View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Confidence
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 10:14 am 
Penguin

Here is another older article dealing with the issue of confidence. Enjoy…

Confidence is difficult thing to have. Confidence is merely having faith in ones self. In other words believing in yourself and the abilities you have. Notice that I did not say the abilities that you can do. Thinking about the things that you can do would limit your mindset of being confident/believing. Never accept this. You, within yourself, have endless amounts of potential. You can do anything you want. Don’t let anyone tell you different.

Now applying this to magic takes a little more thinking. You’re out and about and you’re looking for someone to perform for. You’re excited and ready to do some magic. First things first, taking agreement with RT Showmann, I’d advise you to scope out your area of performing, your domain. This means knowing what your range of performing is. The area you’re going to contain your performing to in other words. Once you have figured this out walk up and down the area for a while. Make it your home. Do you feel comfortable in your own home? Well of course you do. Why? You’re use to it. So get use to your “new” home. Take a look at where everything is. Also take note of where the people are. Observe your “new” home for a good while. To the point where you know where everything is at and where the people are.

Now before you pick the person you want to approach. Stop for a minute. Go through your head the routine/tricks you ARE about to do. Also go through your patter as well. However since people are un-predictable you should be ready to improvise. React upon the reactions. By now you might be having second thoughts about performing at all. STOP! Believe in yourself. You’re probably getting nervous as well. You’re starting to stiffen up and your getting butterflies in your stomach. Ok here’s what to do. Stop for a second and regain yourself. Take three slow deep breaths. Know in your mind that everything will be ok. The worse thing that will happen is they say they don’t want to see magic. So you move on to someone else. At least you tried. Believe it or not you also gained experience. Experience in getting over those nerves and approaching people. Good for you! So you’re still stiff. This is the adrenaline running through your bloodstream. Adrenaline is released whenever we become excited or nervous. It is fueling our bodies. If you’re just standing there the adrenaline is moving nowhere. The energy is wasting away and in turn wasting your body and mind away as well. So what to do? Move around! Get the energy that was once so still to be moving. Scrunch your toes a bit. Wiggle your fingers. Start your approach. That’s right you have to get started on your performance.

Now it is said that people will look you up and down and pass judgment upon you before you even say a word. So you’re thinking, “Oh geez thanks man! Way to keep my confidence up!” Don’t worry! When you’re on your approach. Make it a confident approach. Don’t slouch. Walk with your head up and smile. Stand tall and be proud of who you are. So your walking and you’re getting closer to your chosen spectator right? You may be thinking that there’s still a chance to back out and go a different way. WRONG! Don’t think this. Again, believe in yourself. Repeat it in your head: I CAN DO THIS. Even mutter it underneath your breath if you wish. Heck you can even nod your head once in agreement to yourself. Now you’ve reached your spectator. Don’t just stand there. You might be thinking, well what do I say? Well hello is always a good opener. Stay calm make some conversation. Say hello and tell them what your name is. Tell them what you’re doing; this would be magic of course. Then politely ask them if they would care to watch you. If they say no then carry on to another person. You can move on knowing that you at least attempted it and didn’t back out. You gained some confidence. However if they say yes then you’ve succeeded in your approach and introduction.

If you don’t have your, let’s just say, cards out already go ahead and get them out; while doing this carry on the conversation. You see if you get to know this person a little better they themselves will begin to loose up. A certain trust will bond between you two. Even if it is for just those few minutes where you’re doing your routine. Trust is a big issue amongst people. If a quick trust is achieved this person will open themselves up a little. This is just what you want. Someone whose emotions are not held in is an ideal person to perform for. Now you must begin your routine. Before you do it take one last deep breath. Remember that you’ve already succeeded with your approach. You’ve got the confidence; now sustain it! Keep it with you. Go slow and don’t rush things. So now you’ve completed your routine and your spectator is floored! Once again be polite and say your goodbye. Make sure to thank them for watching. Leaving on a good impression is a good thing. Now walk away. CONGRADULATIONS! Look what you just did! You did all of that: scooping out the area, approaching, and performing. You did it all by believing in yourself.

Well I hope that was of some help to somebody. This was all just my opinion and thoughts. Thanks for taking the time to read this. Remember to believe in yourself. You can do it! Thanks and take care.

-Aaron

Post subject: thanks
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 3:21 am 
Penguin

Yo man awesome little inspiration you wrote here i really enjooyed it and i like your way of positive thinking keep that good attitude bro and well be sure to see each other at the top one day :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:20 am 
Penguin

I enjoyed it also. Thanks stealthwizard87, that was great!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:50 pm 
Penguin

Very good read and very applicable. Thanks for posting.
~A.C.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:41 am 
Penguin

Well done, little friend :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:44 am 
Penguin

tnx for sharing man, lots of great advices/pointers, i'll keep those in mind ;)

Tomer