View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: hired at restraunt start next week!
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:55 pm 
Penguin

HI i just got hired to perform magic at Fazoli's wednesday nights for kids night in grove city OHiO if any has any questions on tricks to perform for restraunt just give me a buzz and i will be more than happy to help you i have been performing professionally for 11 years 4 of those in restraunts or if you have any suggestions just private message me thanks very much PENGUIN ROCKS keep up the great work oz and staff :twisted: :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 7:36 am 
born to perform.

Congratulations on the job mrmagic. Also it is nice to see someone with experience offering help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 8:01 am 
born to perform.

congrats. I just got my job 3 weeks ago and it freakin rocks. Ive made about 97 bucks in tips off of 10 hours. Im performing today for 57 U.S. troops that had the privelige of coming back to america from Iraq at my restaurant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:26 am 
Penguin

Hi,

Id like some advice from u guys..I plan to do magic professionally...What i have in mind is to video some of the tricks that i do, and send it to organisations and event companies...Its basically street magic, not stage magic. What do u think?

And about doing magic in a restaurant or pub, how does it work? Won't people be irritated if ure gonna show them magic while they are eating?

Thanks!

Kammall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:42 pm 
Penguin

Kammall wrote:
Hi,

Id like some advice from u guys..I plan to do magic professionally...What i have in mind is to video some of the tricks that i do, and send it to organisations and event companies...Its basically street magic, not stage magic. What do u think?

And about doing magic in a restaurant or pub, how does it work? Won't people be irritated if ure gonna show them magic while they are eating?

Thanks!

Kammall

Nah, they won't be irritated if you perform while they eat. It's the sauce on the steak. The best effect is to wait until you see a guy sliding out of his seat and going to a knee in front of his date. Wait a second, he's going to pull out a ring. When he does, take the ring from his hand and link it with other rings. It'll bring the house down!! :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:47 am 
born to perform.

Quote:
The best effect is to wait until you see a guy sliding out of his seat and going to a knee in front of his date. Wait a second, he's going to pull out a ring. When he does, take the ring from his hand and link it with other rings. It'll bring the house down!!

Yeah, and then you can do the Armbuster trick (http://www.penguinmagic.com/search.php) with a real cast! Or the amazing escape from a hospital bed trick!

Robert V Frazier

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 8:51 am 
born to perform.

Kammall wrote:

Thanks!

Kammall

Generally you'd perform before a table's food arrives. If you're really interested in restaurant magic, check out Kirk Charles' book, as well as Jim Pace's book. Both full of good info on restaurant magic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 9:03 am 
born to perform.

Congrats, let us know how it goes. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 10:27 am 
Penguin

Thank you guys for the replies...Its nice to hear all your inputs and advice...Ive actually emailed one pub...Duh! Thats not enough! I know, but i tried looking for the email accounts of other pubs...That was really hard to find...But im working on it....

Will try harder...And I live in Singapore...dont have much resources for magic here...Any idea where i can get those books Mercury52? Any particular internet site? Will penguin magic have it?

Thanks.

Kammall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:21 pm 
born to perform.

Location: Oh yeah? Well a 7 nation army couldnt hold me back biaaaaaaaaaaaaatch
Quote:

I think its a great idea to send performance videos. Just not Street magic videos. You're going to be viewed a a pro. And pro's go go running around the streets with a svengali deck and a handy cam. Try to set up a free parler show with lots of people and a good camera. If someone like Jon Cooke is watching. It will have the publs calling you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 7:28 am 
born to perform.

When you e-mail or post mail a pub or any business, you need to find out who the manager is or the person who makes the decisions around the business. You can first call and find out if the business' web site doesn't tell you. Direct your mail to this person and let them know in your note that you will be following up with a phone call. That way, when you do call you can say, "Hello, this is ____. _____ should be expecting my call." The manager will also have you somewhat in their mind already, assuming they read their (e)mail.

If the business doesn't currently have a magician;

Don't just tell them that you perform magic. Tell them you would like to meet with them to introduce the idea of having your services entertain their customers. At this point ONLY work on selling a MEETING with them. Work on selling your entertainment at the meeting. On the phone they may ask how much you charge, etc. Just tell them that your rates are good and your performance is fabulous but that is best realized in person.

If they keep insisting on knowing a price that means they have some interest already and are mostly concerned about what it is going to cost them. Continue to avoid giving them a specific price and assure them that your rates are affordable and how much you would really like to meet in person.

At this point, if they haven't commited to a meeting and you really want the gig you can tell them that your customary charge is a certain amount per hour but that you are willing to work with them. You may offer to perform on a trial basis to see how it goes. After you have performed at their business once or twice you should try and negotiate a contract for a certain number of shows to be paid at a certain rate. Kirk Charles' book goes in to that subject better. You can google search for his book.