View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Restaurant Routines
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 11:02 pm 
Penguin

I was wondering if any of you who work in restaurants would post a few of your routines. I have a COUPLE of my own worked out, but I wanna order some new stuff and it would help me get an idea for what to get (and building blocks for some new routines). Thanx.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 11:03 pm 
born to perform.

Shouldn't this be in the restaurant walkaround forum? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 11:25 pm 
born to perform.

This should be moved...

Also, Why not post a couple of your routines first. Then we can see you are legit (Not saying you aren;t. but some may doubt it) and we can also get a hint at your style and see what you like. This will also keep me and others from reccomending what you already have. :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:38 am 
born to perform.

ROUTINE #1 - I have been developing routines and what I have tried to achieve with this one is so that I could perform it with ease, using no tables and carrying the least amount of materials. I also wanted to have a theme going one but in a way where I could perform a card routine, coin routine & bills routine so even though there a theme it will also pack a variability that distinguish them from one another. Anyways I haven’t performed this routine yet in my fathers restaurant but I have been practicing it for a week now so when I do everything comes as planned.

1.) Cards Routine

a.) Wild Cards (The Tamed Card) - The magician asks the spectator to cut the deck and pick the card they cut too without seeing it while the magician shows a pack of 7 cards to be all the same suit in hope that their chosen card will match but it turns that it wasn’t even close. Now the magicians asks the spectator if he could change their card into the same suit as the ones in the pack but in turn all the seven cards change into the spectator is chosen card one by one throwing them into the spectator is hand!

What I like about this particular card effect is that it seems so fair because every single cards you change ends up in the spectators hand for inspection so the fact that this can be done in walk-around situation is a big plus.

b.) Svengali Deck - The magician proceeds & asks for the spectator to choose yet another card so the magician aks them to hold it and take the card and try to change the first selected card into the one in their hand so they try miserably because it turn out again that his second selected card was the one that turn in the first selection. Then the magician change all the cards into the suit of the first selection while displaying them as fair as possible and then the magician wave the hand magically changing the bottom card into the second selected card & then show all the cards change back to normal.

One thing is changing 7 card and another is changing 52 cards so I hope by this point they are amazed.

2.) Coins Routine

a.) Wild Coins - The magician ask the spectator to inspect three half dollar coins so they do and then the magician take it back & wave them above a gold ring, neckless or whatever else that have gold in it because each of the half dollars will visually change into a gold half dollar one by one while throwing them in the other hand. Then the magician shakes the gold coins but when he opens the hands all three of the half dollars change back to normal and quickly handing them for inspection.

This is a very visual coin effect that requires practice but ones you have it down it becomes very easy to do and the coins could change into whatever you have for example Chinese coins, copper coins or whatever but I’ll use gold coins in this particular routine.

b.) Buu - The magicians will ask the spectator to pick one of the three coins & hand it over while you take out a Hershey Kiss Chocolate and puts it in the spectator is hand while waving the half dollar over so the coin visually change and first it looks like a gold coin again but it truly is a chocolate in a shape of a half dollar wrapped in gold aluminum just like the Hershey Kiss so at the end everything is examine & theirs to keep exept the two real half dollars of course.

This effect is an idea of mine and I have made it so that the real half dollar change at the finger tips so it truly looks like real magic.

3.) Bills Routine

a.) 3D Cash ($1's to $5's to $10's) - The magician takes his walled out & take four dollars counting it as fair as possible so the magician then asks the spectator to do the same but instead take a $5dollar bill & $10 dollar bill and place the $5 in one hand & the $10 in the other. Now the magician wave the four dollars above the $5 dollar and they all change in a very clean manner to fives. Then the magician repeats the same thing but over the $10 changing all the fives to tens!

This have become a reputation maker for me I mean people love it and some to this point truly believe that I magically change anything I want so by this point without I even ask the take their own money so I can help them a little if you know what I mean.

b.) C.R.E.A.M ($1 to $100) - The magician picks $1 bill that has been taken out from the spectator and folds it into forth while saying that to this point you can even change the bill by pure though so then the magician waves the finger slightly over the bill visibly changing it to a $100 but then the magicians tells that he haven’t develop this ability enough for the bill to stay that way forever so then magician slowly shakes the $100 showing that it fades away turning back into $1.

I believe that this will close my routine in a good note so that will be all I’ll be performing. PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:45 pm 
Penguin

I never open with a card effect. You need something like coins or fire to get them watching. If you are doing svengali deck routines as your opener it seems that maybe you are not ready for restaurant work. Just a thought...If you do effects like the one you mentioned with a gimmicked deck then people will want to examine the deck. Are you prepared for that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:13 pm 
Penguin

hart what are you talking about some of the greatest magicians in the world use gaffed decks. just because you use a gaffed deck does not mean you are not skilled in sleight of hand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:24 pm 
born to perform.

Hart,

As a restaurant worker, what are your suggestions on a card effect done on the table (an effect where you need to spread the cards or something)? I want to see what your thoughts are on this, since, I do not want to invade on the specs surface, however, a lot of card tricks involve table work. Also, your point about never (well, not never, but rarely) starting out with a card effect (I think Paddy brought this up as well) makes a lot of sense. Almost everyone's seen cards (not good cards, but cards) and most of the time you will be judged, just because the last time they saw a card trick was not very great. Plus it brings a new kind of magic experiance to the spectator.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:37 pm 
born to perform.

I start with a packet trick called The Tamed Card from Visions of Wonder and then I go to a Svengali Deck routine I put together but even so I don’t think just because I want to perform with a gimmick deck I am not qualify for restaurant work that is ridicules. Thanks supermancr21 for backing me up with this! I think it depends in the way you time yourself that will prevent questions being ask I mean I’ll transition from the Svengali Deck routine too my Coins Routine as smooth as possible to prevent this to happen. Now one thing that you mentioned was to never start with a card trick which I in some point I could agree but not 100% so maybe I could open with the effect bellow to get their attention.

HOT SAUCE - A pack of hot sauce appears from a burst of fire. When opened, smoke slowly rolls out the top!

Anyways thank for your suggestion even thought I don’t agree completely.