View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What tricks do you do?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:40 pm 
Penguin

I am about to start my restaurant act and would like to know everybody's tricks they use or their routines. I want some ideas so i can customize my routine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:20 am 
born to perform.

If you don't have a routine or don't know how to do a restaurant routine, chances are you aren't ready for restaurant work. This has also been done many times before, please search.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 1:17 pm 
Penguin

I am quite certain I am ready for work but I feel that my question I put up was a little off. I just wanted to know what other working restraunt magicians did in there routine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 8:20 am 
Penguin

I tried to start a forum like this too, but no one would post what tricks they would perform. Here it is:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/discuss/vie ... hp?t=40669

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:40 am 

Madmartigan wrote:
I am quite certain I am ready for work but I feel that my question I put up was a little off. I just wanted to know what other working restraunt magicians did in there routine.

It sounds like you have the idea that restaurant work is a good place to get started in magic. Nice idea, but, thoughts like that will bite you in the butt. A restaurant magi needs to be GOOD, if fact better than good. You have to have fresh routines constantly because if you work at a restaurant after you are there a while people will be coming to see you. If you only know the minimum 12 effects, you become BORING very quickly. So you have to constantly learn new effects with cards, coins, everyday objects, ect. Also you must PERFORM, not just do magic, but do it in a professional way with patter and interpersonal reactions with the dinner guests.

Yes it takes a minimum of 12 "tricks" to work for one night in a restaurant. You do 2 to 3 tricks per table but you can't do the same tricks for table 1 then repeat them for table 2 right next to #1. You can repeat the "tricks" for table 12, across the room just not where the nearby tables can see the same effect 2 or 3 times. Bores them, plus they can learn the secrets.

A restaurant magi rehearses at least 2 hours a day plus the 2 hours of practice for new effects that you learn. Yes, rehearse and practice are two different things. So you see this is NOT a job for beginning magi to "get their feet wet" in the performing world.