View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Money to spend what should I get
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 2:09 am 
Penguin

I have about $800 smackers and I want to change all of it into magic tricks... I like close up tricks and tricks that are examitable too or for the most part. I also like tricks the really make people go wow I want to buy some of the most powerful tricks. I love levitation effects. Basicly I just need help figuring out what to get just tricks I can do at a bar. Pretty much tricks you can really get some good recations out of some of the most powerful tricks you guys can think of. I know this question may have been asked before but hey I'm give it a whirl and hopefully I'll get some great resonses back from everyone..

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 2:14 am 
born to perform.

You can be the first to buy Bowl-o-rama from this site :lol: ,

Anyways, in the bar, if u are doing stage stuff, bowl-o-rama would be strong, but if ur just doing it in front of people at the counter, try the AOA series....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 2:37 am 
Penguin

just stuff I can pretty much carry around all day just bust out a trick from no where.. AOA stands for???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 2:46 am 
born to perform.

Art of Astonishment

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 2:54 am 
Penguin

Thanx Any other idea's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:48 am 
born to perform.

if your going to do magic mostly in a bar get Doc Easons Bar Magic videos. For a levitation effect in a bar people can sometimes get abnoxious so go with zero gravity you can do it surrounded.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 11:13 am 
born to perform.

You should look into getting On the Spot with Gregory Wilson. If you're interested in card magic (not knowing your skill level) you should pick up Born to Perform.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 11:28 am 
born to perform.

Save your money, $800 is alot to just spend on magic. Spend about $200 on magic and then see if you want more after your first purchase.
If you do wanna spend every cent then buy all of DARYL'S CARD REVELATIONS and ENCYCLOPEDIA OF CARD SLEIGHTS and GO CRAZY YOU LUCKY SOB!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 2:24 pm 
Penguin

i can't elive none of u said On the Loose with Bill Malone.
that was my best purches so far from penguin, i perform 90% of the tricks there in my routines.
if ur'e into stage magic and want to do some card manipulation get the Art of Card Manipulation. get it only if ur'e ready for some serious practicing weeks/months. u can't do tricks there in 15 min like other tricks.
i would get born to perform as a start to cards, or the Complete Card Magic - The Definitive Set (Volumes 1-7) (7 DVDs) , this set would go threw with u from begginer to expert. i wish this was out when i was just starting out... i would stay away from single tricks and i would concentrate on dvd's/books. don't get ANY gimmiks for now, first practice ur sleight of hand.
those r the stuff i can recommend, i got all except for the Complete Card Magic set, but it looks REALLY good (check out the demo).
i would not spend all the 800$ on one order, i think that if i were u i would first order the Complete Card Magic set.
that set would give u the info u need about cards. if u then want to improve ur card technic i would get the art of card manipulation.
thats what i think u should do, hope this helps a bit.

Tomer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 3:14 pm 
Penguin

what about fish sandwich or the raven. If i was u i would purchase all the good instant downloads from penguin. eg. tip of the tounge, fish sandwich, and probably get the masters time machine!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 4:49 pm 
born to perform.

You should spend at least $200 of it on buying gifts for me! I'll PM you a list shortly...

I'll also say Bill Malone's On the Loose if you're into card stuff Daryl's Sleight Encyclopedia DVDs, Ammar's Easy to Master Card Miracles. Greg Wilson's stuff is also great. But 800 seems a bit much to spend all on magic. surely there's something else out there that you want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:55 am 
Penguin

Well goodness, you definitely sound like a beginner, a rich one at that. The strongest close-up stuff won't cost you near $800. Shot you can pay me half that and I'll give you private lessons. If you spent $800 at one time you wouldn't be able to perform at least 80% of what you bought for like forever, because being a good magician isn't about the thousands of gimmicks/tricks you have but the quality of the magic (the way you present it and interact with the people watching). As far as what you should get ummm...:

-two decks of bicycle cards (red preferably)
-invisible deck is great
-Born to Perform is probably one of the better beginner videos out
-google "Sankey-tized" great value: has paper clipped, air tight, some coin stuff,... its just an awesome value
-coin bite
-Ring Leader
-twisted sister
-stealth pen

THOSE SHOULD BE SOME GOOD STARTERS TO YOUR SHOPPING LIST!!
OH YEA, SEND ME SOME FOR THE GREAT ADVISE :lol:
SAVE YOUR MONEY KID UNLESS YOU PLAN ON MAKING SOME MONEY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 3:04 am 
Penguin

I would have to agree that I'm a beginer and hate to admit it but I do have to agree with you on that and also it is about presentation. I was really good when I was younger thats all I used to do was magic tricks and now I'm since 10 years older now I'm no at step one again. Some of the simplest things that I could do now takes practice again but thats fine because I'm willing to spend my time and money with it because it was alot of fun. Lessons would be kinda cool but I think dvd's give me the same stuff. For alot cheaper. I have a couple of Michael Ammar videos really great information on them.. When I was younger I had some Tony Hassiny I think his name was tapes thoughs were fun. $800 bucks is a bit extrem right now I'm just perfecting my basic palms stuff like that.

Thanks for the info though if anyone has anyother info throw your stuff up

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:33 pm 
born to perform.

Cards:

If just starting... Born To Perform... four solid card routines included, as well as a number of sleights you will probably use on a daily basis when working with cards.

Card College(book set) or Daryl's Encyclopedia(dvd set)
These two will teach you just about everything you need to know about card sleights, and they serve as a great reference when another book mentions a move that you don't know. Card College includes the pass and some variations, so if you get Daryl's set and want to learn the pass, check out On The Pass or Pass With Care. Still, even though it doesn't have the pass, videos tend to be easier to learn from then books, so make your choice there.

Coins:

Modern Coin Magic should be your first purchase for coins. It contains tons of information on coin sleights, as well as many routines. Follow up this purchase with Ultimate Coin Magic or Revolutionary Coin Magic.

Gimmicks:

First off, you can't go wrong with an Invisible Deck. The effect is killer, and many presentations and uses for the deck can be created with just a little thought.

A Stealth Pen or any other pen through dollar usually gets great reactions.

Those are the only two I can think of at the moment that I use often.

Impromptu with everyday objects:

On The Spot with Greg Wilson... enough said.

-------

These are just some ideas to get you started. Other recommendations include Art of Astonishment, On The Loose, and Easy to Master Card Miracles. Also, get some sponge balls and the $10 sponge video, and maybe a TT and some silks.

One word of advice: don't get caught up purchasing lots of stuff and being decent at everything you learn... choose some effects you really like and master them, and you will get much further with your magic.