View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Getting a restauraunt magic job?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:16 pm 
Penguin

I am tring to get a tabble hopping job. I want to ask expierienced restauraunt magicians what is an effective way of getting a restauraunt magic job? What is a good way to get the manager to hire me?
What is considered a fair wage for a restauraunt magician? WHAt do i say when he/she asks me "how much?" Is a diner(like a local Diner) style restauraunt suitable for a restauraunt magician? Would suggesting workin for only tips for a little while be a good suggestion to give a manger, so he can have time to decide weather he wants to keep me??

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:48 pm 
Penguin

What I have done to get all my jobs is sent out this letter to all of my local Restaurants. Read it carefully, and it will answer the question of why the manager would want to hire me.

I know you want to increase your business profits.
I CAN HELP...HERE'S HOW

Your Restaurant may be so successful that your customers may have to wait to be seated. Once seated, they may once again have to wait for their meals to be served. The bad news is that you're losing customers because some people see that delay as a pain and just turn around and go elsewhere. On the other hand, you may have less traffic in your restaurant then you would like. Maybe your lunch hour is busy, but you would like more guests in the evening.

FORTUNATELY, THERE IS SOMETHING YOU CAN DO TO MAKE SURE THAT BUSY TIMES DON'T LEAD TO LOSSED BUSINESS. YOU CAN ALSO GENERATE MORE BUSINESS DURING SLOW PERIODS.

I work in harmony with your staff performing close- up magic, which is magic performed to small groups of people by a Magician who carries all he requires on his person and who can move smoothly from one group to another providing an unusual and impressive entertainment service.

"I BENEFIT YOU BY"
- Entertaining and amusing your customers while they are waiting for their tables. Their wait will seem a lot shorter and if people see they have something to do, they'll wait instead of turning around and going somewhere else.

- When your kitchen staff and waiters/waitress's are "up to their eyes," having entertainment can make a long wait for food seem shorter.

- A house magician can be a great marketing tool to drive traffic to your door during slower days.

- A house magician can benefit employees' tip incomes, by enhancing guests overall enjoyment which in turn should increase employee morale and reduce turnover.

SIMPLY PUT, I ENTERTAIN YOUR GUESTS TO ENSURE THAT THEIR NIGHT OUT IS FANTASTIC. I WANT THEM TO TALK ABOUT YOUR RESTAURANT, TO TELL FRIENDS, AND ABOVE ALL, MAKE YOUR RESTAURANT THEIR NUMBER ONE CHOICE TO GO WITH FRIENDS TO INCREASE YOUR PROFITS.

I am so positive that my entertainment in your restaurant will bring more happy memories to each customer, that I offer a "100 % Tear Up Your Check" GUARANTEE. If your guests do not have a great time, or if your business does not pick up for the better, I will tear up your check and perform for free. I have no need to worry though...No restaurant has ever had to take me up on my guarantee.

I will be stopping by your restaurant on__________________ at______. To further propose a plan to generate a more successful and happy business. If you wish not to have me attend at this time, or are not interested, please contact me two days prior of the above mentioned date.

Thank You.

This has gotten me hired 5 times out of the 5 times I have applied.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:16 am 
born to perform.

Just do a search on this subject...it comes up a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:51 am 

Cardmaster has great sales points. The only thing I would do differently is see the general manager in person. It is easy to throw a letter away and ignore it, but harder to ignore a real live person.

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:00 pm 
born to perform.

Paddy, What do you think about sending the letter and then either a follow up call or follow up visit with the manager? Just wondering. I have Kirk Charles' Complete Guide to Restaurant & Walkaround Magic and he suggests to send letters but always follow up. Just wanted to get your point of view. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:16 pm 
Penguin

Great letter Cardmaster....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:03 pm 

the1complainer wrote:
Paddy, What do you think about sending the letter and then either a follow up call or follow up visit with the manager? Just wondering. I have Kirk Charles' Complete Guide to Restaurant & Walkaround Magic and he suggests to send letters but always follow up. Just wanted to get your point of view. Thanks

I follow Zig Ziglar and other sales teacher's point of view on that. There are 3 ways to book a show (restaurant) letter, phone, or in person. They are listed from the least effective to the most. In person is the most effective so why not use that, saves wasted energy.

Paddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:12 am 
born to perform.

Thanks for your thoughts Paddy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:20 pm 
Penguin

Thanks everyone :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:02 pm 
born to perform.

