View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Im going for it this weekend
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 7:59 pm 
born to perform.

Howdy. Im heading out this weekend for my restaurant job, and just wanted to update you guys on what im doing.

Im gonna wear khaki cargo pants, either loafers or sneakers depending upon which restaurant accepts me, a red, long sleeve button down shirt with the sleeves rolled up, and a tie.

Heres what im going to do trick wise.

Spec signs a card first:
1) Ultimate Transpo
2) Ambitious card
3) Kaps on fire
4) Paperclipped

Some extras im gonna do if i feel like it:
Quick Trick
Stealth Pen
Biddle Trick
Pyro Perception
Revover
Masters time machine (IF ONLY I COULD DO IT RIGHT!!!!!)
Some Thumbtip vanishes

Stuff in my pockets:
3-5 decks (since each time i go to a table, the spec signs a card)
2 TTs
2 Sharpies
Stealth Pen
Business cards

Im gonna have 2 pins on my shirt, one saying tips are accepted, the other saying Caution: I use fire.

I was gonna say more, but i typed so much i forgot... if i remember ill tell you.

Ryan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:24 am 
born to perform.

Good luck... hope things work out for you. Don't doubt yourself, you'll probably do well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:39 am 
born to perform.

Thanks, and i just recieved some bad news, my kaps on fire wallet is back ordered... so i wont have it for a while. Should i wait for it to come, or should i just go on ahead and go for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:28 am 
born to perform.

Location: asylum Occupation: unemployed Hobbies: full-contact origami
have you ever actually practiced with Kaps fire wallet?

turn on sarcasm
who cares. should be pretty easy. just open the package and then head out to the restaurant immediately. no need to practice
turn off sarcasm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:30 am 
born to perform.

no, i havent practiced with it yet because i havent recieved it yet. I know that the fire is pretty dangerous. Yes, i do know that it wont be easy and i will practice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:42 pm 
born to perform.

If you feel you are ready ,then just leave it out of your routinues and when it comes,practice and then put it in there. Good luck to you and remember to be confident and have fun with it and the specs will too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:00 pm 

3-5 decks? Thats a heavy load. Is it all goin into your pockets? Pick up a One Way Force Deck and each time you do a signed card routine, force that one. 52 routines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:36 pm 
born to perform.

i was thinkin of something like that, but i want to leave something for each person i do the tricks for. Im gonna make sure everything in my pockets are worth it so there is no clutter. Ive been searching around stores like TJMAXX and Gap and stuff for the perfect pants. Ill have the decks in my lower cargo pockets, stealth pen and sharpie in one top pocket, wallet in the obvious spot, paperclipped card in the other top pocket, TT in with the paperclipped card, Pyro perception & lighter in the same pocket (i dont really even need to have pyro perception, its jsut an extra) , and im thinking about getting hot leads for my business cards btu until then, they will just be in my other back pocket.

As you can see, im really excited to be getting my first job and such so thats why i litterally have everything planned out to the max so... yea...

Thanks again for all your help.

Ryan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 6:12 am 
Penguin

I HIGHLY recmmend getting a "one way force deck". when u let a spectator pick a card out and sign it, this is the best way to do it. then, u deck switch the the regular deck and do ur routine. this thing saved me TONS of money from buying decks all the time... right now my "one way force deck" has about 30 cards, and the specs don't suspect a thing... sometimes at the end of the routine, i even deck switch again to show that all the cards changed to their card!!! then i make the deck disaapear and only leaving their card left in my hand with the signature, then hand it out as a gift.
that works best for me, and good luck at performing!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 2:50 pm 
born to perform.

jsut wanted to say i am heading to my local bennigans right now for the job. WIsh me luck!

Ryan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 4:02 pm 
born to perform.

sadly, i got turned down at bennigans because ANOTHER MAGICIAN FREAKING TOOK MY SPOT!!! :lol: Apparently hes a really good magician and he has a DVD so im gonna go meet him some time.

Luckily, i went to the 99 that was right down the street, met the manager, talked about whati want to do, he really liked me and i was happy, i showed him ultimate transpo, he liked it, im just gonna start off for free for practice and tips and such and then after a bit see if i can start getting paid. He just has to check with his boss first with a letter i am currently writing to him and if i get it, i can also get fed! Chicked tenders 2 nights a week! WOOT!!!

In conclusion, ryan is one happy camper right now. Im also making my business cards as well.

Ryan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 5:28 pm 
Penguin

NO NO NO NO!!!
don't work for free, if u wanna get tips, buy a book or ask about tips here!!! the restaurant work is not somewhere u can practice, it's somewhere u perform. if u call it practice or going first for tips and working for free, ur'e just not ready.
lets say u start to work for free, then get payed... u won't be payed a lot, coz u started out for free, which means u would get like 10-20$ an hour in my opinion, which is REALLY not much. if u want to start the job, name ur price to start with at 20$ and hour for the 1st night for the manager, and then he would tell love u for impressing all the guests and would even give u 25-30$ per hour.
by the way, if u would work for free the other magician might steal this restaurant from u as well, coz ur'e just a beginner in this buisness and he can say he has experience and stuff. u wanna show that u know what ur'e doing and that u have full confidence in urself. u need the set the first bar pretty high if u want to succeed in this buisness, setting the bar at 0$ or like 10$ an hour won't help u wiht anything. i hope this would help u thinking better on things, and i wish u the best of luck,

Tomer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:33 pm 

Tomer is right!!! Working for free is stupid. What you are telling the restaurant manager is "I am just a beginning amateur and not good enough to be paid."

As Tomer says, if you want to work for free just to get practice, then you are not ready to perform and are going to ruin your reputation and lower the expectation of all those who do restaurant work.

So many times I have seen in this forum posts form kids saying "I am 12 yrs old and work in restaurants" or "want to work in restaurants," because they think that restaurants are where you practice until you're good enough to perform real magic. Then they list off the gimmicks they have bought and practiced with for a half hour. These people are the reason it is hard to get restaurant work that pays as it should.

Remember that anything that is free is worth exactly that, NOTHING, and that is the attitude of the manager that just "hired" you (for nothing) thinks you're worth, NOTHING.

If you want to offer ONE free night as an audition, ONLY ONE night.

Go talk to other restaurants like Bennigan's and get a real job as a magician.

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:43 pm 
born to perform.

sorry. i said that wrong. What i meant wasnt practice. I dont even know why i wrote that. I mean he wants to see how good i am with the people and customers first before he can decide to pay me because i am underage. He also still has to check with his boss about me getting paid and he needs to check me out. Sorry about the confusion

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 4:56 pm 
born to perform.

Don't waste money on a one way force deck. just get another normal deck, whenever a card is signed always note what it was so you can take that card from your spare deck and put it into your performing one.