View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What i am thinking of so far
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 5:34 pm 
born to perform.

Heres what im thinking im gonna have for my restaurant work which i will hopefully be starting next week-ish. Im gonna revolve alot around the spec signing a card. Im also buying the Restaurant workers handbook by jim pace.

Heres what i got as the tricks i just have to put in a good order:
Spec picks and signs a card
Ultimate Transpo
Kaps on fire
ACR
Paperclipped

Those are what i have revolving around a spec picking a card.

Im also thinking of doing these as well:
Out of this world
Quick trick
Biddle Trick
2 card monte (maybe)
Revolver
Jokers wild (still have to learn it :lol:)
Hot rod/color changing knives
stealth pen
Pyro perception
Sponge napkins
questionable trick
some other ON the Spot stuff i cant quite recall at the moment.

Im gonna wear cargo khakis with a short sleeved button down shirt. Im gonna have two pins on, one that says Tips are accepted, one that says caution: i use fire. I think im going to buy business cards and carry those around too. Im gonna have about 3-6 packs of cards each night with a few duplicates. Some sharpies. Any other advice would be great appreciated. Thanks a bunch

Ryan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 6:42 pm 
Penguin

out of this world is not a good walk around trick as it takes way too much time and may be boring for the spectator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 6:45 pm 
born to perform.

yea. i wasnt too sure on that one because of setup and it'll mean i have to carry around another deck...

Im also thinking of getting bigger finish as long as my parents will let me. Im right now putting out an order for 60$. Im getting the kaps on fire wallet and the restaurant workers book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 6:48 pm 
born to perform.

VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!!!!!
Make sure you get permission from the management before doing anything involving fire while inside of the restaurant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 7:58 pm 
born to perform.

oh yea. I know. Thats just common sense. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 10:41 pm 
born to perform.

Well, when it comes to restaurant magic, your opener should be quick and visual. You won't have the spec's full attention right away, so earn it when it counts, at the very beginning of your performance.

Once you've got their eyes and ears(they see you aren't messing around), you can start to talk a little more, using a more complex effect. They will be paying attention, so when you say "these three coins will jump from here to here", they'll be ready for it. Otherwise, they wouldn't even know what you were doing until you were done, and where's the magic in that?

That's done... Now they love you. Work towards your closing effect, and when you close out, make it memorable. The closing effect will have more room for good patter, which leaves more room for a good reaction. Build some suspense, and shatter reality. Then say thanks and walk on to the next table to do it again.

^This is just advice on how to routine the effects you listed. You've got some good stuff, but using it effectively will make a big difference.

EDIT: As for Kaps wallet, it should be the closer for an ambitious routine rather than proceed your acr. Dont make it jump to a flaming wallet and then make it hop to the top of the deck, do it the other way around. Once you've done the kaps wallet, pull a paperclipped "prediction" out of your wallet and floor your spectators.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:40 am 
Penguin

i also recommend u to buy a "1 way force deck". it's VERY good for the signed/teard cards u will be using all the time with the tricks u said... u will need to do a deck switch, but it's totally worth it.
i also recommed getting "on the loose" dvd's which i think all are good for restaurant work, and alll r totally amazing. if u can't afford them all u can buy one and then see what u wanna do from there.
i always think that dvd's is better then a single trick/gimmik, but maybe thats just me...
hope this helps a bit, later...