View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The Big E
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 3:14 pm 
Penguin

I just recently got hired on a trial basis for the Storrowton Tavern in the "Big E" (A HUGE New England attraction in MA) and I'm PUMPED! I'm going to work Saturday nights for three hours before the band comes out, and they want me there throughout the summer and possibly into the Big E itself, which draws people from all over the country! That means I'll have permission to work the streets just outside the restaurant during one of the busiest times of the year here!

I've been working on some cool routines, plus some of my bread and butter routines I hope will go over well. The house that serves as the tavern is about 200 years old, so it's very atmospheric. I can't wait...

One question, or request for ideas, I'm planning to do an effect with my business card so I can leave it with the guests. Should I close with this (it's very strong), leaving them to talk about perhaps hiring me for parties without feeling pressured by me standing there while they do, or should I open with it and leave it on the table for the whole mini-show? Either way will be fine, I'm sure, but which seems best? Thanks guys! :D

Pj

Post subject: Re: The Big E
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:16 pm 
born to perform.

magicman202 wrote:
I just recently got hired on a trial basis for the Storrowton Tavern in the "Big E" (A HUGE New England attraction in MA) and I'm PUMPED! I'm going to work Saturday nights for three hours before the band comes out, and they want me there throughout the summer and possibly into the Big E itself, which draws people from all over the country! That means I'll have permission to work the streets just outside the restaurant during one of the busiest times of the year here!

I've been working on some cool routines, plus some of my bread and butter routines I hope will go over well. The house that serves as the tavern is about 200 years old, so it's very atmospheric. I can't wait...

One question, or request for ideas, I'm planning to do an effect with my business card so I can leave it with the guests. Should I close with this (it's very strong), leaving them to talk about perhaps hiring me for parties without feeling pressured by me standing there while they do, or should I open with it and leave it on the table for the whole mini-show? Either way will be fine, I'm sure, but which seems best? Thanks guys! :D

Pj

How many business cards are produced or handed out during the effect? I would think that if it is a very strong effect as you say, I would end with it. Meanwhile, you can still have your business cards on the table through out the whole show.
Congratulations on the job!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:12 am 
Penguin

i agree with the last post. i personally think that ending with the buisness card leaves the audiance more inthusiastic (have no idea how to spell it), i think that when u end with it, the spectators would want to hire u and if u somehow burn ur card or have it signed, they also get to keep it which is great.

congrets on the new job, keep up the good work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:16 am 
Penguin

It's the business card effect from 22 blows to the head, plus one of Paul Harris's effects, both of which would leave an initialed business card on the table. I'm thinking of ending with it, or certainly keeping it close to the end so it's one of the last things they'll remember when I leave the table. Thanks for the input, I'll let you know how it goes!

Pj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:33 pm 
Penguin

oh, don't forget the trick "a sucker is born every minute", it's gret to give away buisness cards. u can also make a lot of more ways to hand out ur buisness card... i do many with card tricks. u can get the buisness cards at ur bicycle card size and do wonders. thats what i did, and befor i add my routine, i show them the card, do a snap change and there's my buisness card which i hand out. there r also many other things i do, thats was just an example of one.

Tomer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:41 pm 
Penguin

try Jim Pace's HOT LEADS, its a spectacular way to hand out a business card, here's the demo of it... http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=718 have fun and good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:15 am 

LuNaTiK wrote:
try Jim Pace's HOT LEADS, its a spectacular way to hand out a business card, here's the demo of it... http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=718 have fun and good luck!

That's one that you may not be able to use as it involves fire. Remember a little over a year ago in Rhode Island with that band (the Great White) burning down the club and killing over 100 people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:46 pm 
born to perform.

i believe the big e is outside

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:23 pm 
Penguin

It is, Lord Vader, but this place is a restaurant located within the fairgrounds and is in business year-round. If anyone goes to the Big E in September, and if I'm working during the Big E, swing in! I'll hopefully be able to stroll around outside the restaurant to "bring in business," so be on the lookout! :D

Pj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 10:27 pm 
Penguin

So I just finished my restaurant gig at the Storrowton, and it went really well! I'm booked every third Saturday now. :D

I did a whole medley of things tonight, got my business cards out (thanks for the tips!) and had a few "cash handshakes" lol. I wasn't expecting those, but the owner said it was fine to take them. It was a good time, thanks for the support and the advice guys!

Pj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 10:54 pm 
born to perform.

Glad to hear that everything went well for you tonight pj. With the cards you pass out, are you wanting to do birthdays or just work at a business?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:01 am 
Penguin

I do kid shows and adult shows, plus themed shows for like Halloween and Christmas. One lawyer asked if I could work a business dinner, one family asked for a birthday show for their son, so I'll hopefully get all kinds of work out of this. Just putting the card down without really saying much about it sort of pushed them to ask me what I do, which was nice and non-intrusive. :)

Pj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 2:27 pm 
born to perform.

Well I hope you get plenty of calls :D . I want to start doing birthdays on the side. It is just kinda of hard for me, I really don't have much time on the weekends. I usually have more time during the week and most people want a party Friday thru Sunday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:24 am 
born to perform.

Thats a nice gig, I go to the BIG E most years,you will have nice exposure since tens of thousands attend. There is one guy who has a booth every year that demos and sells basic tricks,think he has a mustache.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:42 am 
Penguin

Yeah, I've seen that guy...he's not very admirable in that he demo's all these crazy effects with cards, then does the stupid moving mouse thing and says "All of which you'll find in here." as he throws out little magic package. I bought it when I was younger for 20 bucks and found 3 or four dollar store tricks and no "how to" on the card work! I feel like going up to the booth now with white gloves on and a pack of bikes in my pocket, taking one glove off, slapping him with it, and challenging him to a good ol' fashioned duel!

I'll be out in the street in front of the restaurant during the Big E, trying to bring people into the patio for drinks with some magic. The owner was pumped when I told him the idea, so I hope it works out! I'll try to get a penguin button or something so anyone on here can recognize me and we can chat. Thanks again, guys!

Pj