

Post subject:
    PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 9:26 pm 
    born to perform.

It's usually two or just over two hours in total at the comedy club. There is anywhere from an hour to an hour and fifteen minutes before and after the show.
    At Friday's I work about three hours a night. Sometimes more, sometimes less depending on the crowd and tips. I usually get a few dollars per table.
    Hope that helps.

Post subject:
    PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:45 pm 
    born to perform.

hey retrac, what are some routines you do?
    And is it a myth of impossible/hard ways to get w/ Big chains in restaurants?

Do you only talk to the manager?
    Did you just go up the the desk and ask for him?
    How old are you?
    Just elaborate on your job.

Post subject:
    PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:28 pm 

NEVER do free work at a restaurant unless it is ONE audition night!! The fees vary from locality to locality, what is good in Cincinnati OH is BAD in New York City.

To work for free tells the restaurant that you don't think you're good enough to be paid, and that is how they will treat you. I know I stole 2 restaurants away from a guy doing free just for tips by tell the General manager just that. "Hey if he is that bad that he will work just for tips, do you want HIM to represent your restaurant?" I was working there the next week for $100 a night plus tips.

Post subject:
    PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 10:31 pm 
    born to perform.

paddy wrote:
    NEVER do free work at a restaurant unless it is ONE audition night!! The fees vary from locality to locality, what is good in Cincinnati OH is BAD in New York City.

To work for free tells the restaurant that you don't think you're good enough to be paid, and that is how they will treat you. I know I stole 2 restaurants away from a guy doing free just for tips by tell the General manager just that. "Hey if he is that bad that he will work just for tips, do you want HIM to represent your restaurant?" I was working there the next week for $100 a night plus tips.

I don't think that's too cool. It's good that you got work, and are well-paid for it, but to take another magician's restaurant, let alone two of them, seems wrong. Maybe the guy was fully talented and capable of being paid, but did it as more of a hobby, or didn't need the money. Or, maybe he was terrible. Either way, I feel that if you know that a restaurant already has a magician working, you should not solicit your services there. If the management is not happy with their performer, and they approach you as a replacement, that's one thing, but otherwise I say let sleeping dogs lie. There are plenty of restaurants out there that don't already have entertainers. I know I wouldn't want someone to take a restaurant away from me, especially based on what I'm being paid, regardless of my magic. I do however, agree with your point of not performing for free unless it's one audition night. Just not happy with taking work from fellow magi.

Post subject:
    PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 11:04 pm 

If he was a fellow magi I would not even attempt to take a job from him or her. If they are an amateur, too bad. Hobbyists and amateurs have their place, but it is not in the restaurant or stage business taking jobs from full time working magi.

Post subject:
    PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:52 pm 
    Penguin

guess nobidy wants to share how much money they make :(

Post subject:
    PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:29 pm 
    Penguin

I perform Restaurant magic on Fridays and Saturdays in the evening for about 2 to 3 hours each time. I walk up to each table with a couple routines planned out. If it is a family at the table, I will perform something with a mixture of stuff for the kids and the adults. If it is a couple, or a single person, I will usually stick with cards, and money. I perform at each table for about 5 minutes (depending on how crowded it is) I like to end off my routine with a money trick. What I will do, is ask them for a dollar, then I will perform a really amazing trick with the dollar ( or whatever amount you ask for;usually not too big.) then when I go to hand it back to them, 90% of the time they will let you keep it if it is not a huge bill. Just make it clear to them that the money trick will be your last trick of the evening for them, then go into performing it, when done, they leave it as your tip. I charge the owner $80 a night and I rake in about an average of $120 on tips each night, because I perform alot of tricks with their money. I hope I helped with your question.