I don't table hop but have learned alot from other people and the internet. Approach people after they have had their order taken but before their food has arrived so you don't disturb them. When you approach them don't force them to watch your magic. Introduce yourself and explain that you were hired by the management to come around and entertain them while they are waiting for their food. Don't open with a card trick. Only do 2, 3, or 4 short tricks so you can stop anytime that the food comes. Make about 3 short routines that are about 5 minutes each. Only do tricks that require little or no table space because it is rude to start moving things aside to make room for your magic trick. Finally, if you really want to get into table hopping, you should get a book on the subject like Jim Paces "Restaurant Workers Handbook." I don't have it but it seems to be a widely recommended book here at the Café.
Also, about getting a job. Find a restaurant that is usually busy. Preferrably one that is not a franchise because they are more strict about who they can hire for entertainment and it's harder to talk to the person in charge. Even though franchises are harder to get a job at, there are many people on the forums who work at places like applebees. Don't talk to the cashiers, ask to speak to the head manager or person incharge of entertainment. Explain that you are a magician and start telling the manager how you can make the customers happier, make the wait time seem shorter, and any other way you can think of that would benefit the management. The manager isn't going to hire you because you are a good magician or even because he/she likes you, he/she will hire you to increase business and make more money so make sure you have several ways to do that and explain them all to the manager. Good luck table hopping. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 4:33 pm 
Penguin

I worked at a restraunt as a table hopper for half of last summer. I went to the manager and asked him in a salsemen like voice and asked for a job. He gave me a piece of lined paper and said I should get references.
I took the paper, crumbled it up, and floated it in his face. He gave me a new piece of paper for my parents to sign saying I could work there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 8:39 am 
Penguin

GOOD JOB vorannon!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:25 am 

ShaneW wrote:
I don't table hop but have learned alot from other people and the internet. Approach people after they have had their order taken but before their food has arrived so you don't disturb them. When you approach them don't force them to watch your magic. Introduce yourself and explain that you were hired by the management to come around and entertain them while they are waiting for their food. Don't open with a card trick. Only do 2, 3, or 4 short tricks so you can stop anytime that the food comes. Make about 3 short routines that are about 5 minutes each. Only do tricks that require little or no table space because it is rude to start moving things aside to make room for your magic trick. Finally, if you really want to get into table hopping, you should get a book on the subject like Jim Paces "Restaurant Workers Handbook." I don't have it but it seems to be a widely recommended book here at the Café.
Also, about getting a job. Find a restaurant that is usually busy. Preferrably one that is not a franchise because they are more strict about who they can hire for entertainment and it's harder to talk to the person in charge. Even though franchises are harder to get a job at, there are many people on the forums who work at places like applebees. Don't talk to the cashiers, ask to speak to the head manager or person incharge of entertainment. Explain that you are a magician and start telling the manager how you can make the customers happier, make the wait time seem shorter, and any other way you can think of that would benefit the management. The manager isn't going to hire you because you are a good magician or even because he/she likes you, he/she will hire you to increase business and make more money so make sure you have several ways to do that and explain them all to the manager. Good luck table hopping. :D

For one who is not a restaurant worker you give EXCELLENT ADVICE!!!!! Everyone should listen to you, they can learn a lot.

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:39 am 
Penguin

Hi,

Firstly, I wanna say that it was very nice and informative reading all your inputs...

I wish to perform street or close-up magic in restaurants and pubs too, and even places near the beach.

This is my idea. I thought of making a short video of myself showing magic to other people, and then sending these videos (in the form of vcds) to restaurant managements and pubs.

What do u guys think?

What i think is that its good, but there are a few problems.

What if they dont even watch the vcd?
Secondly, Ill have to get a video camera, and that will cost a bit.

My other concerns are how much should a magician charge for working in a restaurant? And how long should he or she work in any particular day?

Thank you.

Kammall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:35 am 

Kammall wrote:
Hi,...This is my idea. I thought of making a short video of myself showing magic to other people, and then sending these videos (in the form of vcds) to restaurant managements and pubs....My other concerns are how much should a magician charge for working in a restaurant? And how long should he or she work in any particular day?

Thank you.

Kammall

Well the video idea would work except for one thing. The idea is lousy. Managers of restaurant are too busy to watch a video ad of you. All they care about is; will it make money for restaurant. That's what you have to convince them of, that you're good enough to make the restaurant money. I don't know how long you have been doing magic, but to work in a restaurant don't think you can be a "2 month wonder."

There are too many of us that have been doing magic for years in restaurants and have seen somebody who just started learning and uses a lot of gimmicks try to get in the restaurant scene. You better be darn GOOD.

As to the rate it will depend on what part of the world you live in, some places you can charge more.