View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: R Paul Wilson's Restaurant Act DVD - Review
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:05 pm 
born to perform.

This is my first review. Paul Wilson's Restaurant Act is OK. That's it. Not great, not terrible. I don't feel as though I've completely wasted my money here, but I do feel as though it could have been better spent. Paul first performs his act, which involves some card magic, sponges, and a chop cup routine. His routines are fine, but I won't be performing them, mostly because I have other similar routines that fit my style better. Also, most, if not all, of the routines he teaches requires the use of bought props that you may or may not have. I do feel that Paul should have used different performance footage, because he wasn't getting very good audience reactions. It may have been the audience, the night, any number of reasons. Paul's explainations of the routines are fairly brief, and would probably have to be watched several times to get them down. The best part of the DVD are his tips on making sure you have a show that resets instantly so that you can quickly move to other tables, as well as bits on restaurant staff, tips, patter, etc.

Overall - not a bad buy, but not a great one either. For great material I'd sooner turn to On the Loose by Bill Malone. For restaurant working tips I really like Kirk Charles' Restaurant book, and I have heard great things about Jim Pace's Restaurant Workers book, but I haven't read it.

I wish my first review was for material that I could back up 100% and say it was great. Hopefully this will be helpful to some of you, and my next review will be glowing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:38 pm 
born to perform.

Thanks for the review. I had looked at this before, but now I think I'll stay away from purchasing it. I already have Pace's book, which tells you the ins and outs of restaurant work. If the routines are just OK, then I might have to pass on this one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:27 pm 
born to perform.

No problem. Good luck in your restaurant work.