View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: NO MESSAGE
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:11 pm 
Penguin

NO MESSAGE

Last edited by magicman15ci on Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:10 pm 

Whatever you do, DO NOT write him a letter. Your posts are the most confusing things to read.

If you want a job doing magic you are going to have to set an image as a professional. Proper grammar, punctuation, and etiquette. If you talk, write, or dress in a manner that is not proffessional you will not get hired for any respectable establishment.

I personally am not a professional magician, but I guarantee you that they will agree with that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:10 pm 
born to perform.

If you do a search you could find a lot of info on your question, I think all of its answered in here somewhere.

Obviously, make sure you explain to the manager what it is you are applying for.
Be polite, make sure you are well dressed and come prepared with a routine including some of your best tricks to blow him/her away.

Also, try to make the manager think that s/he needs you, not the other way around.
A good way of doing this is to find out how long it takes for the food to be served up from it being ordered. (eat at the restaurant a couple of times before you ask the manager to find out the time)
Say it takes 20 minutes normally for food to be served up, show and tell the manager what you can do to make this 20 mins, seem like 5 mins with an excellent routine- like I said, blow the manager away with some of your best effects.

With regards to wages, make sure you give the manager a good reason to want to pay you (hence a good routine).
Dont be blunt about getting paid, but dont beat around the bush either. Ask him/her how much they would pay you (providing they wanted to hire you) just dont let them try and take you for a mug in underpaying you.
Also, make sure you ask the manager about their policy on tips- do all tips go into a collection and shared out at the end, or do you get to keep what tips that you are given? This way, if you do get tipped, you will know what to do with the money without offending anyone.

As you can tell from this, I'm not the best help; their will be other people with better advise here.
Anyways, I hope this helps you in some way, but doing a search or talking to some other guys will help you further.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:27 pm 
Penguin

tallant wrote:
Anyways, I hope this helps you in some way, but doing a search or talking to some other guys will help you further.

It did, thanks a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:04 pm 
Penguin

u can say:
"i saw it took 15 minutes for the salads to arrive to my table, here's what i can do for you..."
i think u can start with that when u go to the manager. also, i should perform a routine to the manager that would be the same lengh as the routines at the tables. coz if u would make it shorter or longer it's not what u were hierd for. like said befor, there r many posts and threads about this topic, u can also check my thread for lots of quesitons that i asked, this was one of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:08 pm 

Remember that in magic presentation is the name of the game. A mediocre magi like Blaine looks good all because of presentation.

Because of this I have to agree with elimin8or23. Stay in school until graduation, work on your English spelling, punctuation, and grammer and then try to get a job.

Your presentation is one of a kid that just jumps around with no interest and would be at a restaurant until he got bored. You appear to have done that with your education. No one wants that as an entertainer. Without a good presentation you won't find work as a magician.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:41 pm 
Penguin

everyone has given great advise, i would just like to tell you how i ended up getting a restraunt job last year and i worked the restraunt for 6 months before moving on from it what happened was not planned but i was eating at the said restraunt with friends it was a friends birthday and i was asked to do a couple of tricks after the meal well instead of doing them privately i stood up and everyone saw me doing magic for the table and i caught the managers eye he came over and wanted to see some stuff he then took my number and he gave me a call and i was working there 2 weeks later 2 nights a week, not saying every time you go for a meal put a show on but if you see the manager hanging around it cant hurt as normally if they see you performing it beats a letter any day...good luck. :)